• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this Carhartt Detroit a fake?

Thomas Koehle

Color is also off and seems to be kinda "yellow-ish" to me ...

I own some CARHARRT gear which all of them bought in the US in either garage-sales, new in stores or online.

Not only jackets but also some pants in that specific "CARHARRT BROWN" and none of them looked/looks as yellow as on your photos - even when it was new ...

7aoRKGb.jpg

Q7qEhHU.jpg

DRpwcx0.jpg

M990smB.jpg

yeah and that lable "kills" it anyway ...

There is still the DETROIT in production but looks totally off coz of the much longer back and some other details

Cimmerian

Color is also off and seems to be kinda "yellow-ish" to me ...

I own some CARHARRT gear which all of them bought in the US in either garage-sales, new in stores or online.

Not only jackets but also some pants in that specific "CARHARRT BROWN" and none of them looked/looks as yellow as on your photos - even when it was new ...

7aoRKGb.jpg

Q7qEhHU.jpg

DRpwcx0.jpg

M990smB.jpg

yeah and that lable "kills" it anyway ...

There is still the DETROIT in production but looks totally off coz of the much longer back and some other details
Thanks Thomas. I must admit - yours look great!

ButteMT61

I stopped buying Carhartt during the scamdemic when they forced employees to get jabbed. Not wanting to get political, but I draw the line with that.
Schaefer looks good - have to give them a shot!
BTW - old USA Made Carhartt jackets can be beat and washed 100 times and get better each time.
They were my staple. I kept my old ones, but won't buy new ones.
My 2¢ only - not trying to start a fight.

Smithy

I stopped buying Carhartt during the scamdemic when they forced employees to get jabbed. Not wanting to get political, but I draw the line with that.
Schaefer looks good - have to give them a shot!
BTW - old USA Made Carhartt jackets can be beat and washed 100 times and get better each time.
They were my staple. I kept my old ones, but won't buy new ones.
My 2¢ only - not trying to start a fight.

100% with you Scott as always my friend.

A big problem is that a lot of folks don't use this kind of stuff for what it was designed to do so as time goes by the makers think that people aren't using it as workwear so we can cut a few corners here and there and before you know it the stuff is just for looks rather than function.

We have 3 sheep and cattle stations back home in the family (typical Kiwi big ranches where you ride horseback all day - we run a shitload of livestock) so I was bought up that stuff should work and clothing should be tough as old boots. It's one thing to wear a jacket down to Starbucks and another entirely to wear it on horseback tending cattle and sheep, fixing a fence, etc. Proper physical work in all weather conditions.

A lot of stuff labelled "workwear" isn't now sadly.

ButteMT61

Yeah Smithy, "work wear" kinda went to hell when it became fashion.
Now, there's some amazing stuff out there, but the prices were driven to the sky when the likes of Iron Heart came along and started charging insane prices for denim and other "staples".
The thing is, when I was a kid, we went to the tack shop and stuff was tough and affordable. It had to be both as most farmers, miners, etc. did not have a lot of money, and their clothing was important to their work.
Now clown kids protesting for Hamas asking for student loan forgiveness wear clothing that cost more than anything a working Man could afford...
We are living in an upside-down world at the moment...

Thomas Koehle

I do not have a problem with “physical work” and frequently wear those CARHARRTs and DICKIES for doing chores, work on my bikes, doing light construction work around the house, at the office or simply to walk the dogs.

I actually have a problem with people pretending to “work” but never ever made any of their OWN money by themselves rather than being sponsored by “mum ‘n dad”. In the early 80ies it was pretty “up to date” to wear BIBs just for fashion which I never understood. I was always happy to change my BIBs at work (been assembling carbodies at PORSCHE back then) to my “civil” gear like LEVIS ‘n sneakers.

Since American workgear simply looks more cool + is practical but most European work attire is just practical I love the rough and versatile appearance of American working clothes.

B-Man2

My Carharrt Detroit, made in Mexico unfortunately.
Last year in September I was in New York and I visited a lot of vintage stores but the prices of the Detroit jackets are too crazy for my wallet.

