• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MEMPHIS BELLE CREW PHOTOS

Grant

With the debut of the restored Memphis Belle in Dayton this week, thought I'd post a couple photos of her air and ground crew. The first photo everyone's seen before but the second one is less common. Really dig the styles and ways the ground crew are rocking their caps.

MB1.jpg
MB2.jpg

B-Man2

Just when I thought I was pretty good at identifying most of the USAAF kit ....... something pops up you never new existed.
That’s very cool!
BTW
2 observations about the first photo ;
The captains short sleeves on his A2 once again show that in wartime there was no “perfect fit” .
Now before I get blasted here I’m not trying body shame anyone however the first guy in the crew was not your typical sized crew member of that period . With things being a little cramped inside of a B-17 I’m just wondering what his job and placement was in the aircraft . I think we can eliminate the tail and ball gunner positions right off.

Last edited:

Persimmon

Just when I thought I was pretty good at identifying most of the USAAF kit ....... something pops up you never new existed.
That’s very cool!
BTW
2 observations about the first photo ;
The captains short sleeves on his A2 once again show that in wartime there was no “perfect fit” .
Now before I get blasted here I’m not trying body shame anyone however the first guy in the crew was not your typical sized crew member of that period . With things being a little cramped inside of a B-17 I’m just wondering what his job and placement was in the aircraft . I think we can eliminate the tail and ball gunner positions right off.

He had that dual purpose role of side gunner and ballast.
If they lost an engine or two and were getting lower and lower in height rather than throw everything out to reduce the weight they were just planning on throwing him out.
Thankfully they survived all 25 missions.

stanier

o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O
if only !!!!!!!!! i missed out on one last year ! could have kicked myself all over for doing that !!

You missed out on a time machine Carl?! o_O:D Can I borrow your current one please? I’m after a mint Rockola 1953 Comet jukebox..amongst other things! Sorry thread back on track now....

Persimmon

Not a direct comparison as the Belle was a B17 but the B24 had 488,193 separate parts which made up 30,000 components and each aircraft requited 140,000 man hours to produce.
55,000 hours for the Belle although sounding a lot when you compare to a new plane almost seems good !!
And they were knocking these out on production lines. Not 12 years !

Interesting note here that a recent news release said the painstaking rebuild of the Memphis Belle required "more than a dozen years and 55,00o man hours"
I wonder how that compares to the original time to manufacture on the assembly line during wartime?
https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/c79a8d31-62dc-3cff-9da8-8cd16303b57c/ss_memphis-belle's-rebirth:.html

MikeyB-17

Yeah I was about to make some smartarse remark about the chap’s bakerboy cap not being issued. Turns out it was! I nearly bought an HBT bakerboy off Ebay once, I think I’ll have to seek one out.

Lorenzo_l

Thanks for posting the pics of the A-2. Love when I learn something new in this crazy hobby. Speaking of the A-2, I've had this RRL HBT cap for years that kinda looks like it was inspired by the A-2.

Btw, that's a gorgeous A-2 you're wearing in that picture Grant. Is that your HLB?

Lorenzo_l

LOL, good eye Lorenzo, it's an original RW 1401p.

Wow. An original. And in what looks like fantastic shape, to boot. Way to go, Grant! Do you happen have a a full picture of that beauty for our viewing plasure ? And sorry to hijack the thread! But the sight of those well-aged, miss-matched hides made me curious!