• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MEMPHIS BELLE CREW PHOTOS

Grant

Hey Carl, here's another photo of the rare A-2 cap being worn by a 303rd BG Hell's Angels ground crew. Dig the pin-up art on the wheel cover!

A-2cap.png

Micawber

Giam in fatigues & 'cap'.jpg

Joe Giambrone.jpg

Joe Giambrone (Gambrone). Memphis Belle Crew Chief. 324th BS 91st BG H Bassingbourn. The original control tower can be seen behind the aircraft as can one of the standard C Type hangars. The doors to that hangar were removed and filled in back in the '90's as part of the conversion of the building into a large gymnasium for the British Army who have occupied the base for many years.

Edited to add close-up as I found I had a clearer version of the original photo.

Last edited:

Carl

Carl
Be interesting to know what the opposing view points were. Care to share?
Basically it became a slanging match in the end Burt ! And i closed the thread down !
It was basically , from one guy who is an ex ground crew USAF who has interviewed alot of vets , and who also re enacts ground crew . And catergorically
states that Roughouts were not worn . Then the other guy , another re enactor who showed pics of groundcrew wearing them !! It was a real" tit for tat" show !! :D

Micawber

Life is too short for BS like that. Sadly vet ranks are dwindling but there are umpteen thousand photos to run through which usually confirm that variety was, and still is, the spice of life.

B-Man2

Basically it became a slanging match in the end Burt ! And i closed the thread down !
It was basically , from one guy who is an ex ground crew USAF who has interviewed alot of vets , and who also re enacts ground crew . And catergorically
states that Roughouts were not worn . Then the other guy , another re enactor who showed pics of groundcrew wearing them !! It was a real" tit for tat" show !! :D
I would imagine that it got heated. but the realty back then was probably as basic as ; you wore whatever you had at the time.
Thanks for sharing Carl:)

unclegrumpy

It was basically , from one guy who is an ex ground crew USAF who has interviewed a lot of vets , and who also re enacts ground crew . And
categorically states that Roughouts were not worn . Then the other guy , another re enactor who showed pics of groundcrew wearing them !! It was a real" tit for tat" show !! :D

B-man2 is exactly right...they wore what they had. Another thing is they typically did not wear roughouts like they do today...meaning they did not leave them rough and untreated. They smeared coats of dubbing on them, and then sometimes buffed and polished them. The stories I used to hear from vets was how they spent their slack time burning the "rough" off their new boots with lighters...to get them better prepped for polishing. Boots that were worked over would be very hard to spot in photos.