the rarest usn jacket! seabees

Discussion in 'eBay / Auction Talk' started by M. from Berlin, May 31, 2017.

1. M. from Berlin

M. from Berlin Member

Code:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/WW11-SEABEESUSN-DECKJACKET-ALL-ORIG-EXC-COND-LABEL-TALON-ZIP-NO-HOOD-TAG-SZ-44-/122522989564?hash=item1c86f073fc:g:kScAAOSwYvFZIDy8

2. Bombing IP

Bombing IP Active Member

Ridiculous

BIP

3. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Well-Known Member

rare? naw, over cooked.

4. dmar836

dmar836 Well-Known Member

LOL. Where's the incredibly long Wikipedia cut and paste about the formations and complete history of the Seabees?

5. asiamiles

asiamiles Active Member

Does anyone think the label really means it was made for the Seabees, or is it a commercial jacket given that name as selling tag?

I don't recall seeing an original Deck Jacket with that lining before, only the Japanese repros of them.

6. unclegrumpy

unclegrumpy Active Member

It is a commercial jacket just like all the postwar commercial "B-15" jackets. This is a jacket that some company picked a name that they hoped would help sell their jackets.

The Navy would not have marked a jacket "Seabees". On top of that, Seabees is the nickname for CBs...or Construction Battalion...which is what this type of unit was actually called. Granted the units had patches and insignia that said Seabees on it, but that does not mean they still were not officially Naval Construction Battalions.

7. asiamiles

asiamiles Active Member

The expected answer. Indeed, did the Navy ever actually issue a Deck Jacket with such a lining? Are the Japanese jackets actually repros of wartime or post-war commercial jackets?

8. unclegrumpy

I don't know enough about Japanese reproductions to say.

9. M. from Berlin

M. from Berlin Member

10. unclegrumpy

11. M. from Berlin

M. from Berlin Member

I know this reproduction, but the Eisner label looks very old!

12. unclegrumpy

This is not an area I know enough to say for sure, but believe there was also a commercial "Seabees" brand in the 1950's. I do know the Navy did not typically mark their labels like this.

13. M. from Berlin

M. from Berlin Member

But the trousers have the lacquered zipper, just like the 40s overalls or M 421 jackets! I dont know! ;-)

14. dmar836

dmar836 Well-Known Member

I sure hope we are not debating whether this is authentic WWII stuff.

Bombing IP and unclegrumpy like this.
  15. Bombing IP

Bombing IP Active Member

15 replies on the merits of a fantasy jacket ,Unbelievable ! . You post a solid interest on something you should get replies and nothing . This Real McCoy stuff is altered to suit the market its made for and does not represent the actual .In my opinion there are much better companies out there for 70% less money who supply jackets in sizes bigger than size 44" chest .
    BIP

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
  16. M. from Berlin

M. from Berlin Member

Now the treat is also called: Discussion in 'eBay / Auction Talk. Have we done something wrong here?

17. Bombing IP

Bombing IP Active Member

No you have done nothing wrong ,its my opinion that the interest in a jacket that never existed gets so much attention .
    BIP

dmar836 likes this.
  18. Bombing IP

Bombing IP Active Member

It would be fair to say that this Jacket is rarer than rocking horse shit .

BIP

19. unclegrumpy

An aspect of this thread that I think some are missing, is the difficulty for new collectors, especially ones that are not english language based, to sort some of this stuff out. Our years of experience also come into play as well, both with originals and reproductions, and studying the history. Many of us automatically know something is not what it seems to be, but explaining why, beyond saying..."it's a piece of crap" is not always that easy.

Not trying to toss a stone in anyone's direction, just pointing out that I think Berlin is only trying to learn something, and while he may be currently stuck on the wrong pathway, he at least has his thinking cap on, which is more than can be said for many new collectors.