• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For Those Not Heeding the Warnings About Hangers….

Jennison

I put this well made repro A-2 away 10 years ago on a conventional hanger and left it. I took it out to examine it recently and was rather shocked by what I noticed. I carefully examine the workmanship on my stuff (OCD) and I can guarantee the stitching wasn’t stretched like this when I put the jacket away. PLEASE, listen to the guys on this Forum and avoid regular hangers for storage purposes, or any hangers at all if you can. Don’t make the mistake I did!

Attachments

• IMG_5442.jpeg
    IMG_5442.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,103
Last edited:

Pa12

I put this well made repro A-2 away 10 years ago on a conventional hanger and left it. I just took it out to examine it recently and was rather shocked by what I noticed. I carefully examine the workmanship on my stuff (OCD) and I can guarantee the stitching wasn’t stretched like this when I put the jacket away. PLEASE, listen to the guys on this Forum and avoid regular hangers for storage purposes, or any hangers at all, if you can avoid them. Don’t make the mistake I did!
Yikes

Thomas Koehle

I put this well made repro A-2 away 10 years ago on a conventional hanger and left it. I just took it out to examine it recently and was rather shocked by what I noticed. I carefully examine the workmanship on my stuff (OCD) and I can guarantee the stitching wasn’t stretched like this when I put the jacket away. PLEASE, listen to the guys on this Forum and avoid regular hangers for storage purposes, or any hangers at all, if you can avoid them. Don’t make the mistake I did!

Thanks for the reminder mate!

LV426

I put this well made repro A-2 away 10 years ago on a conventional hanger and left it. I took it out to examine it recently and was rather shocked by what I noticed. I carefully examine the workmanship on my stuff (OCD) and I can guarantee the stitching wasn’t stretched like this when I put the jacket away. PLEASE, listen to the guys on this Forum and avoid regular hangers for storage purposes, or any hangers at all if you can. Don’t make the mistake I did!
OK , thanks for the advice / reminder that i did not read before ( there are so many subjects here ! ).

DylanDog

While putting jackets on hangers may not necessarily be a good thing I would have thought the major contributing factor to the stretching to the stitching here is the fact that the jacket was apparently left on a hanger for 10 years without being taken off or worn.
If the jacket had been fairly regularly removed from the hanger much of the tension which caused the stretching could have been relieved.
Also, it’s entirely possible that even if laid flat for all that time other issues may have been caused such as permanent unnatural creasing (i.e. that which wouldn’t occur through wear), etc.

mstevey

Heard loud and clear! I'm new to collecting jackets, where can I find the good advice on proper hangers?

Thank you!

Skyhawk

Heard loud and clear! I'm new to collecting jackets, where can I find the good advice on proper hangers?

Thank you!
Get the hangers as wide as possible so that it distributes the weight move evenly across the top of the shoulders. Some have used foam pipe covering pieces from the hardware store and made their own. Make sure the hanger is long enough to extend across entire length of shoulders to support the ends, so they don't droop off the hanger. There are commercially available hangers that are made for this. A lot of armored Moto jackets are on them in the shops.

This problem with the OPs jacket, I don't think it's just the hanger. It looks like the tension could have been set too low on the machine when constructing the jacket. There was some play in the seam which gravity pulled down while resting on the hanger for so long.

A thin hanger is bad but I have 80 - 100 year old jackets that have probably been stored on hangers most of their lives. None of them have this loose stitching seam problem.

I see some other loose stitching indications on this epaulet as well:
Screenshot 2024-06-08 070103.jpg

Last edited: