• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What do you guys think about this patch?

unclegrumpy

a2jacketpatches said:
Also, there's a certain USMC Squadron patch that is frequently found in new condition due to the fact that it was never issued.
Actually, there are a number of units that fall into that category. Also, given all the WW II USN & USMC squadron insignia designs, there really very few that are commonly seen worn.

ausreenactor

a2jacketpatches said:
Maybe some members following this thread could enlighten me based on the evidence right in front of us. :D

All good.... I just thought this line was a swipe... I was never in on the fact there was a considerable grouping behind the post. I considered the patch to be worth the start bid and it looked like it had legitimate provenance. That was it..

While it was not flying related, I grabbed a bunch of an Armored Corps soldiers stuff. Patches, photos and a couple of presentation certificates. It was going for a pittance. I bid on it only as it was a part of a former Soldier's world and nobody appeared to value it. The grouping displayed in this post is bolstered by Chauvel's flying, honours and awards and the documentation. And would be highly prized by many here.

I have deployed four times and I have kept all the theatre specific and general AAAvn junk and more. There is a Certificate of Achievement from the US Armya and my Silver Commendation from our Army in there too. All of it is in a $3.00 tub under my daughter's bed. Many would frame this stuff up and have it on display, along with my plaques and awards. I am inadvertently hoarding away and enhanching my own 'grouping' before I am even half dead.

I would be flattered to think that somewhere down the line my military service would be befitting of this type of discussion on a forum like this. We have given Arthur L. Chauvel, a Navy Cross recipient, another moment in sun if you will. That is the best aspect about being part of our forum. While many think of the flying jacket as an icon, I truly like the military relevance of it all. And they are cheaper and cleaner to maintain than a WWII Jeep!!

No harm no foul... and where were we?

Couchy

EMBLEMHUNTER

They flew SBD's for a short time before going on to SB2C aircraft , could it possibly have been the patch while they had the Dauntless and then when they went to SB2's it was changed .................................They were with Air Group 18 on the USS Intrepid CV-11.

I based my initial assessment on many years of collecting, and in a large part on "instinct" learned after looking at and handling military patches, while I am not in the league of some of you or those on the USMF. I still say the graphic and design of this patch does not fall within the norm for wartime naval squadron patches (usn and usmc). While it now is a fact that it came from the veterans estate, we cant for certain determine the "chain of custody" of this patch, when was it purchased, worn, etc. While this may seem like over the top, consider the number of members of a squadron and the sheer attrition of such an insignia, this could be among the rare navy squadron patches, or as I originally stated a postwar/reunion patch, it could also be a px purchased patch. We now know that there are three of these patches in existence, but we do not yet have a photo of one being worn. A very interesting insignia, conversation and an outstanding grouping, great find and kudos to you for purchasing the group.

I am sure we have all experienced the veteran who insists that something was issued to them in WW2, korea, etc when we know it is not possible or something is obviously a postwar or civilian item. On the other side of the coin, I have also experienced a veteran coming up with something that no one has ever seen or heard of, but the provenance is unmistakable.

unclegrumpy

bazelot said:
THe one I have was actually stitched to a jacket at one point as the thread is still there.
But what we still don't know is if it was sewn to a flight jacket or a windbreaker he wore to his reunions....

Couchy hits on a very interesting point. That is if the daughter really had a clue that her father was a war hero. It reminds me a lot of the closing scenes....if I am remembering correctly....of "Flags of Our Fathers"....when the son opens the award box containing his father's Navy Cross....which he never knew he earned.

Monsoon

ausreenactor said:
I have deployed four times and I have kept all the theatre specific and general AAAvn junk and more. There is a Certificate of Achievement from the US Armya and my Silver Commendation from our Army in there too. All of it is in a $3.00 tub under my daughter's bed. Many would frame this stuff up and have it on display, along with my plaques and awards. I am inadvertently hoarding away and enhanching my own 'grouping' before I am even half dead.

Wow, you have your stuff in a $3 tub under your daughter's bed? You're ahead of the game compared to me!

Mine is all stacked up in the bedroom closet. Citations, medals, my patches, the works. Flight gear in a duffle in the attic. When I "shuffle off this mortal coil" someone can sort thru it all. I am leaving my daughters, who are 3 and 1 right now, an Air Medal apiece with a note; they'll get them on their 18th birthday.

I guess I get it from my Dad; he told me he "thinks" his Bronze Star is in the bathroom linen closet. :lol: