• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Random Cool Photo Thread

Enigma1938

Here you go, detonation of the Hawthorne Ridge mine on the first day of the Somme. That's one hell of a big bang...

100568.jpg
Such a forgotten mine near messines belgium just exploded suddenly 1955 after a lightning strike. It blew a giant crater in the landscape. Fortunately no one was hurt

Smithy

She's trying hard bless her. Third from the left looks particularly smug so maybe she received a compliment.

Not sure about the originality of the photo.

View attachment 163361

“My God Helga …. You’re going to poke someone’s eye out with those things !!”

You always give the magnetos a bit of a tweak to get the motor running!

Ok I'm get my coat on the way out :)

YoungMedic

WWI trench system at Beaumont-Hamel, France today. This was an area which was unsuccessfully attacked on the 1st July 1916, the opening day of the Battle of the Somme. Anything Somme tugs at my heart-strings a bit as one of my family was lost on that first morning assault and to this day has no-known grave.

Sobering that the scars of over a 100 years ago are still visible in the landscape...

main_1500.jpg

YoungMedic

Ive been told the 4 parts of the song tell the story of the taking of Beaumont Hamel. The first part is the march into the Hamel, the second is the rally, the third part (starts at 0:53) is the actual battle and bombardment as phrased by the birl interrupting the rhythm, and the fourth the victory for capturing the Hamel. It's really amazing to listen in that frame of mind.