• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How can I save the Roundel on this original Rough Wear 23380…. Any ideas?

B-Man2

Hey Guys
Could use some help with this .
Trying to save the Roundel that is slowly flaking off this jacket .
Any help would be greatly appreciated .
Thanks
IMG_4379.jpeg

Dany McDonald

Hello Burt,

You have to stabilize the area that's flaking with a consolidant.

You could go with a conservation varnish like Polaroid B-72 (reversible and non-yellowing), and appli with a gentle dabbing until the area is covered with a thin coat.
Or a good quality acrylic varnish (non-reversible) like Liquitex and apply a thinned coat, until you are happy with the results.

In both cases I'd apply very thin layers.

HTH

D

B-Man2

Dany
Thanks for your response.
This may be a dumb question but do you think that thinned out clear nail polish put on very lightly might work?

Dany McDonald

Yes it will but nail polish is pretty hard and can suffer yellowing and cracking on the long run. And I think it has a lot of solvent, my guess is it can damage the very old decal and the leather underneath.

I guess you are ok with any polimer base (acrylic) varnish.

From a conservation point of view, you have to make sure its gentle and will not negatively interact with the surface. Remember that some damage are done on the long run.

I just remember that I use to work with Microscale decal solution, a product called Liquid Decal Film or krystal solution, to restore old decals on scale models:

D

Last edited:

B-Man2

Question ?
I remember that some of the decals that were heat applied came with something like a “Chorded top coat sealer “ does anyone have any info on this stuff . It might be just what’s needed to preserve the original decal .

Dany McDonald

Any chance that this microscale decal film would have an adverse effect on the leather ?

Think its acrylic base (no solvent), so I would presume that it's safe but like I said in a very thin coat. Since you are going to cover the same area as the decal does, it's likely that any adverse effect won't transfer directly to the leather? Unless a solvent or an aggressive compound is used.

I know for a fact that some of today's leather varnishes are polymer base, so you can safely draw your own conclusions.

HTH.

D

B-Man2

Think its acrylic base (no solvent), so I would presume that it's safe but like I said in a very thin coat. Since you are going to cover the same area as the decal does, it's likely that any adverse effect won't transfer directly to the leather? Unless a solvent or an aggressive compound is used.

I know for a fact that some of today's leather varnishes are polymer base, so you can safely draw your own conclusions.

HTH.

D
Thanks Dany
Appreciate your help with this .

Dany McDonald

Question ?
I remember that some of the decals that were heat applied came with something like a “Chorded top coat sealer “ does anyone have any info on this stuff . It might be just what’s needed to preserve the original decal

If it's in the same range as the top coat sealer used on B-3|D-1| B-6 etc, polymer base, well the early polymers (nitrocellulose).

Pilot

Hi Burt,
Have to do the same quite often…
I use a hair spray ( high quality brand ).. moisture resistant.
NO SOLVENT BASE laquer at all.
The hair spray is flexible and this is important…
After it dries, you can stabilize it with an acrylic laquer used to treat plastic parts.. again flexible…
No standard paint ever to be used on this kind of extremely fragile decals.

B-Man2

Hi Burt,
Have to do the same quite often…
I use a hair spray ( high quality brand ).. moisture resistant.
NO SOLVENT BASE laquer at all.
The hair spray is flexible and this is important…
After it dries, you can stabilize it with an acrylic laquer used to treat plastic parts.. again flexible…
No standard paint ever to be used on this kind of extremely fragile decals.
Thanks Dany and Brice
Appreciate both of your suggestions