• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Random Cool Photo Thread

FlakMagnet

IMG_2500.jpeg

Street fighting with the Marines, Seoul. 1950

Smithy

View attachment 159019
Fighting the Commies? Well, LBJ pulled my number and I’ve got to answer the call. These things? Hello Canada.

That python is real but I've seen that photo of the centipede before. It's big but not as big as it appears because of the perspective - the grunt is holding the thing away from him and it's also photographed from a lower perspective. Still bloody big though.

There are 133 species of snakes in the jungles of Vietnam and 131 are poisonous. The worst are kraits, cobras and bamboo vipers - and they also happen to be the most common. Hornets could also be deadly if stung enough. As Vietnam vet Leroy Thompson said Vietnam was "A mean place to fight."

Jennison

What kind of snake was called a "two step"? Is that a krait? F*ck that Smithy. If I saw any of these critters I'd head for Da Nang (before 1975) quicker that sh*t through a goose. Throw me in the pokey, I don't care.

Smithy

What kind of snake was called a "two step"? Is that a krait? F*ck that Smithy. If I saw any of these critters I'd head for Da Nang (before 1975) quicker that sh*t through a goose. Throw me in the pokey, I don't care.

Yup, the krait. Very poisonous. The procedure was to call for a medevac, in the meantime, a H shaped cut was made in the wound to suck out as much poison as possible. After that a tourniquet was made, extremely tight using a gun sling or belt, so tight the veins would stick out. During this process they tried to keep the grunt as calm as possible as panic would increase the heart-rate and make the venom circulate faster.

Really nasty things and very difficult to see in the undergrowth.

Jennison

Yup, the krait. Very poisonous. The procedure was to call for a medevac, in the meantime, a H shaped cut was made in the wound to suck out as much poison as possible. After that a tourniquet was made, extremely tight using a gun sling or belt, so tight the veins would stick out. During this process they tried to keep the grunt as calm as possible as panic would increase the heart-rate and make the venom circulate faster.

Really nasty things and very difficult to see in the undergrowth.
Way more than I needed to know. I’m standing on my office desk now….