6c0b.jpg

g2j0.jpg
Forget the jackets for a second ……
Let’s just talk about that Royal Enfield for a second. What’s the CCs on that engine ?
350 or 650ccs?
Looks like one of the newer models. made in India . I remember them well as a teenager in the 1960s . A couple of the guys had old British models made in the UK . But that Lucas Electrical system … OMG!!
Worst ever . Had one on my 65 Triumph Bonneville and my 1974 Triump Tr4-A .
Never could tell when it would take a dump ., but thats another story .

Pa12

Forget the jackets for a second ……
Let’s just talk about that Royal Enfield for a second. What’s the CCs on that engine ?
350 or 650ccs?
Looks like one of the newer models. made in India . I remember them well as a teenager in the 1960s . A couple of the guys had old British models made in the UK . But that Lucas Electrical system … OMG!!
Worst ever . Had one on my 65 Triumph Bonneville and my 1974 Triump Tr4-A .
Never could tell when it would take a dump ., but thats another story .
Lucas is known as “the dark force “Burt. I’d experienced it enough that when I restored my Land Rover I stripped it all out. Built my own harnesses, new fuse box, gm single wire alternator etc. Had it since 2009 and it’s never let me down.

B-Man2

Lucas is known as “the dark force “Burt. I’d experienced it enough that when I restored my Land Rover I stripped it all out. Built my own harnesses, new fuse box, gm single wire alternator etc. Had it since 2009 and it’s never let me down.
Pete
Here in the U.S. it was
“Lucas Electrical …. The Prince of Darkness”:D

Micawber

I'm hot, I'm tetchy and I'm tired. I have just had to deal with a problematic wasp nest outside which was still very active at 11pm this evening so please make allowances if the tone of the following is not my normal cheery self. This is not aimed at anyone in particular and certainly no offence is intended.

At the risk of starting an argument I would opine that the reputation regarding LUCAS back in the day is mostly as a result of unfamiliarity of the systems and components outside of GB & what was then her empire. Over the years I've owned dozens of what would now be classed as classic, but what where then were current British vehicles, the LUCAS electrical systems were no more problematic than older British vehicles with other systems [AC Delco] systems or foreign produced vehicles that I have also owned.

I confess to suffering raised eyebrow moments over the derision toward some British products on this forum. My personal views which I do not intend to debate.

B-Man2

Agreed … I wish I had my old Bonneville and TR-4A . They are classics now. And Steve is probably right about being unfamiliar with the Lucas systems here in the US, but it seemed to be the same with whoever owned a vehicle with them. I know my dad was an auto mechanic his entire life and he worked on all British vehicles from Jags to MGBs to Austin Healy’s .
So I’m sure he was familiar with them but he had the same gripe.
Not doubting a word that Steve says .
Would be interested to know if they still use Lucas Electrical Systems in the UK today .

Pa12

Agreed … I wish I had my old Bonneville and TR-4A . They are classics now. And Steve is probably right about being unfamiliar with the Lucas systems here in the US, but it seemed to be the same with whoever owned a vehicle with them. I know my dad was an auto mechanic his entire life and he worked on all British vehicles from Jags to MGBs to Austin Healy’s .
So I’m sure he was familiar with them but he had the same gripe.
Not doubting a word that Steve says .
Would be interested to know if they still use Lucas Electrical Systems in the UK today .
I believe they do. In fact modern aircraft have a lot of Lucas products on them. Never experienced any problems out of the ordinary on them . My brother just bought a 70 bonneville 650 all original 2 years ago. 13000 bucks. Seems like yesterday they were 1500 dollar bikes. I particularly loved the old BSA. Or beezers as we called them.

B-Man2

I believe they do. In fact modern aircraft have a lot of Lucas products on them. Never experienced any problems out of the ordinary on them . My brother just bought a 70 bonneville 650 all original 2 years ago. 13000 bucks. Seems like yesterday they were 1500 dollar bikes. I particularly loved the old BSA. Or beezers as we called them.
Yep … Had a BSA Lightning at one point. 650 ccs . They had the Thunderbolt and the off road BSA 441 Victor as well as a 250cc that I forgot the name of …