• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The LW Dubow label- an exercise in denial and hilarity

dmar836

I perceive the text on his site as critical and bitter to all who are his competition. The more of a cottage industry it is(aka GW), the more he warns you of them. In addition, forums like this that tend to support such makers, are held suspect.
This is just my perception but I don't take his comments as competition-friendly at all.
Based on the attitude portrayed, I could just imagine an attempt at returning an item. What a nightmare that could be!
At risk of crudeness, he sounds he's just a real prick.
JM(crude)O,
Dave

SuinBruin

RCSignals said:
SuinBruin said:
ATF is acerbic and funny. I've bought stuff from them and gotten good service. LW is weird and hostile. I doubt I'll ever get one of their jackets.

I wouldn't class it as hostile. Maybe if you feel it is directed at you personally.
Their jackets, of which they produce much more than flight jackets, are excellent. You'd be denying yourself, but that doesn't matter really, buy what appeals to you.
No, I don't believe it's directed at me personally, except insofar as I am part of the unwashed masses who are not enlightened enough to buy a jacket from him (but have from several of his competitors). But the overall tone of hostility and disdain to those who aren't like him is not appealing. The commentary on the LW site is pretty rife with homophobia, misogyny, and jingoism. There's also no hint of self-deprecation, which goes a long way to leaven otherwise pointed comments.

To each his own. I prefer to buy from GW, for the sake of accuracy and quality, to say nothing of John's customer service and extremely helpful and positive attitude.

Phantomfixer

I have not dealt with LW in a few years. I do love their horsehide. I would take a LW A-2 made from their HH and mate it with an Eastman pattern. That would be a rockin A-2. I love LW HH but not the pattern. My opinion. I would like to buy a LW B-3 some day. They look tough...
John

watchmanjimg

How many of these threads will it take for some of you to stop whining about Lost Worlds? You'd have to be nuts to take Stu's hyperbolic rant seriously in the first place, but aside from that it's amazing how few opinions here are based on actual experience doing business with the guy. Most of us who have are happy with the product and service. Yes, John Chapman has a completely different approach and that's great--it's also irrelevant. Get a grip!

RCSignals

jzist said:
I have not dealt with LW in a few years. I do love their horsehide. I would take a LW A-2 made from their HH and mate it with an Eastman pattern. That would be a rockin A-2. I love LW HH but not the pattern. My opinion. I would like to buy a LW B-3 some day. They look tough...
John

I think LW will sell you HH. I don't know though if you could get Eastman to make you a jacket from it.

A

Anonymous

RC:
I think LW will sell you HH. I don't know though if you could get Eastman to make you a jacket from it.

Wow! The worst of both worlds! Way too thick spray-painted horsehide mated with those high pockets and other inaccuracies! BRRRRR! Makes me shudder... :eek:

Andrew

rotenhahn said:
Way too thick spray-painted horsehide mated with those high pockets and other inaccuracies! BRRRRR! Makes me shudder... :eek:

Yup, me too (and i've very briefly owned one).

Vcruiser

rotenhahn said:
RC:

Wow! The worst of both worlds! Way too thick spray-painted horsehide mated with those high pockets and other inaccuracies! BRRRRR! Makes me shudder... :eek:

Yep..me as well. I had one as my first A2..briefly...until I saw up close what else was offered.

Van

RCSignals

rotenhahn said:
RC:

You are hilarious. But it is joist who asked.

A

Anonymous

TOM:
Interesting topic...............10 years ago

I agree- and sadly the forum itself was far more interesting 7 or 8 or even 10 years ago- full of drama and acrimony and opinions as it was- now it's -well- placid, lukewarm, milquetoast... controlled...

A

Anonymous

John- I have a few MA-1s and some CWUs and a 1977 G-1 (which I really like) but all my other jackets are gone- I've been collecting/obsessing about flight jackets since the mid-70s but everything I had was sold to make way for others. My goal has always been to have a WW2 jacket which I could wear guilt free- that has finally been realized...

John Lever

rotenhahn said:
John- I have a few MA-1s and some CWUs and a 1977 G-1 (which I really like) but all my other jackets are gone- I've been collecting/obsessing about flight jackets since the mid-70s but everything I had was sold to make way for others. My goal has always been to have a WW2 jacket which I could wear guilt free- that has finally been realized...
That's great, is it an A-2 ?

A

Anonymous

I have 2 repros which for me require almost no suspension of disbelief to imagine are Original WW2 jackets- a Dubow and a 18091 RW. I can wear the heck out of them guilt free...

John Lever

rotenhahn said:
I have 2 repros which for me require almost no suspension of disbelief to imagine are Original WW2 jackets- a Dubow and a 18091 RW. I can wear the heck out of them guilt free...
That's good, wear them in good health.

A

Anonymous

From out of the mists of time...
100_2711.jpg