• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The ultimate G1 Maker – what do you all think?

Curahee

hacker said:
Curahee said:
Nice to know there are more M-422/M-422A/AN-6552/AN-J-3a/G-1 lovers around on the forum :D It almost feels like small cult within a cult or something....Hacker can you us show your Ed Church ?

IMGP2048.jpg

I might have posted this previously. My two current fav's. The Block is a size 42, and fits perfectly. The Church is sized 40, but like all Church's is larger than stated, it fits as a large 42, my all-time favorite! :D ....I have sold several Church's to members here, maybe a few can post them, they are beauties!

Hacker

Many thanks for posting outstanding jackets, hope to have one of those some day ;)

rpmooreii

I have had a "couple" of Navy jackets and I have to agree w/ Hacker... the Edmund Church M-422a is the class of the group closely followed by the Block AN-6552 and (inmho) the Edwards B series from '61 and '62.

I ended up selling ALL of the my Navy jackets expect a well broken on '62 Edwards B series and a rare '61 Edwards B series. For me they have the best combination of fit, goatskin, smallish collar (the big collars are my main beef with most WWII era jackets), and daily wearability. I always worried that I would damage my Church or Block AN-6552 so I sold them... the Edwards B series is a great workhorse and not so valuable that one is worried to wear it anywhere/anytime (and isn't that one of the points w/ a flight jacket?)

....Roger

pipvh

Roger, from your experience, what makes the Edwards A and B series better than the C? Did the quality of the goatskin go down dramatically?

mowgli

I have also collected primarily 55J14/G-1 jackets, and after either owning or examining most brands and models, the Star 55J14 is my favorite. I really like the leather on these jackets: soft, medium weight, with loads of character. The pockets have a very classic sculpted design, while the collars are medium to small in size. Finally, the fact that the older jackets have USN painted under the collar rather than stamped on the wind-flap makes it more appealing to me.

hacker

mowgli said:
I have also collected primarily 55J14/G-1 jackets, and after either owning or examining most brands and models, the Star 55J14 is my favorite. I really like the leather on these jackets: soft, medium weight, with loads of character. The pockets have a very classic sculpted design, while the collars are medium to small in size. Finally, the fact that the older jackets have USN painted under the collar rather than stamped on the wind-flap makes it more appealing to me.

The Star 55j14 is one of my favorites in that series as well, and common enough to find, always nice leather and a good looking rayon lining, it's only drawback is a weak Conmar zipper.

Hacker

Curahee

I never saw one in person but judging from the photo's I saw I have to agree too, I did bid however on this one

star05a.jpg
star05b.jpg

star05c.jpg
star05d.jpg

it was listed as mint/newlike condition and looks that way to, buy now $ 1500 reserve not met at $ 750 (my final bid) and I was the highest bidder btw. This one is on my shortlist of must have jackets right now.

Curahee

Just got a PM from JC and he told me the collar was replaced on this one and not very good job at that. Goes to show how far some people go to deceive :evil:

art of a2

I am thinking of selling this jacket but frankly I don't know who the maker is. I have been told many things about this G1 but the maker remains a mystery. I believe the jacket to be WWII/ Korean war era. I would feel more confident in parting with it If I knew a bit more about the jacket. Is there any forum member with ideas?:

IMG_0375.jpg

IMG_0374.jpg

IMG_0376.jpg

The wear on the back perhaps means that it suffered from a parachute/ harness rubbing on the jacket?

IMG_0384.jpg

IMG_0383.jpg

I think the cuffs have been replaced at some point as these are slightly different to the waist band

IMG_0382.jpg

Lining and leather is in good condition for its age.

IMG_0380.jpg

I'm told that numbered jackets were only issued to air crew - is this right?

IMG_0379.jpg

At some stage this has been also been stamped on the storm flap after issue.

IMG_0378.jpg

I'm told that the USN marking going donwards means WWII/Korean war era - Is this true?

