• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Glasses you wear with your flight jackets

mulceber

I dunno, seems like a reasonable topic to me. Pilots may not have worn glasses much, but some of us do. Discussing what styles compliment the jackets is perfectly reasonable. I’d suggest we keep this thread.

My glasses are made by a company called Silhouette. Not very vintage-styled, but they’re discreet and they go with everything.

My sunglasses are AO.

coolhandluke

I'd also vote for not deleting this topic. I'd be interested to see some feedback from those who wear prescription glasses and sunglasses. I've found myself needing prescription glasses for most day to day tasks, especially when driving, which requires prescription sunglasses. My current eyeglasses are Persol 3092-V and I think they pair fairly well with vintage attire.

My sunglasses are Ray Ban New Wayfarers (shown in link below). I've been thinking about finding something in an Aviator styled frame though. I need to see if my optometrists can add prescription lenses to a pair of AO's like Jan's.

Pa12

I'd also vote for not deleting this topic. I'd be interested to see some feedback from those who wear prescription glasses and sunglasses. I've found myself needing prescription glasses for most day to day tasks, especially when driving, which requires prescription sunglasses. My current eyeglasses are Persol 3092-V and I think they pair fairly well with vintage attire.

My sunglasses are Ray Ban New Wayfarers (shown in link below). I've been thinking about finding something in an Aviator styled frame though. I need to see if my optometrists can add prescription lenses to a pair of AO's like Jan's.

Shouldn’t be a problem getting a prescription in the American opticals. I’ve done them and many styles of raybans over the years. I mostly wear contacts but some days my eyes just aren’t into it so I wear specs. Most recent are rayban outdoorsman with a slight tint.

Pa12

I’ve seen many pictures of airforce personnel wearing clear AO prescription glasses. But I believe they changed it now allowing any eyewear they want.

Flightengineer

Do whatever you want. I still regret bringing it up at all.
Don't worry mate, I just expressed my opinion and that's all, I didn't want to seem impolite at all.
I haven't flown big birds for 2 years, I've had reading glasses for a year now, but to be honest I haven't tried to match them with my vintage flight jackets, these are modern very light titanium frames. It seems to me that if this is not WW2 reenactment, then there is no point in turning to frames from 80 years ago; modern ones are stronger and lighter. But this is all a matter of taste, and if you want to follow the style of the 40s and bring your style up to that era, there is nothing wrong with that, each of us has fun as best we can, do what you like, cause life is short.

MikeyB-17

Hell, we’ve done everything else, hats to wear with your flight jacket, sunglasses to wear with your flight jacket (that was mine), shirts to wear with your flight jacket, jeans to wear with your flight jacket, I think I attempted slippers and socks, why not glasses?

MikeyB-17

In fact, hey, I’m in. I’m very long-sighted, but up close I need reading glasses. I generally buy Goodlookers. With ELC A-2.
4A271F3D-E30B-4212-AE3B-17880A492A79.jpeg

And with ELC G-1. Try taking a selfie with glasses on so your iPad doesn’t reflect in the bloody things!
ADCED1E9-CE8A-4111-9E09-6C299A8931B3.jpeg

Last edited:

Skyhawk

I started a thread on glasses to wear with flight jackets as almost nobody here is an actual Aviator of any type. I seriously misjudged the type of folks here this time.
Yep there are a lot of pilots bouncing around in here. It's pretty understandable, a love for aviation is usually a love for anything and everything aviation. It is for me!

Good thread.

Every pilot who flies long enough will probably need at least reading glasses or contacts. It just how age affects the lenses in our eyes. They get stiffer and don't bend as easy as we age. This all starts around age 25 but takes a long time to be really noticeable, according to my eye doctor.

For reenactment I would go with American Optical with the teardrop shaped lens. I believe they had gold frames in WWII and the teardrop shape like good ol' MacArthur below. AO was the company that made them in WWII and they still make them today. There are online partners with AO that can put prescription lenses in the AO frames. Either clear or tinted. I think they even do Transition lenses. They have lighter tints as well that would probably be ok in most light conditions.
Screenshot 2024-07-13 071703.jpg

For everyday use, wear whatever look good and fits your face well. I personally think that a mix of vintage and modern can look really cool if done right.

Pa12

Yep there are a lot of pilots bouncing around in here. It's pretty understandable, a love for aviation is usually a love for anything and everything aviation. It is for me!

Good thread.

Every pilot who flies long enough will probably need at least reading glasses or contacts. It just how age affects the lenses in our eyes. They get stiffer and don't bend as easy as we age. This all starts around age 25 but takes a long time to be really noticeable, according to my eye doctor.

For reenactment I would go with American Optical with the teardrop shaped lens. I believe they had gold frames in WWII and the teardrop shape like good ol' MacArthur below. AO was the company that made them in WWII and they still make them today. There are online partners with AO that can put prescription lenses in the AO frames. Either clear or tinted. I think they even do Transition lenses. They have lighter tints as well that would probably be ok in most light conditions.
View attachment 153795
For everyday use, wear whatever look good and fits your face well. I personally think that a mix of vintage and modern can look really cool if done right.
B & L AN-6531, AO and Wilson are the 3 I know of. Wilson also made a folding model but they’re kinda goofy looking. Someone was wearing a pair in MOA, so they must have done “some “research. I think you’ll find they were all silver frames until post war. The B&L an-6531 are the most sought after and if you can find pair in decent condition they’re going for 4 to 600 bucks these days. Even more if it has the metal can.AO made them until at least the mid 80’s when I bought a new pair, so they’re usually cheaper. I managed to score a good pair of B&L a few years back and I have 3 pairs of AO . The B&L are a lighter tint and great for flying in certain conditions, but that old glass gets heavy. Here’s a picture of my B&L AN-6531 and one of my AO.
IMG_6369.jpeg
IMG_6368.jpeg