• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dragons

Yardstick

Some dragons this time. 2 versions of the 373rd BS, 308th BG (CBI made). The first is based off an original batch of patches that seem to have been constructed on a vinyl type base. I used a smooth steerhide for my version, as this is the material I had that best replicated he look of the originals. The rest of the patch uses various types of goat with ink and stitched detail. The second 373rd follows a simpler construction (fewer pieces) and is made entirely of goat (varying thicknesses and textures).

The third patch is a version of the 22nd PRS, 7th PRG - multipiece leather with chain stitched detail. This was an 8th AAF unit based out of Mount Farm, Oxfordshire, England. So I have to assume that the patch was English made - which is itself unusual, as multipiece leather construction is not often found outside of the CBI. For my version I used lambskin napa and goat to replicate the soft feel of the original. Both my version and the original have a calico backing. I attach an image of an original for reference.

img 1.jpg

img 2.jpg

img 3.jpg

22nd PRS_5th & 7th PRG.jpg

Silver Surfer

nicely handled. the 373rd is one of my faves [had an original once upon a time], and arguably one of the most complex and detailed patches worn in the aac-aaf. and the 22nd is super nice as well.

Yardstick

the 373rd is one of my faves [had an original once upon a time], and arguably one of the most complex and detailed patches worn in the aac-aaf
Agreed. These are the second and third versions of the 373rd patch I have done and it is one of the most complex. However, once you've worked out how it goes together, subsequent versions are easier to construct. The one thing in its favour is that there is very little painting involved. I did a 71st Liaison Sq patch yesterday and that is not only complex to construct but also requires a lot of detailed painting across multiple interlocking pieces.