• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When Im bored I do stuff like this...

442RCT

I'm a 'collector' of painted jackets and agree with what everyone says about 'authentic' period looking art, most of it was 'folk-art'. After saying this, my preference is still the currently 'professionally' rendered jacket art, e.g.- a Jerome painted jacket, especially for a pin-up girl, the closer to what Varga, Elvgren, or Petty did, the better.

After all, most people who see artwork on a modern repro A-2, couldn't even tell you who attacked Pearl Harbor, nevermind the accuracy of a painting method.

I couldn't agree more, last week when I was wearing my CACW patched jacket, this guy in his mid 30's asked me what the patch was on the front of my jacket. I told him it was a reproduction of the Chinese-American-Composite-Wing patch in WW2 when they fought Japan. He looked at me and said, "The Chinese fought against Japan in WW2 ???, I didn't know that. " It was a teachable moment for me, dunno if did any good though. But I get a lot of that when I'm wearing a patched or painted jacket.

Jaguar46

a2jacketpatches said:
I'm not so sure that the professionals don't understand how it was done, or are not able to do so, they are simply doing the best they can to please the untrained eye. After all, most people who see artwork on a modern repro A-2, couldn't even tell you who attacked Pearl Harbor, nevermind the accuracy of a painting method.

Your point is taken, though I think ignorance of the Attack on Pearl Harbor would be limited to the current gen of kids/young adults. I just asked a couple of my Thai friends here in Thailand, not college educated, average Thai, and they knew of Pearl Harbor.

RE: Flying Tigers, many would not know it became worldwide shipping firm (Flying Tiger Line), after the war bought by Fedex in 88. The only reason I know about this is I lived near one of the FTL pilots in the early 80s.

a2jacketpatches

My wife is Thai, here for a little over a year. She did know who attacked Pearl Harbor and has a basic idea what went on during WW2. Getting back on track with this thread, I've been explaining to her that the airbrushes I use sometimes, were not used during WW2 on jackets.

She asks a lot of questions concerning my work and is a big help writing out my chits for me. She studied the Chinese language and redering of the characters for six years. One day she was looking at photos of some Blood Chits I did a while back with a big grin on her face. I thought for a second she was proud of my work, but she said " a two year old writes better in China " then she grabbed a sharpie and busted out a perfect Chit in about ten seconds. That's when I asked her to marry me....LOL

grommet

oldskoolonly said:
When Im bored I paint or draw.
Thought Id Paint the back of my Cooper. First time on a jacket but wont be my last.
S6302871.jpg

S6302870.jpg

I have tried my hand at painting leather patches and and found it to be surprisingly difficult. I appreciate what you've done.

Coincidentally, I have a very similar Cooper jacket I was considering using as a trial balloon.

I imagine that the original jackets were painted with alkyd enamel paint. Is this what you use? Do you have a preference as to brand?

grommet said:
I have tried my hand at painting leather patches and and found it to be surprisingly difficult. I appreciate what you've done.

Coincidentally, I have a very similar Cooper jacket I was considering using as a trial balloon.

I imagine that the original jackets were painted with alkyd enamel paint. Is this what you use? Do you have a preference as to brand?

Im a Hot Rodder and do a fair bit of Pinstriping and related style artwork with enamel and I also do a fair bit of drawing and Water color paintings. I just use cheap enamel paint from the local hardware. That whole jacket was done with a Mack Sword 00 Pinstripe brush and a small lettering brush. Most Sign writers use "One Shot" Enamel but its hard to come buy here in Australia but thats what Id recommend if your stateside. :)