• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What About SHOULDER RANK

jack31916

DSC04067.jpg

DSC04068.jpg

Took me some time to dig these up...and to find out these to be 2nd Lt in stead of 1st Lt :oops:

These rankbadges looks rather old to me and I don't think these are copies, maybe a variation or private purchase but post-war could be as well...

In the mentioned Class 13 Catalog the rankbadges are shown on page 50 but no info about materials or makers... From what I can see these are made of leather with (tin) foil rankings on them. In the index of the Catalog it says that these rankbadges are S=Standard, NR = Non-Recoverable (Expendable).

For tailors or riggers it's no big deal to stitch these badges on the boxstitch of the shoulder of an (a-2) jacket.

Regards

A

Anonymous

Here are some additional leather shoulder rank emblems issued in WWII.

Roughwear

Harvie said:
Roughwear said:
How do you know these ones date to WW2 and are not post War?

I got them from the officer they were issued.

That does not mean they date from WW2. Often vets served in Korea and post War equipment got passed off as Wartime issue. Sometimes they were mistaken about the age of an item when they themselves were of advanced years.

A

Anonymous

Roughwear said:
Harvie said:
Roughwear said:
How do you know these ones date to WW2 and are not post War?

I got them from the officer they were issued.

That does not mean they date from WW2. Often vets served in Korea and post War equipment got passed off as Wartime issue. Sometimes they were mistaken about the age of an item when they themselves were of advanced years.

He retired in 1948 and those were issued to him in 45

Roughwear

He could have picked them up post War. Many vets acquired gear post war including rank insignia to put on reunion jackets.

A

Anonymous

Roughwear said:
He could have picked them up post War. Many vets acquired gear post war including rank insignia to put on reunion jackets.
The people he got them from are the quartermaster employees at Ft Myer VA. The same place they got all his rank stuff.

This is the same group that their relatives have worked there for 4-5 generations going back to just after the Civil War.
They have lots of neat stuff.

unclegrumpy

The black leather backed insignia is post war, and did not come out until about 1950.

Below is a quote from the USAF's site regarding service dress uniforms, but all of their uniforms and insignia were covered by these same uniform regulation changes....and the same transition period that lasted though most of the Korean War time period.

"The need for an Air Force uniform to identify and distinguish Air Force personnel from those of other services, as well as to raise morale and esprit, was recognized in late 1947. Shortly after unification, the Chief of Staff and the Secretary of the Air Force approved the design of the new uniform. Finally, on 8 April 1949, Air Force Letter No. 35-46 was published, giving full details - of the new Air Force blue uniforms, for winter wear, and of the new summer uniforms. This Letter was superseded, on 15 November 1950, by AFR 35-14 which prescribes in detail, "Service and Dress Uniforms for Air Force Personnel." The gradual shiftover from the Army’s olive drab to the Air Force blue is now virtually completed. 30 June 1952 has been set as the last day on which olive drab may be worn. Thereafter only "blues" are regulation wear. For the airman, this conversion began in the fall of 1950 when general issue of the blue uniform commenced."

littlebuddy

a2jacketpatches said:
littlebuddy said:
Did someone want the pics of the leather ranks from the Class 13 aaf book ??

Yes please.

Ill get some scans done as soon as i can for you , the pictures are all in black and white unfortunately ,if thats ok ?? but it does give the stock numbers for each rank etc

Carl

a2jacketpatches

littlebuddy said:
a2jacketpatches said:
littlebuddy said:
Did someone want the pics of the leather ranks from the Class 13 aaf book ??

Yes please.

Ill get some scans done as soon as i can for you , the pictures are all in black and white unfortunately ,if thats ok ?? but it does give the stock numbers for each rank etc

Carl

Cool, tango yankee