• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A-2 find: American Eagle Leather, H. Chait

Banzai

This might be the best EBay score I’ve ever had. It’s an A-2 from “American Eagle Leather, H. Chait, Maker”. Found it for a steal in near mint condition.

This is nearly the nicest goat I’ve ever handled. Weighty, solid, but not too much. Very “crunchy” or “crispy”, and very grainy. Lots of character.

I don’t know that it’s a replica of a specific contract, but the fit is very WW2-repro…it’s a size 40, and not baggy on my 38-39” chest. Collar stand, scalloped pockets…all the period-type details. The only thing I don’t care for is the synthetic satiny lining.

Whoever this guy was, he made a heck of a jacket. I can’t find anything about him online.
IMG_2574.jpeg
IMG_2575.jpeg
IMG_2576.jpeg
IMG_2577.jpeg
IMG_2579.jpeg
IMG_2578.jpeg

Banzai

Snaps are modern. The zipper is some model of Talon, but not like the art-deco one on most repros.

For the thread-counters, it’s about 8 per inch, which is much tighter than the 6 per inch that some repro makers do.
IMG_2580.jpeg

Banzai

Would love to see some fit pics when you have a chance .
Going to do that soon. I'll say though that the fit is just terrific. I couldn't have gotten much better with a custom job.

This jacket is honestly one of the best that's passed through my possession. With the sole exception of that lining, it is just top-quality work and materials. I wish I knew more about the person who made it.

B-Man2

Going to do that soon. I'll say though that the fit is just terrific. I couldn't have gotten much better with a custom job.

This jacket is honestly one of the best that's passed through my possession. With the sole exception of that lining, it is just top-quality work and materials. I wish I knew more about the person who made it.
This is the right place to find the guy.
A lot of experienced and expertise here . Give it a few days and someone will pop up with the info on the maker .
And don’t worry about how the lining looks . No one sees it when it’s on and the lining would cost more to replace than you paid for the jacket ….. Almost.

Banzai

I don’t think this has any connection to the mall store. I think this was a small brand that belonged to this H. Chait person in Whitman, MA. That’s what I get from the labeling, the construction quality, and the lack of any other tags associating with the American Eagle mall store. Nothing else except for a small size tag in the side seam.

Happy Hooligan

I don’t think this has any connection to the mall store. I think this was a small brand that belonged to this H. Chait person in Whitman, MA. That’s what I get from the labeling, the construction quality, and the lack of any other tags associating with the American Eagle mall store. Nothing else except for a small size tag in the side seam.
Totally Agree. It's not a mall chain jacket. Just a similar name but small local guy making jackets.

Banzai

Could be a small shop making jackets for a large company, like monarch, star, etc did in the 1950s for sears.
Could be. Though I’d think the logo branding would be more obvious. Perhaps I’ll contact American Eagle outfitters and see if they have any archival knowledge.

I can’t find a thing online.

Juanito

I think I had one of these. Same zipper, same collar, same pockets, same nylon lining, same brass rivets on the collar clip..

I'll bet Banzai's jacket has thick, single weave cuffs with a seam. I removed those and had the berry knits added.

Maybe I now know what this jacket was since it came to me with no label. It was a very well made jacket with exceptionally heavy goatskin, Lost Worlds heavy like.

Banzai

I think I had one of these. Same zipper, same collar, same pockets, same nylon lining, same brass rivets on the collar clip..

I'll bet Banzai's jacket has thick, single weave cuffs with a seam. I removed those and had the berry knits added.

Maybe I now know what this jacket was since it came to me with no label. It was a very well made jacket with exceptionally heavy goatskin, Lost Worlds heavy like.
That looks an awful lot like mine. I’ll check the cuffs when I get home. Looks like you found a match.

I wonder who this guy was, and where he sold…

Last edited: