• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The most expensive leather jacket

PLATON said:
The recent sale of JFK's G-1 must rank among the highest prices paid for a leather jacket. BTW did it go to anyone here?
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/02 ... at-auction

Yeah, even higher than MacArthur's.
MacArthur was a great man, a 5 star General, he almost won the war by himself.
His jacket was an older contract too.

But JFK was &^$^%$Y Marylin so his sold higher.
He wasn't any better than Clinton.

I really can't compare such men with MacArthur.

We're not comparing the men. We are at best comparing the state of affairs in the historical collectibles market. Adjust for inflation and see if that makes you feel any better. MacArthur "won the war by himself"...meh. JFK *may* have prevented WWIII and most certainly prevented further Soviet adventurism throughout Latin America. One was an inveterate womanizer, the other a self-aggrandizing mamas boy. People are complicated. My suggestion; Let's stick to jackets and selling prices.

A

Anonymous

One was a hero,
the other one was just... President
The fact that the President's jacket got a higher price proves that the values of modern society dictate that a President is a more popular figure than a hero, and this sucks. That's what my previous post was about, and not comparing the men.

If you want to talk about jackets, likewise,
the below jacket seems to be far more popular than A-2s and other classics

acafca5f_59130851dl_14_f.jpeg

And below is the figure they try to pass regarding how the modern man should look like

900x900px-LL-6746f3d9_22168M032001_1_1.jpeg

af90dd95_attachment-by-kazuyuki-kumagai-2013-spring-summer-collection-6.jpeg

38adffd9_IMG_3726.jpeg

and you(we) wear blue jeans and A-2 and are a minority.

F*** society...

A

Anonymous

forgot to say that the crap above costs twice a goodwear perhaps

Presidents and Soldiers are generally different types of Men. For good reason. It is precisely why Soldiers have quite often made mediocre-to-poor Presidents. Washington understood this. So did Eisenhower. Horses for Courses. Singling out the less desirable qualities of a Man and holding them against him to excess...deconstructing his overall Character...is impossible and reduces a Man in stature. Show me a Great Man of any stripe who is not flawed, complicated, and vulnerable. For that matter..show me a Man who can satisfy those criteria.

Some of those other jackets are okay. Some not. 'Twas Ever Thus!

A

Anonymous

what I know is
war is fought by soldiers not presidents
and so fighters are heros

I am not very familiar with how the exact story went, therefore if you know better you SHOULD argue
so I can learn from you. We are having a civilized discussion, not fighting. I am here to listen.
I do not claim to know everything, if you are an American you probably know better about MacArthur.

chamboid

PLATON said:
One was a hero,
The fact that the President's jacket got a higher price proves that the values of modern society dictate that a President is a more popular figure than a hero, and this sucks. That's what my previous post was about, and not comparing the men.

And below is the figure they try to pass regarding how the modern man should look like

38adffd9_IMG_3726.jpeg

F*** society...

so you're telling me, or rather they are telling me that the modern man should dress and look like we come from some sort of crap vampire film?

I wonder why that is? fuck me culture is so fickle, if they made a teenage flic about 60's milkmen the way the "modern man" would have to look like this...

5_zpsa3ce81e3.jpeg

and i;m pretty sure thats a woman

chamboid

PLATON said:
One was a hero,

38adffd9_IMG_3726.jpeg

F*** society...

So you're telling me, or rather they are telling me that the modern man should dress and look like we come from some sort of crap vampire film?

I wonder why that is? fuck me culture is so fickle, if they made a teenage flic about 60's milkmen the way the "modern man" would have to look like this...

5_zpsa3ce81e3.jpeg

and I'm pretty sure thats a woman

PLATON said:
what I know is

I am not very familiar with how the exact story went, therefore if you know better you SHOULD argue
so I can learn from you. We are having a civilized discussion, not fighting. I am here to listen.
I do not claim to know everything, if you are an American you probably know better about MacArthur.

Hi HorsehideKing; I don't know or care what axes anyone else here may want to grind with you, but I agree with you; we're having a civilized discussion. MacArthur = Great General. Kennedy = Pretty Good President Clinton = Pretty Good President. All of them had their flaws. All of then ended up getting the Legend printed, to paraphrase a famous quote.

Peter Graham

PLATON said:
what I know is

Platon, do some reading and form your own opinion about McArthur. I don't want to influence you with mine. You say " war is fought by soldiers not presidents and so fighters are heroes". Some of the presidents were soldiers before they were presidents, JFK and George Bush Snr. are just two that spring to mind. Does that not therefore, make them heroes ?

TOMG1401

I dispute that is authentic, photo's and film from Combat America, would not verify that as his A-2, all his USAAF uniforms were custom made for him by the MGM costume dept. as were all his clothing, this is fact