• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Prevention of Zipper Tape Fraying

Jennison

I’ve been reading what I can find regarding this question, but all I see is what one can (can’t really) do once the pin end of zipper tape starts to fray. My question, for those who’ve done it successfully, is how do you prevent fraying in the first place (short of not zipping up), especially with authentic cotton tape? I' have an original Conmar zip on one of my jackets, and that tape seems thinner and flimsier than say, a Talon or Crown.

Last edited:

Dany McDonald

Hello Jennison,

Zip (engage pin) very carefully and take your time with vintage hardware, especially Crown chevron zips, etc... I have not found a way to consolidate fraying zipper tape especially at the bottom, once the fabric is frayed.

Hope this helps.

Dany

Silver Surfer

A dab of Aileen’s leather. Glue applied to both sides of the male side starter zipper tape will help to forestall fraying. When applied, squish it so there is no bead, as that will inhibit seating the pin into the zipper and starter box. This process is like low cost insurance policy, and will not help already separated starter pin.

Jennison

Please share pics…
Cheers
Hi Pilot: There's no damage to the tape. This is for preventative maintenance, and something I'll consider for all my jacket zippers. Not sure what a photo would show other than ordinary zipper tape.

Jennison

Thanks for the tip! Plus, it's Amazon Prime Day and a 4oz bottle was only $3.71. I think I'll treat all my zippers with this stuff, but especially the Conmar. Not sure why that tape is so flimsy compared to the others, but it is.

Jennison

Are you referring to compromising the functional integrity of the zipper, or keeping the zipper in it's original condition because it's original? If the former, I'm all ears. If the latter, the glue is just water soluble PVA adhesive and as such, should be reversible.

Dany McDonald

keeping the zipper in it's original condition because it's original... Adding glue to the tape will affect value, originality etc.

If it ain't broken, why... ;)

But it's your jackets in the end, I am just saying.

Jennison

I know exactly what you mean and I feel the same way about keeping originals original. I'm guilty of leaving out pertinent facts. The jackets themselves are newly made; I have a couple on which I've replaced the incorrect zippers with originals I bought from Mash. If the jackets were original, personally, I'm not sure I would even dare putting one for fear of damaging it.

Silver Surfer

So, ya have 67 vette sting ray that is an original with low miles, and a reliable (fast) driver. However, the orig tires are baldies with Dry cracking. Replace the original tires? Heresy! How about the original starter motor that is acting up? Replace the coil in it? Heresy! Well how about the REPRO vette kit and repairs and replacements? Point being, with original a-2s that are in wearable condition, and have vulnerable zipper starter pins, is it heresy to reenforce the area? wait til it separates? Or just put the jacket on a maniquin, and never wear it? With repro a-2s, who the hell cares, as it’s yours to do with as you wish.

Erwin

If the jackets were original, personally, I'm not sure I would even dare putting one for fear of damaging it.
laurel-and-hardy.gif

Jennison

Ah, yes. Laurel & Hardy in “Blotto,” 1930. Excellent choice and quite appropriate. Yeah, I admire you guys who have the fortitude to wear original jackets. I’m too neurotic and just can’t get myself to do it. Really, it would be much easier to go through life just letting things go and enjoying the stuff. I wish I could get myself to that point….

Dany McDonald

I’m too neurotic and just can’t get myself to do it. Really, it would be much easier to go through life just letting things go and enjoying the stuff. I wish I could get myself to that point….

I can understand your reluctance, it's not that neurotic... to a certain point!

D