• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Educate me on A-2 leather finishes

Smithy

Of course it begs the question of what kind of accurate repro the makers are trying to reproduce? Is it a new in the box wartime jacket which looks the same as an issued one in 1942 or a well used many decades old one which might pass as an original to someone who was not an expert? I'm in the original in a box camp - and as I posted in another similar thread a few days ago an early chrome tanned pigmented hide GoodWear I had was the closest I've seen to that.

Using veg tanned aniline hide can make a jacket look like a well used original once it's well broken in if that is what the maker is aiming for, and for film use or something like that it might make sense. But remember the jackets were new once and most in use did not have time to get very old and well worn.

View attachment 161213

I could be dead wrong, but I recall this photo as a reenacter wearing a U.S. Authentic repro?

That is a reenactor. The guy was a member over at Le Salon du Chapeau. This photo was in the member reenactors gallery thread that Paddy collated. And yes it is a US Authentic, I know that for a fact as I messaged him about the jacket after seeing this photo back in 2007/2008.

Southoftheborder

I can't remember where I saw that photo first but it was back in the noughties I think, and it was just to illustrate my point as to how an A-2 looked like new close up as opposed to the very well worn ones you usually see. But you can't trust anything these days.

flyincowboy

Of course it begs the question of what kind of accurate repro the makers are trying to reproduce? Is it a new in the box wartime jacket which looks the same as an issued one in 1942 or a well used many decades old one which might pass as an original to someone who was not an expert? I'm in the original in a box camp - and as I posted in another similar thread a few days ago an early chrome tanned pigmented hide GoodWear I had was the closest I've seen to that.

Using veg tanned aniline hide can make a jacket look like a well used original once it's well broken in if that is what the maker is aiming for, and for film use or something like that it might make sense. But remember the jackets were new once and most in use did not have time to get very old and well worn.

View attachment 161213
look like nearly the same guy
61st Fighter Squadron pilot. Original colors.n.jpg
pilot.jpg

Last edited:

Camel24hrs

I can't remember where I saw that photo first but it was back in the noughties I think, and it was just to illustrate my point as to how an A-2 looked like new close up as opposed to the very well worn ones you usually see. But you can't trust anything these days.
Watch the cold blue on max. Lots of A2s in the show. All kinds of shades too. Most look like they are right out of the box. There are a few that are beginning to get that slightly worn look to them. And these jackets were usually issued during training back in the states. These guys wore them a lot. Probably wore them 7-10 months before they ever got overseas. So it took a good while to get that worn look to them.
What we see years later took years to get in that condition. Of course this is just my opinion based on observations from watching old color film.

Smithy

Easy to mistake. He'd "aged" the photo with Photoshop. Member's name over at the Lid Lounge was "The Wingnut". Really lovely fella.

Dany McDonald

Actually, if you (or me) are looking for a leather that ''looks'' or ''feel'' close to an original (not necessarily new, but ''mission' used) in its tanning and finish process, it's quite possible.
Almost every high-end tanneries, and I am going to say specifically Shinki still produces horsehide, tri-chromium tanned, pigment finish (pigment (lacquer) sprayed on) for top tier leather goods makers, like Real Mccoy, Buzz, Jelados, Rainbow Country etc.

One of the main reasons it's not that popular with consumers of A-2's and other vintage oriented jackets enthusiasts is the appearance when new. It looks less appealing (compared to a vintage patinaed jacket) and too newish. This is due to the inherent characteristics of chrome-pigment finish ( less prone to scratches and has vivid colors, etc...).

If like me you are attracted like a moth to a flame to skins (leather) with character, salty, patinead and shiny, pure chrome and pigment finish, off the machinist table may not get my attention.

That being said, a combination of both tanning and dye/color finishes, plus the recoat/redye done by masters like JC will result or reproduced very nice skins.

I am saying yes a very close to an original overall finish and feel is out there and available. But I have a question, would you really like it?

We should also address the drape thing in another thread...;) Personally I dont give a rats ass to how my jackets drape me... I wear them how I want to.

D

Last edited:

Smithy

Probably wore them 7-10 months before they ever got overseas.

No, that's not entirely correct.

It depended on whether they were on fighters or bombers but also especially where they were assigned for training in the US. If you were training in the southwest primarily over the warmer months, you'd never wear even an A-2, it would pretty much live in your locker box until transfer to the ETO.

The A-2s with most wear from training you'll see before transfer to Europe are those used by the Norwegian forces in exile at Little Norway in Canada. Those showed huge amounts of wear as they were worn very much non-stop for training and on the ground.