• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The re-occurring “Newbie” problem , seeking input.

ShanghaiJack

As my wise old Uncle used to say:
If you don't shit in your own yard,
you don't step on your own shit...

Those that join and post tire kicker
threads don't bother me.

I'm here for the excellent education
provided by our members that generously
share their unrivaled wisdom and experience
with the VLJ.

MikeyB-17

Seems pretty simple to me: if you find these posts annoying ignore them.

Members of this forum surely have to accept that given the website name, anyone who finds a jacket that they wish to value and Googles something like ‘vintage leather jacket value’, is likely to come across this forum. It equally seems pretty odd to expect that person to do anything other than start a thread, asking for answers to the information they seek.

I’ll admit that in the past I got annoyed by these threads (anyone recall that genuine B-3 find). But now I just don’t care. It takes much less time and effort to ignore them than login and write some snide comment. Let’s be honest as well, it often also often takes minimal effort to supply the poster with the information they’re looking for “that’s a 70s mall jacket, worth about $10”.
Aye, you’re not wrong there. I’ve given up answering them because it seemed every time I did, no matter how politely I tried to put it, people got all huffy and ‘sorry my jacket isn’t worthy of your time’ when I told them their mall jacket wasn’t really what we deal with. Perils of communicating by the written word, I guess. But it’s true, as long as we’re a place where vintage jackets are discussed, you’re going to get these queries. And I agree, the best thing is just to be civil about it, tell them what they want to know (I’m still not keen on giving valuations though-although I note on Faecesbook people seem to do it), and let them be on their way, happy that the nice chaps on VLJ have helped them out, not determined never to come back and probably badmouthing us left right and centre because of somebody’s snide comments.