IMG_0377.jpg

I would imagine this to be an authentic zipper

IMG_0381.jpg

Cannot decipher this label all that is recognisable is that it is a size 42?

Any help you can offer would be greatfully received.

Robin

Roughwear

Robin, from what I can make out of the label it would appear to be made by Ralph Edwards Sportswear and date from 1962. Here is the contract no QM(CTM) 11214-C-62. You can just make out enough letters of the contract. There as only one other contract from 1962 made by Irvin B. Fosters Sportswear, but the contract nos don't fit.

art of a2

Roughwear said:
Robin, from what I can make out of the label it would appear to be made by Ralph Edwards Sportswear and date from 1962. Here is the contract no QM(CTM) 11214-C-62. You can just make out enough letters of the contract. There as only one other contract from 1962 made by Irvin B. Fosters Sportswear, but the contract nos don't fit.

Good work Andrew this helps a lot..

Curahee

The large brass/blackened CONMAR zipper in combination with the "rib-rack" waistband and the silver typeface on the label would suggest an early 60's G-1. If you look closely the last letters on the label it says 24-C-62 so it appears to be a 1962 jacket spec MIL-J-7823B, in fact you can even make out the last letters/numbers on the label from the second line ending with 7823B(WEP) The the fourth textline < RALP EDWARDS SPORTSWEAR, INC > can be read with a little inmagination.
Also have a look at this label wich is less faded but from the same maker/date/contract etc. for comparisson

DSCN7842.jpg

So what you have here is a 1962 Ralph Edwards MIL-J-7823B in fairly good condition and with what seem to bee replacement cuffs.

art of a2

Jeroen,
Thanks for that. It seems so obvious now but you don't see the label until you know what manufacturer you are looking for. Are Ralph Edwards jackets popular with the G1 fraternity - are they a good make? It is in reasonable condition with no obvious tears in the lining or leather. What price do you think?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
The thread in the label is white, before the 7823B it was yellow. Ralph Edwards Sportswear was previously Cagleco.

Curahee

art of a2 said:
Jeroen,
Thanks for that. It seems so obvious now but you don't see the label until you know what manufacturer you are looking for. Are Ralph Edwards jackets popular with the G1 fraternity - are they a good make? It is in reasonable condition with no obvious tears in the lining or leather. What price do you think?

Ralph Edwards G-1's are popular and they are a good make, the condition of the jacket means everything, BUT buyers can be forgiving if the jacket had provenance. I followed and bid on a e-bay auction for a named MINT 1947 Pritzker & Sons G-1 and it went for $ 810, I bought a 65' Ralph Edwards in perfect/clean but used condition (see vintage section) last year for $ 400 on e-bay.

So, cuffs are not good, waistband looks OK so cuffs need to be replaced professionally maybe the waistband too in order to have a matching set, mouton seems to be ok, label is an iffy, is the zipper tape male end at the bottom 100% intact ? i.e. not torn in. Is odour free, are there any stains on the linning etc. etc. Replacing the knits (with originals done by Aero) would set the buyer back $ 150 also consider the shipping costs. That's what I as an potential buyer would like to know.

So all in all I would say a fair price to start with would be somewhere between $ 150-$ 200. I would not buy it, there are still enough (near) mint jackets around and I'm willing to pay the price if it's A) my size B) mid 40's to mid 60's C) a nice addition to the collection D) has an interesting provenance. Good luck selling it !

art of a2

Jeroen: Thanks for your knowledge and interest in this item. You have helped a lot. I take your point about replacing both cuffs and waist band. There are no stains on the lining. Zipper tape intact and no obvious odour. I don't want to sink money into it but as you say it may be a worth while project for some one. I'll probably put it up on ebay and see if there is any interest. Your perspective in identifying this jacket has been invaluable. Once again thanks..I did try to PM you but two of messages gto you got stuck in my 'outbox' for two days?