• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ELC IRVINS

Roughwear

IMO Eastman Leather Clothing make the most accurate repro Irvins on the market at the moment. The only thing that lets them down is the zips, especially the main zip which has a Lightning style slider/pull and a Dot style slider box. I own two, one with a honey coloured fleece and a thicker sheep skin than the other which is darker and has less grain. The honey-coloured fleece jacket has an all metal main zip, whilst the other has a plastic male end. I am not sure exactly when they were made, but I enjoy wearing both on a regular basis and especially when I don't want to risk damaging one of my originals. Of the two jackets the one with the honey fleece is nearer to an original. This is a size 42 and the other is a size 44.

Here are some pictures by way of comparison.

003-21.jpg

005-26.jpg

001-22.jpg

002-20.jpg

006-23.jpg

016-23.jpg

Here are some close-up pics of the details.

008-27.jpg

009-24.jpg

011-27.jpg

012-25.jpg

014-23.jpg

015-24.jpg

Roughwear

John Lever said:
Andrew, what size is the pale one and does it have the thicket skin ?

John, It's a size 42 and yes it does have a thick skin very similar to my originals. I guess it is at least 10 years old.

A

Anonymous

Spot on critique and great photos as always Andrew.

Thanks.

Dave :ugeek:

John Lever

The rule with these jackets is ' the older they are the better they are '
Here are some shots of an early Eastman made from Merino sheepskin. God knows why I ever sold it as I doubt I will ever find another one. It went to Canada to a member here so I suppose its still in the family.-
MerinoIrvin006.jpg

paddy6.jpg

MI004.jpg

paddy1.jpg

Is the present owner out there somewhere ?

Roughwear

John, That early ELC Irvin could easily be mistaken for a worn original. BTW roughly when was it made?

mazeta

I love the look of those Irvins but where I live it just never gets cold enough for any type of shearling jacket. A shame.

John Lever

Roughwear said:
John, That early ELC Irvin could easily be mistaken for a worn original. BTW roughly when was it made?
20 to 25 years ago ? can't say for certain, but it's the best one I have ever seen by far. I bought it from Rick Mayall [B'stard Black Adder]

Roughwear

John Lever said:
Roughwear said:
20 to 25 years ago ? can't say for certain, but it's the best one I have ever seen by far. I bought it from Rick Mayall [B'stard Black Adder]

So the jacket has some history then! Can't remember him wearing it in The Young Ones! :lol:

Andrew

John Lever said:
Roughwear said:

Is he a collector of RAF kit? Last year I sold a pair of original '36 pattern boots to "a" Rick Mayall- paid top dollar too and paid immediately. The address was one of those "soandso farm, down by the duckpond round the corner of the churchyard, country England, which sounded quite remote but impressive. I did politely enquire if he was THE rick Mayall but I didn't get a bite. Now it makes me think he probably was one and the same.

Nice shots and good info Andrew. Could you please post a sot of the base of the plastic ended zip from the inside too?

Hawkeye

Love the both of them, but I really like the grain on the back panels of the darker jacket, hope mine turns out like that eventually. BTW, I believe I've sold RAF gear to a Rick Mayall over ebay as well. Some zippers and maybe a helmet or two? Its been a year or so at least.

Cliff

Lovely Jackets Andrew. I have the 42 pattern with its rusty fleece (though mine is now more of a ginger colour due to the sun bleaching it) but I much prefer the honey, coloured earlier design. Going up to Duxford airshow in the spring to pick myself up a new "open grain" ELC Irvin. Was going to order on line but decided to wait to be able to choose the one I want from the ELC stand. Hopefully next winter will be as cold or even colder and snowyer than today !!

rgds

Cliff

Roughwear

Cliff, I prefer the older honey-coloured Irvin too. The other one is a great jacket for a snowy day in the UK and fits well over a suit jacket at work!

Cliff

Yes Andrew, I actually wore my Irvin in to the office today with my 1936 pattern RAF flying boots................and do you know, no one said a word or batted an eyelid !!!!! Not a "Biggles" or "Spitfire" comment to be heard !!! .......probably because most of the idiots who feel they need to comment never made it in at all !!!.......
:lol: :lol:

For those in sunnier climes,, The UK got hit by snow today and as usual the whole country grinds to a halt !!! My 1971 Landrover got me through though !!! :D

rgds
c

John Lever

I'm trying to persuade Gary to re-offer the Merino version Irvin. It's leagues better than the current ones.

Roughwear

John Lever said:
I'm trying to persuade Gary to re-offer the Merino version Irvin. It's leagues better than the current ones.

I wish you success here John. The fleece on the older of my two ELC Irvins is very close to originals and knocks spots off the latest crop of ELC Irvins IMO.

John Lever

Roughwear said:
John Lever said:

I wish you success here John. The fleece on the older of my two ELC Irvins is very close to originals and knocks spots off the latest crop of ELC Irvins IMO.
No mail is getting through to them. In boxes must be full.
If several people ask then perhaps thy might do a special run for us.

m444uk

Leadsky said:
John Lever said:
Roughwear said:

Is he a collector of RAF kit? Last year I sold a pair of original '36 pattern boots to "a" Rick Mayall- paid top dollar too and paid immediately. The address was one of those "soandso farm, down by the duckpond round the corner of the churchyard, country England, which sounded quite remote but impressive. I did politely enquire if he was THE rick Mayall but I didn't get a bite. Now it makes me think he probably was one and the same.

Nice shots and good info Andrew. Could you please post a sot of the base of the plastic ended zip from the inside too?

Sounds like him. A while back he crashed a quad bike riding around his farm and ended up quite badly injured.