• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The LW Dubow label- an exercise in denial and hilarity

A

Anonymous

Check out these original labels:
This one pretty new:
origgwlabelcopy.jpg

This one a bit saltier:
label-1-1.jpg

and this beat up one:
label-1.jpg

I know this is a dead horse I'm beating but there may be some people unfamiliar with the Lost Worlds label and it's
silly incorrectness:
lw11copy.jpg

The little size tag below the label is a cheap and lazy solution to having to make different tags for each size but the
thing that wrankles is that silly missing "1" from the " Drawing No 30-1415 line on the label. Every A-2 ever made was
patterned after Drawing # 30-1415 but according to Stewie there were "variants" which were marked 30- 415!
Hilarious and not a little sad the amount of denial to stick to your guns after all hope of redemption is gone.
The first "1" in "1415" on the Dubow 27798 label seems to have worn out easily- my chain of pictures of original labels
shows this. The fu*#ed up label is from a silly little man who claims (and I quote): "We don't make mistakes, period." I plan a couple of more posts
on the Lost Worlds Dubow which will show some more MISTAKES! PERIOD! To be honest I know it's like shooting fish in a barrel
and I also understand that like young people who wear their pants down on their knees Stewie probably mostly enjoys
pissing people off with his bloviating! Still it is fun to so easily show graphically BAD reproducing of original A2s...

Persimmon

Interesting post and look forward to more of them.

I am not sure if its just me but "Lost Worlds" are almost unknown in England and are "nobodys" in the world of repro jacket making.

Is Stewie someone who works at Lost Worlds ?

Ignorance can be bliss sometimes...... especially when mistakes never happen ....Period

Roughwear

Many here are well aware of the issues with LW jackets and the "facts" espoused by the gentleman who runs the buisness. His original A2s are the best thing about the LW website.

MikeyB-17

Yeah, just like M-422A's, AN-J-3A's and AN6552's are all 'G-1's'. Daft thing is Stu actually makes some beautiful jackets, but you only have to read the website to see what you're dealing with. I know there are those who have dealt with him and won't have a word said against him, but the opinions on the website alone would be enough to put me off, even if I was in a position to buy one of his jackets.

Jason

For my money, the label certainly has the 'air' of the original... the typeface is convincing enough. The pattern itself... I think of it in the same vein as an Eastman 'house' A-2. So while not as authentic as a GW by any stretch of the imagination, in and of itself, its not a bad jacket.

The LW A-2 I had was very thick and gave a sense of real security, like you were wearing something inpenetrable. If the A-2 was a pilots 'leather armor', then putting on the LW is like slipping into a Chobham cocoon! Again, not something truly authentic, but unique and perhaps desirable to some.

But yes, it is amusing how the proprietor adorns himself and resulting products with infallacy.

John Lever

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgKf8GAmyi4[/video]
Not sure who this is as his face is covered but there are clues....
To be fair to LW, the jackets I have had [B-2, Anj-4 and B-3] were all beautifully made, the sheepskins were amazing quality, but the HH was horrible.

RCSignals

rotenhahn said:
............(and I quote): "We don't make mistakes, period."

Could you please post a link to that quote? I've just spent some enjoyable time reading the web site, but must have missed that specific line.

Roughwear

This is particular is worthy of note-really sound advice. :roll: :lol:

Be most wary of so-called "Non-Commercial," "Information Only," "Here to help you" web sites, chat groups, etc. Run by self-appointed "experts," these are usually manufacturer shills. LOST WORLDS does not participate in or sanction such activity. We have no proxies doing our work for us -- LOST WORLDS jackets sell themselves.

RCSignals

rotenhahn said:
http://www.lostworldsinc.com/Vintage_Americana_Flight_Jackets.htm

That particular jewel is ensconsed in this river of caca...

Thanks.
Within context of the entire page it is less harsh. I always like to keep such statements within their original context.

RCSignals

Roughwear said:
This is particular is worthy of note-really sound advice. :roll: :lol:

Be most wary of so-called "Non-Commercial," "Information Only," "Here to help you" web sites, chat groups, etc. Run by self-appointed "experts," these are usually manufacturer shills. LOST WORLDS does not participate in or sanction such activity. We have no proxies doing our work for us -- LOST WORLDS jackets sell themselves.

It is actually pretty good advice when you think about it. Such sites do exist, which portray themselves as informational, but also happen to produce and or sell their own very items of topic. Other sites which are heavily dominated by one or a few favored vendors which tend to dominate discussion or recommendation.
One of the reasons I like this site is that sort of thing is pretty well tempered. I know John Chapman is a moderator, but to his credit he does not abuse that position for self promotion.
Here Discussions of other manufacturers are not shouted down and specific posts Are not edited mysteriously or disappear all together.

A

Anonymous

RC:
Within context of the entire page it is less harsh.

ReallY? Do you expect to be able to make statements like that and just hope people won't read the page? That "LW... makes no mistakes..." nugget is one little statement in a long, pathetic, slef-aggrandizing, condescending missive which only displaysthe depth of poor Stewie's insecurity...

A

Anonymous

"Wound up" is the way I am if by that you mean I have a very finely tuned Bullshitometer. The ONLY defense for Stewie and his silliness is that he's tongue in cheek about all this stuff and like the aforementioned young people of today who wear their pants to their knees he bloviates the way he does to piss people like me off! If so then hats off to him- touche! There is stuff on the LW website that displays true psycho-sexual neurosis- if Stewie writes all this stuff "in character" as a kind of performance piece artwork then great! If he's for real then WHOA- where are the men in the white suits?

SuinBruin

Yeah, all the bravado and overblown machismo on that site makes you wonder what he's repressing and/or compensating for. :?

RCSignals

There are other just as entertaining vendor web sites. 'At The Front' and 'Fortune of Glory'(especially the older versions) come to mind.

SuinBruin

ATF is acerbic and funny. I've bought stuff from them and gotten good service. LW is weird and hostile. I doubt I'll ever get one of their jackets.

RCSignals

SuinBruin said:
ATF is acerbic and funny. I've bought stuff from them and gotten good service. LW is weird and hostile. I doubt I'll ever get one of their jackets.

I wouldn't class it as hostile. Maybe if you feel it is directed at you personally.
Their jackets, of which they produce much more than flight jackets, are excellent. You'd be denying yourself, but that doesn't matter really, buy what appeals to you.