• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The ultimate G1 Maker – what do you all think?

bobbyball

Hi everyone,

I now have quite a few original G-1 jackets spanning M422a through to early J7823. My particular favourites are the earlier examples. There is nothing quite like the feel of vintage goatskin and the real mouton collars. In my opinion, the best goat on the examples I own are an H&L Block AN6552 and an early Werber 7823 Sportswear with Cagleco 7823 coming in a very close third. What I am not sure about is was their a lot of variation within each maker or was one more consistent than the other. I think there is consensus that after the 1960s things start to go downhill.

Although I own a couple of original A2s, I am at the moment in love with the G-1. The construction, particularly early examples, has me in awe!

I know we all have our favourites but does one maker stand out for you?

CBI

I have tried on about 6 different original manufacterers. I only own one G-1 and its a California Sports (they only had a contract for one year - 1960). I think the cut with Cal Sports was a little more generous than many of the other makers so I really like it for this reason. It still fits great (trim) but its roomier than the other jackets that were/are my size. If I go up a size with the otehr makers to fit me, some of the other areas like sleeve length are too long. The color is also a little more chocolate with less grey in it than some other makers. So, Cal Sports is a fav of mine. I actually owned another Cal Sports which I ended up selling.

bobbyball

I used to have a mint California Sportswear – I sold it and it was my biggest regret. Very comfortable and super quality. If I remember it did not have USN marked under the collar and it had a plain windflap. Very long arms which I think is why I passed it on.

Curahee

Hi and welcome btw,

I share your love for the G-1, it's just far superior to the A-2 in every way. This last week we had the first A-2 weather since a long time and after wearing my G-1's for months it just struck me that the A-2 is one odd jacket. I really miss the bi-swing back and the inner pocket, and the overall fit, and..... :roll: I like A-2's too but the G-1 is far more comfortable to wear than the A-2 and more practical i.e. bigger pockets + inner pocket etc. etc.

I do have a few originals in my current collection from the 50's to the 1970's and the 7823C's are my favorite wearers. I also like my 55J14 Pritzker and L.W. foster 7823(AER) but the early to mid sixties G-1's are my favorites. Ralph Edwards is my favorite 60's G-1 and for the 50's L.W. Foster.

I also like my Good Wear 1943 Bogen & Tenenbaum AN-6552 repro, but the longer body of the M-422/AN-6552/AN-J-3A is not as good a fit (lengthwise) as the G-1.

MikeyB-17

I am the exact opposite-I've just sold yet another G-1, and apart from perhaps a dynel-collar 'beater', I don't plan to buy another. I never keep them-this one lasted four months. I keep taking them out of the wardrobe, putting them on, and going 'naaah' and putting them back. Give me my A-2 any day. Even my RMC M-422a, as gorgeous a jacket as it has ever been my privelege to own, never lasted a year-sold it and I don't miss it. I don't get on with them-if it's cold, I don't find them warm enough, and when it warms up, I find the mouton collar uncomfortably hot. I've also decided I don't like the half belt style and the way it clings to the body at the back.
Of the ones I've had, the best was a Ralph Edwards 7823 (AER).

Curahee

CBI said:
can't we like both? ;)

Of course, and I do like them both but the G-1 just a little more. And like I said IMHO I find it more pratical than the A-2, during the coldest winter months I wear my B-10 + a thin sweater, and as soon as it gets warmer my G-1. Anyway to each it's own ;)

Peter Graham

bobbyball said:
I've a bit of experience of G-1's having owned an AN-6552, an M-422a, a 55J14 and currently an AN-J-3a. The one that stood out for me was the G&F M-422a. The goatskin was beautiful as was the teddy bear soft mouton and the grey/brown knits and triple marked Talon zipper gave it a touch of class. Unfortunately it was too long in the body for me but the Foster Sportswear AN-J-3a I traded it for is a perfect fit and very nearly as nice as the G&F. I've found my perfect Navy jacket and I'll probably never buy another one.
anj3a009.jpg

anj3a003.jpg

anj3a001-1.jpg

hacker

If we are talking both M422a and G-1 of which the M422a is certainly a nicer jacket overall, the Edmund Church is the winner. For leather, it has consistently the best of all the makers. I rate Church as the finest Navy leather jacket maker. With that said, Block, Ostermann, W&G, G&F are all first rate, and all run a close second. I have owned many examples from these top five makers (production #s), and always gravitate back to having at least one Ed Church. The fit of some, W&G, Ostermann for example, can be a problem for many, and that can make them less desirable if your looking for a daily wearer..... As to G-1's, , Ralph Edwards, and Star tend to have the nicest goat and great construction. There are some smaller contract players that are also real nice, but the two I mentioned are quite common and almost always great leather. The G-1 definitely started taking a downturn after the C series, IMHO, but you can see I tend to favor M442a jackets so my opinion is somewhat tainted.....

