• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Random Cool Photo Thread

Greg Gale

I know, it's remarkable how scarred that landscape is but hardly surprising when you consider the intricate trench systems and the sheer amount of artillery bombardment that occurred.

I want to take a trip to the Somme but my wife does not - she says it will be too depressing. One of those things I'll have to do by myself or with a chum.

I want to lay a poppy in the sector where I know he fell.

I did a tour about 10 years ago or so. Ypres, Somme, Verdun...Very sobering. Those scars aren't going to disappear from the Earth for a very long time. At many of the battlefields you can only walk a narrow path, because the rest of the area still has unexploded shells. They keep sheep there to cut the grass and well...find the shells...BAAAA-mm

Lochnagar looks way bigger in person. I may be mistaken but there were 4 chambers filled with explosives, dug under the German lines. 2 of them exploded, in 1916, 2 didn't. One was hit by lightning in the 80s and exploded, it could be heard all the way from London. There's still one left somewhere, nobody knows exactly where, waiting for a lightning strike...

FlakMagnet

IMG_2977.jpeg

Swedish Saab Viggen intercepting Soviet Submarine S-363 off swedish waters