• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Return of the A1

Persimmon

With Spring in the air I thought it time to start wearing my A1.

I gave it a lot of wear last summer but then decided to let it go to Dan (Horseback Leader).
As you do sometimes you regret some buys or sells and I decided to buy it back.

In another post you may have noticed the trials and tribulations of getting it back but all is now well. Thankfully Dan as well.

We went out yesterday and I got the "Boss" to take some pictures.
Apparently the Stately home we were visiting should have been the focus of the photography of the day !!

So please see a picture of the house and the "Boss " as well to please her.

The jacket fits as good as ever and I intend to wear it hard over the next few months weather permitting

A1pics007.jpg

A1pics005.jpg

A1pics004.jpg

A1pics008.jpg

A1rpictures005.jpg

A1pictures007.jpg

A1pics003.jpg

dmar836

Looks great - the jacket too!
Who made the jacket again?
I've wondered about the thinness reported on originals. Is this lighter than the typical A-2?
Wear it well,
Dave

Persimmon

dmar836 said:
Looks great - the jacket too!
Who made the jacket again?
I've wondered about the thinness reported on originals. Is this lighter than the typical A-2?
Wear it well,
Dave

Dave,
It's by Eastman.
It is certainly lighter than an A2.
Its almost like wearing a waistcoat.
Thats the Capeskin for you but it can take a lot of hard knocks.

Marrk

Man, what a perfect fit! Beautiful jacket, too!

Think I'll have a look over at the Eastman site.

Weasel_Loader

That's some green grass!!! Almost hurts the eyes. :lol:

Seriously, that's a nice A1. I've had one of those on my to-get list. ;)

johnwayne

Thats it - you've convinced me, my next jacket's an A1!! Been on the lookout for one for some time and was always concerned about the fit - really like Goodwear's leather but the one I tried to buy in the 'sale' on JC's site last year John reckoned would be too small - even a 44" yet the jacket I bought instead, a Doniger A2, was a 44" and a perfect fit!! I subsequently tried a 44" Eastman at Duxford last July and it was good but funds didnt permit at the time - theyve gone up since!!! Now according to Eastmans site it 'suggests' I opt for a 46" - think I'll be dropping Gary a note and make sure he's got something at Duxford this year - unless that is, anyone 's got one to offload??

Cheers
Wayne

Dr H

Hi Wayne

Not offloading, but just a bit concerned about the sizing - double check the measurements.

I had a GW 42 Doniger and found that just a touch snug (or at least trimmer than I'd like). GW sizes are usually period correct so a GW 44 equates to a wartime 44 (ca. modern 42-44).

My wartime A-2s are perfect in a size 44 and I picked up a ELC A-1 from a forum member (also in a 44) and this fits perfectly too. I'd be concerned that an ELC 46 might swamp you.

Sleeves can run a little long but don't tunnel too much as the hide is thin. Nevertheless, I'm getting my A-1 altered at Aero at the moment as it'll be my daily wearer.

Good choice - my next step is to take Alan's advice and get the jacket in a shower to bring out some graining.

Best

Ian

Persimmon

Dr H said:
Nevertheless, I'm getting my A-1 altered at Aero at the moment as it'll be my daily wearer.

Best

Ian

Ian
What are you having done at Aero to the A1 jacket.
Is it adjusting length /fit ?
Whats their lead time at the moment re alterations ?

Dr H

Hi Alan
Yes, just sleeve length (taper shouldn't be an issue given the profile of the forearms).
I've measured/remeasured my horsehide Perry (shoulder to leather cuff and armpit to leather cuff) asked Amanda to achieve the same length in the A-1.
They did good work for me on the last occasion (and the price was reasonable). On measuring the A-1 sleeves there was 1/2 inch difference between L and R so I opted not to send it back 'home' for shortening.
Aero closed this week so lead time ca. 4 weeks.
Are you still considering your 23377 sleeves or will it go for sale? Still dieting here to lose a jacket size ;)
Best
Ian

Persimmon

Ian,
The Perry is now safely in the United States and has "left the building".

No I was thinking of just taking a half inch or so of the back of the A1.

Maybe a touch more in the centre tapering from the back edges to the middle.
Its such a small thing but something that would make the jacket even better for me.

Perhaps I will wait to the Autumn when it gets put away for the A2

In the meantime its perfect to wear in this Spring weather.

Dr H

Hi Alan

Ah well, I can start eating again now that the Perry has left these shores :roll: .

I wore my 23377 to Woking yesterday (visiting McLaren Racing) and although the capeskin A-1 would have been preferable in the heat the goatskin was markedly thinner/cooler than my 42-16175-P - which doesn't get much wear in the summer months. In time, I'll upgrade my 23377 - it's rougher around the edges, as I do prefer the contract.

I think that your suggestion is a good one and the smaller modifications can make a great difference to comfort, especially if you've found a jacket that works well for you (hence my work on the sleeves).

I would wait for the autumn though - I should have waited until the same time, but just got impatient! Of course, I'm now keen to get the jacket back to enable me to raise the grain on it, which is the only drawback on such a finely worked hide. At least your images show that it's possible to do it with the ELC jacket.

Best

Ian

dujardin

this is a splendid jacket
i really like his look (20's - 30's)
this is a jacket on my wishlist.

johnwayne

Hi Ian
thanks for your advice - I would probably go for a 44 as clearly this is a jacket that should fit snug but with with ELC at Duxford it offers you the chance to 'try before you buy' hence the wait 'till July when it'll be too warm to wear probably but what the heck!
The 44 I tried last year did have a prominent fold crease right across the back panel otherwise I may have gone for it even though cash was a little tight at the time so that was a reason not to but my earliest A2 from ELC suffered the same and is still there today all these years on - nowhere near as noticeable its true. A forum member has contacted me re a 46 so I need to check measurements etc on that front.

As to Alans jacket I'd be pleased to get one to fit like that - why the bottom studs undone I ask? It is dress 'etiquette' to do that on a waistcoat, well the bottom button anyway and it looks pretty cool so why not!!

Cheers
Wayne

Persimmon

johnwayne said:
As to Alans jacket I'd be pleased to get one to fit like that - why the bottom studs undone I ask? It is dress 'etiquette' to do that on a waistcoat, well the bottom button anyway and it looks pretty cool so why not!!

Cheers
Wayne

Wayne
I do wear waistcoats and yes the bottom button is unbuttoned.

As for the A1 I tend to prefer the line of the jacket with the Studs at the bottom undone.

I think it adds a slight panache to the wearing of it but the main reason is that the cut of the A1 is for me a little boxy and if I put on both studs there is a tendency for a slight gap to appear between the bottom and second bottom button appearing.

Nothing serious just a hint of shirt etc and I really am not that heavy on the waist that I can say is the reason.

I blame the Jacket Sickness Madness that inflicts me instead !!

Still its an interesting thought.
Who wears their A1 studs open or closed ??