• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A-2 find: American Eagle Leather, H. Chait

Banzai

This might be the best EBay score I’ve ever had. It’s an A-2 from “American Eagle Leather, H. Chait, Maker”. Found it for a steal in near mint condition.

This is nearly the nicest goat I’ve ever handled. Weighty, solid, but not too much. Very “crunchy” or “crispy”, and very grainy. Lots of character.

I don’t know that it’s a replica of a specific contract, but the fit is very WW2-repro…it’s a size 40, and not baggy on my 38-39” chest. Collar stand, scalloped pockets…all the period-type details. The only thing I don’t care for is the synthetic satiny lining.

Whoever this guy was, he made a heck of a jacket. I can’t find anything about him online.
IMG_2574.jpeg
IMG_2575.jpeg
IMG_2576.jpeg
IMG_2577.jpeg
IMG_2579.jpeg
IMG_2578.jpeg

Banzai

Snaps are modern. The zipper is some model of Talon, but not like the art-deco one on most repros.

For the thread-counters, it’s about 8 per inch, which is much tighter than the 6 per inch that some repro makers do.
IMG_2580.jpeg

Banzai

Would love to see some fit pics when you have a chance .
Going to do that soon. I'll say though that the fit is just terrific. I couldn't have gotten much better with a custom job.

This jacket is honestly one of the best that's passed through my possession. With the sole exception of that lining, it is just top-quality work and materials. I wish I knew more about the person who made it.

B-Man2

Going to do that soon. I'll say though that the fit is just terrific. I couldn't have gotten much better with a custom job.

This jacket is honestly one of the best that's passed through my possession. With the sole exception of that lining, it is just top-quality work and materials. I wish I knew more about the person who made it.
This is the right place to find the guy.
A lot of experienced and expertise here . Give it a few days and someone will pop up with the info on the maker .
And don’t worry about how the lining looks . No one sees it when it’s on and the lining would cost more to replace than you paid for the jacket ….. Almost.