• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Educate me on A-2 leather finishes

Nickb123

Yes veg tanned. Nick do you know if John has ever worked with a strict Chrome/pigment combo finish, like in the 40's?

D
I do not. But I’ve always wondered if it’s been possible to repurpose say an M-69 Transport Coat and make a new A-2 out of it.

It would be sacrilegious but I’ve wondered about it.

B-Man2

Sorry, what I was trying to say is to have a modern repro leather just like original leather.
Hi
Just a quick post that you might find useful .
Years ago Lost Worlds produced a chrome tanned DuBow A2. I don’t know if they still use that method of tanning today but if you can find an older Lost World A2 it might work for you . See photos of the Lost Worlds A2 at the top and an original RW 23380 below it .
Pretty damn close I’d say .
IMG_4433.jpeg
IMG_4434.jpeg

Micawber

...the perfect fit is an illness my friend, even John Chapman doesn't have the remedy for it...;)

Bang on the nose Dany.

In simple terms it is reproduction WW2 flight jacket jacket OCD [obsessive compulsive disorder] pure and simple. A phenomenon particularly rife amongst those with disposable income who obsess over A-2's but in the case of Mr Lever and a few others of this Parish, sheepskin, or shearling garments. It's the quest for the reproduction jacket Holy Grail which usually only exists in the mind of the individual concerned. The disorder is further boosted to extreme heights of either self satisfaction or angst over the length of sleeve, drape, blousy-ness, shape of collar and whether the threads used in the sewing are infused with genuine 1943 oxygen after posting catwalk like fit pictures on this very forum.

Fortunate are the very few obtain their goal and then sign the pledge never to embark on another lengthy, and expensive quest again.

Dany McDonald

Bang on the nose Dany.

In simple terms it is reproduction WW2 flight jacket jacket OCD [obsessive compulsive disorder] pure and simple. A phenomenon particularly rife amongst those with disposable income who obsess over A-2's but in the case of Mr Lever and a few others of this Parish, sheepskin, or shearling garments. It's the quest for the reproduction jacket Holy Grail which usually only exists in the mind of the individual concerned. The disorder is further boosted to extreme heights of either self satisfaction or angst over the length of sleeve, drape, blousy-ness, shape of collar and whether the threads used in the sewing are infused with genuine 1943 oxygen after posting catwalk like fit pictures on this very forum.

Fortunate are the very few obtain their goal and then sign the pledge never to embark on another lengthy, and expensive quest again.

I'd even add, that nylon and cotton are not remparts where we can feel safe, warm and fulfilled... Oh my look at that new Goodwear B-15C and oh a Goodwear L-2B .... shit look at that Eastman B-10.

B-Man2

Bang on the nose Dany.

EXACTLY!!!