Hacker

Marv

I only have two G1s, an orignal Martin Lane Co. from 1968 (size is marked as a 46 but fits more like a modern 44) and an ELC G1 repro (size 46).....the Martin Lane could do with a little work cleaning up the goatskin (a wash and a touch of Pecards) and a small repair on the zipper tape but apart from that it's on very good condition.

bobbyball

Peter Graham said:
bobbyball said:
I've a bit of experience of G-1's having owned an AN-6552, an M-422a, a 55J14 and currently an AN-J-3a. The one that stood out for me was the G&F M-422a. The goatskin was beautiful as was the teddy bear soft mouton and the grey/brown knits and triple marked Talon zipper gave it a touch of class. Unfortunately it was too long in the body for me but the Foster Sportswear AN-J-3a I traded it for is a perfect fit and very nearly as nice as the G&F. I've found my perfect Navy jacket and I'll probably never buy another one.
anj3a009.jpg

anj3a003.jpg

anj3a001-1.jpg

What a wonderful jacket you have there! Not seen one of these before. I will be on the lookout but they rarely come up.

bazelot

Peter Graham said:
bobbyball said:

Looking good Peter. That's agreat jacket. I love my M-422As

Curahee

Nice to know there are more M-422/M-422A/AN-6552/AN-J-3a/G-1 lovers around on the forum :D It almost feels like small cult within a cult or something....Hacker can you us show your Ed Church ?

hacker

Curahee said:
Nice to know there are more M-422/M-422A/AN-6552/AN-J-3a/G-1 lovers around on the forum :D It almost feels like small cult within a cult or something....Hacker can you us show your Ed Church ?

IMGP2048.jpg

I might have posted this previously. My two current fav's. The Block is a size 42, and fits perfectly. The Church is sized 40, but like all Church's is larger than stated, it fits as a large 42, my all-time favorite! :D ....I have sold several Church's to members here, maybe a few can post them, they are beauties!

Hacker

Andrew

I'm a bit like Mikey, i've tried a couple but at least the few i've had didn't work for me at all, but they were only late 60's vintage and I really doubt they were any good- the cut from the back reminded me of those two guys walking down the street in Beverley Hills Cop :lol:

However, I do think i'd be happy if I could find a larger sized M-422a like Pete's...

rotagz

There is no denying the appeal of the 422 and 422A jackets, but I personally prefer the G-1 because it's shorter body fits my carcass better. The Foster 55J14 probably being my favorite cut. Have seen great goat hides from all the different makers, but Monarchs seem to be consistently the best.
And Peter, that AN jacket of yours couldn't be any nicer. It's a rarity too isn't it, with the USN stencilling? Didn't those usually just have US?

Peter Graham

rotagz said:
And Peter, that AN jacket of yours couldn't be any nicer. It's a rarity too isn't it, with the USN stencilling? Didn't those usually just have US?
Thanks very much. They did indeed usually have US but my jacket is Foster's last contract for the AN-J-3a so maybe by that stage they realised that the Army were just not interested so applied the usual USN stencil. I'm sure that's not the real reason. Maybe someone will know the truth.

bobbyball

hacker said:
Curahee said:

IMGP2048.jpg

I might have posted this previously. My two current fav's. The Block is a size 42, and fits perfectly. The Church is sized 40, but like all Church's is larger than stated, it fits as a large 42, my all-time favorite! :D ....I have sold several Church's to members here, maybe a few can post them, they are beauties!

Hacker

Yes, my Church is marked a size 40 but comes up bigger. The one I have had a new mouton from Eastman a few years back and it is a lovely honey colour like the H&L bLocks I have.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Peter Graham said:
They did indeed usually have US but my jacket is Foster's last contract for the AN-J-3a so maybe by that stage they realised that the Army were just not interested so applied the usual USN stencil. I'm sure that's not the real reason. Maybe someone will know the truth.

Sounds right. :)

The Fosters come with US, or USN stencils, so it's likely that the change was made during the production of that last contract. Even the contract number, N383S 1035, fits with the new 55J14 series ... all other AN6552/AN-J-3A contracts being prefixed N288S.