• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best photos of famous people wearing true vintage leather jackets (military, but not only)

Emchisti

If my failing memory serves me, was there 3 variants that the French used, straight front, scalloped and double breasted?
Two official variants 'Veston de Cuir Noir Modele 1920' which was the black leather double-breasted version that was intended for all troops working with Machinery such as tanks, cars, trains etc. The other was the 'Veston de Cuir Modele 1935, which is the one I have and was introduced in May 1935, specifically for tank and armoured car crews. There were quite a few different variations, as one would expect, although I'm not sure these extended to distinct patterns. Some sources state it's sheepskin but all the originals I've ever seen are presumably either Steer or Horse hide.

Shanghai-Mayne

IMG_8209.png

Rory Schultz

I see thanks. BTW I used to own one of General Degaulle's WW2 Uniforms which had two stars on his Kepi. I donated it to the WW2 Museum in New Orleans. Strange, they never put it up on display. I have some other French Uniforms that belonged to a very close friend of mine who passed away about 10 years ago.

Last edited:

Rory Schultz

what? Do you have pictures and did you have provenance?
No, on some yes,... provenance- it was not something I ever thought about because back then I was not really a collector. Things would be given to me and it was not of any real interest or importance to me yet. ( Late in life did I realize that uniforms, flags and stuff were valuable) I would use items as props to do my artwork. Some of the French Uniforms were given to me by a close friend before his death. A ton of stuff I lost in a fire back in 1996. What few pieces that survived the fire has some provenance only because those items were stored in a cinder block storage room and the fire never reach that room. I also lost all of my family photos too as well as all my father's WW2, Korea and Vietnam photo albums. I only have 3 photos of my father and just a handful of my mother. My art collection has provenance- that to me was important, but other stuff it just never crossed my mind back then. I had a large collection of Feudal Japan, Haori Kimonos, Hakamas, armor, swords etc. ( I only have a few swords now. ) I also had a Brown Bess 3rd model used at the Alamo, was used by a soldier in the Mexican Army. He had carved it in the stock all the battles he fought. One of my ancestors picked up after the Battle of San Jacinto and it came down through the family to me. After the Fire I was afraid of losing it so I donated it to the NRA Museum in Virginia. Most of my Native American Collection, Kiowa and Comanche Eagle War Bonnets I donated to Gilcrease and Woolaroc Museum. I kept my Calumets ( pipes ), bowls, Hopi Kachina dolls etc. One of my pipes has provenance of which belonged to the Grandson of Chief Lone Wolf- Chief Joe Longbow- that one is all documented, he gifted it to me and wrote it all out. He used to take me to the private stomps and sweats back in early 1980's. His family knew my ancestors who had been Texas Rangers. So there was history between our families. The book of photos of all of them together through the years was lost in the fire. But his family has their own copy of the same photos. Back in the 70's and 80's I never thought WW2, Korea, Vietnam era items would be collectable because having grown up on US Naval/Marine Corp Bases it was plentiful and dirt cheap. It never crossed my mind. My "main passion" was collecting Traditional Western because that was what I mostly painted. But people knew I started out doing portraits which opened the door to meet other historical figures and over time stuff was given to me. A ton of it was lost in that fire. Now I am always afraid I will lose things again. So I regret ever collecting because now I stress over losing things. I lost a massive collection of not only artifacts but a massive art collection worth a lot of money. Currently I only have around 400 paintings and 6 bronzes and have been putting them up for sale. My only heir, she does not want the responsibility.....so I am getting rid of my collections. If you are interested in buying some of my collection just let me know.

Adama36

No, on some yes,... provenance- it was not something I ever thought about because back then I was not really a collector. Things would be given to me and it was not of any real interest or importance to me yet. ( Late in life did I realize that uniforms, flags and stuff were valuable) I would use items as props to do my artwork. Some of the French Uniforms were given to me by a close friend before his death. A ton of stuff I lost in a fire back in 1996. What few pieces that survived the fire has some provenance only because those items were stored in a cinder block storage room and the fire never reach that room. I also lost all of my family photos too as well as all my father's WW2, Korea and Vietnam photo albums. I only have 3 photos of my father and just a handful of my mother. My art collection has provenance- that to me was important, but other stuff it just never crossed my mind back then. I had a large collection of Feudal Japan, Haori Kimonos, Hakamas, armor, swords etc. ( I only have a few swords now. ) I also had a Brown Bess 3rd model used at the Alamo, was used by a soldier in the Mexican Army. He had carved it in the stock all the battles he fought. One of my ancestors picked up after the Battle of San Jacinto and it came down through the family to me. After the Fire I was afraid of losing it so I donated it to the NRA Museum in Virginia. Most of my Native American Collection, Kiowa and Comanche Eagle War Bonnets I donated to Gilcrease and Woolaroc Museum. I kept my Calumets ( pipes ), bowls, Hopi Kachina dolls etc. One of my pipes has provenance of which belonged to the Grandson of Chief Lone Wolf- Chief Joe Longbow- that one is all documented, he gifted it to me and wrote it all out. He used to take me to the private stomps and sweats back in early 1980's. His family knew my ancestors who had been Texas Rangers. So there was history between our families. The book of photos of all of them together through the years was lost in the fire. But his family has their own copy of the same photos. Back in the 70's and 80's I never thought WW2, Korea, Vietnam era items would be collectable because having grown up on US Naval/Marine Corp Bases it was plentiful and dirt cheap. It never crossed my mind. My "main passion" was collecting Traditional Western because that was what I mostly painted. But people knew I started out doing portraits which opened the door to meet other historical figures and over time stuff was given to me. A ton of it was lost in that fire. Now I am always afraid I will lose things again. So I regret ever collecting because now I stress over losing things. I lost a massive collection of not only artifacts but a massive art collection worth a lot of money. Currently I only have around 400 paintings and 6 bronzes and have been putting them up for sale. My only heir, she does not want the responsibility.....so I am getting rid of my collections. If you are interested in buying some of my collection just let me know.
Yes i could be interested- we can exchange via PM- thx