• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Fraction of a Friend’s Collection

Jennison

Awesome photo!

The photos that I posted earlier are unfortunately the only copies of period photos that I have on hand. My late friend gave me his uncle's wings 10-15 years ago and his widow recently ran across those two photos as well as the documents below. His uncle, AC Jones Jr. is the co-pilot listed on both documents. It would be interesting to know if your friend is familiar with AC or any of his crew members.

View attachment 153101

View attachment 153103

View attachment 153105
I got a text from the collector yesterday with a photo of Hardstands #46 and #47 at Eye in Suffolk. He says he nearly fell of his chair when he saw this. One of the 2 was for his father-in-law’s ship. Those were the only 2 hardstands on the other side of the A-20 running through the edge of the 490th’s station (134). Traffic had to be stopped to let the B-17s taxi to and from those hardstands. They’re the only remaining vestiges of station 134. The whole area across the road was converted into an industrial park. The retention pond was also added.

Attachments

• IMG_2536.jpeg
    IMG_2536.jpeg
    182.2 KB · Views: 49

Micawber

I got a text from the collector yesterday with a photo of Hardstands #46 and #47 at Eye in Suffolk. He says he nearly fell of his chair when he saw this. One of the 2 was for his father-in-law’s ship. Those were the only 2 hardstands on the other side of the A-20 running through the edge of the 490th’s station (134). Traffic had to be stopped to let the B-17s taxi to and from those hardstands. They’re the only remaining vestiges of station 134. The whole area across the road was converted into an industrial park. The retention pond was also added.

I live close to Eye, Thorpe Abbotts, Tibbenham, Old Buckenham, Snetterton etc etc..

Eye is where the full size B-17 props built for MOTA are / were stored.

A memorial plaque was unveiled at Brome, close to eye, just last year to remember the crew of a B-17 that crashed attempting to do an emergency landing land at Eye. Sadly all onboard, and also a gang of road repairers and their horse died in the incident. Details here

Last edited: