• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Random Cool Photo Thread

Shanghai-Mayne

IMG_5943.jpeg

Pilot

A solemn memorial in Holland to a B-17 Flying Fortress that crashed nearby in 1944. I'm wondering how much English the thoughtful Dutchman knew. The memorial reads:
"B-17G 42-31135 ‘Suzy Sag Tits’ maakte samen met 20 andere B-17 Flying Fortresses onderdeel uit van de A Group."

View attachment 157207
I believe its meant for his compatriots, to pay respect, hence not in English.
Many sites like this in France, only french, no translation.
Several have both or all three languages ( French, English, German ), but they are mostly in tourist areas… unfortunately..

Smithy

Still on a Vietnam theme,,,

Terrific photo of a Marine gunner laying down fire with "the Pig" on an NVA position during the Battle of Hue in February '68.

Please click on the image for full res as it really is a fantastic bit of true combat photography. Yes it's suffering from camera movement but that's because they're under fire with rounds incoming as it was taken.

oS8Ft8a.jpg

taiAtari

I believe its meant for his compatriots, to pay respect, hence not in English.
Many sites like this in France, only french, no translation.
Several have both or all three languages ( French, English, German ), but they are mostly in tourist areas… unfortunately..
This particular memorial is actually in Dutch, English and German and quite extensive in its information and has a qr code for more background info. I guess @Jennison refers to the bomber's name, which the people who made the memorial most certainly would understand. But then again, it is its name.

7947200524204458.jpg

Jennison

This particular memorial is actually in Dutch, English and German and quite extensive in its information and has a qr code for more background info. I guess @Jennison refers to the bomber's name, which the people who made the memorial most certainly would understand. But then again, it is its name.

View attachment 157249
This was purely tongue-in-cheek, just as the crew members of that ship would have appreciated ;)

adwaylor

Friday in all its glory. Just look at these guys—pretty much every type of jacket from that time is represented here. From varsity jacket to B-7 coat... Damn, how is this guy not hot? Judging by the others, I'd guess the temperature didn’t drop below 50 degrees (Fahrenheit), but maybe this guy gets cold easily. Either way, he’s definitely not freezing behind the wheel.​

"Belly tank racer.

Essentially a dry lake racer made from a WW2 aircraft drop tank, popular in the late 40s/50s. What’s particularly great about this shot is all the surplus flight gear on show, including a B-7 (must have been damn hot!), A-2, B-15A and possibly an N-1 deck jacket. Paired with the denim and other clobber, these guys look fucking awesome."

via garb_and_gear
garb_and_gear_post_17_09_2021_12_40_332664654853990676683.jpg

Jennison

A direct flak burst amidships essentially destroyed much of the fuselage of this B-17, and yet it made it back. A testament to the ruggedness of the Flying Fortress. They weren't kidding when they instructed B-17 pilots to "just bring the biggest piece home." Notice the ball turret has been blown out, too.

1725028921482.jpeg

B-Man2

Friday in all its glory. Just look at these guys—pretty much every type of jacket from that time is represented here. From varsity jacket to B-7 coat... Damn, how is this guy not hot? Judging by the others, I'd guess the temperature didn’t drop below 50 degrees (Fahrenheit), but maybe this guy gets cold easily. Either way, he’s definitely not freezing behind the wheel.​

"Belly tank racer.

Essentially a dry lake racer made from a WW2 aircraft drop tank, popular in the late 40s/50s. What’s particularly great about this shot is all the surplus flight gear on show, including a B-7 (must have been damn hot!), A-2, B-15A and possibly an N-1 deck jacket. Paired with the denim and other clobber, these guys look fucking awesome."

via garb_and_gearView attachment 157275

Look at the different types of military jackets in this photo … !!

Smithy

"HATEFUL, THIS IS PRIMNESS, FIRE MISSION. CONCENTRATION PAPA INDIA FIVE ZERO NINER. VOICES IN STREAM BED. ONE ROUND, WILLY PETER. WILL ADJUST...

...HAVE THEM COME LEFT ONE HUNDRED AND FIRE FOR EFFECT…

...KEEP THE FIRE COMING. CALL FOR AREA FIRE AND HIT THE OTHER BANK. I CAN SEE MORE THAN TWO HUNDRED. POUR IT ON..."

US Army M107 175mm gun providing fire support for a FO (forward observer)...

cTxVJYh.jpg

ZuZu

"Belly tank racer.

via garb_and_gearView attachment 157275

I always like this picture- these guys are wearing my official cool guy uniform- cool jeans and cool jackets. I dress the same- just missing the youth.