• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The re-occurring “Newbie” problem , seeking input.

B-Man2

So .. I was discussing this problem with Jan a moderator and a couple of VLJ members, and it was suggested that I repost this under its own thread. Looking for suggestions or input from all members as how to establish a policy to deal with this issue. It’s gotten to the point where we occasionally lose a member or two each year over this stuff .

Just read thru the recent thread on identifying the Beck MC jacket a couple of times in its entirety and came to the same conclusion each time. I’ll share it with whoever’s interested. We tend to go thru this scenario every couple of months, where a new poster pops us and asks for information about this or that jacket and finally what’s it worth. Once they have their answers, most of them move on but on some occasions a few stick around and become contributing members here. But at least a couple times a year we end up divided into two groups ; those who don’t mind providing information and appraisals to the new poster and those who have grown tired of giving it all up, only to see the newbie drop out of sight never to be heard from again. More importantly, much of the time that this happens, it results in a division between a member or two on each side of the issue. Occasionally the end result is that the newbie moves on and in the aftermath of the conflict between the two groups, pro and con, we also wind up losing a member who gets pissed off at the other side of the issue and just says “screw it” and leaves the forum.
So the question becomes how do we resolve this problem, so that we keep everyone happy and don’t loose any members we have now.
We need to establish a policy to deal with this.

So why not agree to let those who want to follow thru and answer all the questions and give appraisals do so. And let’s further agree that if you’re not in that group who wants to provide that service, that we simply ignore the posters questions and let the other group deal with them. No comments, no remarks, no negative anything.

Having been around for a while I freely admit that it gets old seeing people drop in for a few posts , get what they want and then leave. But… I would rather keep my mouth shut and let those who decide to answer, do so , than to post anything negative that might offend another member and potentially be the cause of loosing a long time well established member and friend on this forum. So is there a way that we can establish a gentleman’s agreement or policy that fosters this type of action ?
How about your thoughts on this and maybe even some ideas that would help out .

Last edited by a moderator:

Smithy

I'm probably the minority but I honestly don't care. I know lots of guys seem to get the vapours about them though

I'm quite selective about what I read on here and most of those flash in the pan threads I can't even be arsed reading. They don't bother me or get my knickers in a knot though either.

mulceber

I'm probably the minority but I honestly don't care. I know lots of guys seem to get the vapours about them though

I'm quite selective about what I read on here and most of those flash in the pan threads I can't even be arsed reading. They don't bother me or get my knickers in a knot though either.

I know as a mod, I'm probably supposed to read everything, but...yeah, me too @Smithy. ;)

B-Man2

Following the submission of a $500 deposit, I think we should require prospective members to write a 5000 word essay about their "jacket journey" and why they belong here. Well-Known Members will be required to read the essay and vote on admission.
tmp.gif

Lord Flashheart

I'm in Smithy's camp. There are plenty of threads I don't read and I'm quite selective. Life's too short. Every now and then I miss something but I'll often come back round later and find something that interests me that I've missed. And we all started somewhere with some daft question or other so a bit of patience gets new members in my book.

I can't say I have much time for "I just found this jacket in my uncles attic, he served in [name any theatre, any war you like] so is this worth [insert ridiculous sum of money] ?" when patently it's a mall jacket uncle must've picked up in the 70"s. But amongst a few "tyre kickers" there are interesting jackets.

What irks me is that these questions usually arrive in a new thread all their own in which we all see the conversation go round the houses (again, and again and again...).

So I'd rather we had one pretty obvious thread in the main forum. Something like - "New member jacket queries - enquiries & input: So you have a question about a jacket...". That way more of these could be directed to this one thread and every now and then we'll see gold glittering in the pan.

As a sticky you could reference Burt's policy and link to that new enquiry thread. Burts proposal works for me but in this sticky I'd be pretty clear about our expectation that you'll take the time and give us the courtesy that you'll introduce yourself properly (link to that thread too) if you want us to put some energy into giving you a serious reply.

Last edited:

Dumpster D

This place is great, no matter what, it's my go-to 'happy place'

Try Garlic and a crucifix, and that'll just have to do for now.

Just been a weird full moon lately, Blame it on that.

I personally like a forum that's straight up Anarchy, see how it plays out, no holds barred.

Enigma1938

So why not agree to let those who want to follow thru and answer all the questions and give appraisals do so. And let’s further agree that if you’re not in that group who wants to provide that service, that we simply ignore the posters questions and let the other group deal with them. No comments, no remarks, no negative anything....

That's exactly the way I usually handle such things and it's not that difficult. I don't get it why people are getting pissed so easily for nothing...

Last edited:

917_k

Seems pretty simple to me: if you find these posts annoying ignore them.

Members of this forum surely have to accept that given the website name, anyone who finds a jacket that they wish to value and Googles something like ‘vintage leather jacket value’, is likely to come across this forum. It equally seems pretty odd to expect that person to do anything other than start a thread, asking for answers to the information they seek.

I’ll admit that in the past I got annoyed by these threads (anyone recall that genuine B-3 find). But now I just don’t care. It takes much less time and effort to ignore them than login and write some snide comment. Let’s be honest as well, it often also often takes minimal effort to supply the poster with the information they’re looking for “that’s a 70s mall jacket, worth about $10”.

Blackboxr1200S

Seems pretty simple to me: if you find these posts annoying ignore them.

Members of this forum surely have to accept that given the website name, anyone who finds a jacket that they wish to value and Googles something like ‘vintage leather jacket value’, is likely to come across this forum. It equally seems pretty odd to expect that person to do anything other than start a thread, asking for answers to the information they seek.

I’ll admit that in the past I got annoyed by these threads (anyone recall that genuine B-3 find). But now I just don’t care. It takes much less time and effort to ignore them than login and write some snide comment. Let’s be honest as well, it often also often takes minimal effort to supply the poster with the information they’re looking for “that’s a 70s mall jacket, worth about $10”.
1709370382634.png