• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Repro Irvin project - UPDATE

Roughwear

The cowhide on the mid War Wareings jackets was spray or pigment finished whilst the cowhide on pre-War and early War IAC jackets was aniline dyed.

Hawkeye

Really looking forward to the final result. WHY OH WHY is it so hard for Eastman to make a jacket with decent sheepskin???

Andrew

John Lever said:
We may not be too keen on the current RAF skins but Rob tells me that the punters love 'em.
Isn't that unfortunate- reinventing fact. Because they (credible authority) make claims about the authenticity it becomes a reality, at least till Jon starts mass producing and reveals otherwise. ;)

Roughwear

Maybe these punters have not seen an original Irvin. Anyone who has can see ELC's sheepskin is now way off resembling a beige carpet! The early jackets were so much closer to originals. So much for progress!

flyboy

Isn't it because both ELC and Aero are using the same lambskins that ALC has been using for years?
Lambskin has another - more "standing" - texture, and maybe they all believe that that's what people want.
But we don't- We want short, curly sheepskin! Please!

jonnyboy

Hi guys,

It's starting to look more like a jacket now:

jacket-body1.jpg

Still pretty dodgy stitching, but it's getting there. I'm hoping to put the sleeves and collar on over the next few days.

Cheers,

Jon

art of a2

Mighty fine work jonnyboy. The sun even came out for your pictures. Must be an omen!

I'm looking forward to seeing the jacket with the arms and collar attached.

Have you got a waiting list yet?

You must be pleased. keep us posted..

Andrew

Bloody brilliant Jon. Love the effect of the rippling of that right hand side. Hmm, winter will be here in a few months too!

jonnyboy

Hi guys,

Sleeve #1 is now attached to the jacket body, sleeve #2 is nearly finished, soon to be attached. The second sleeve was easier to put together, and the stitching is a bit better than on the first. The end is in sight!

sleeve-2.jpg

Cheers,

Jon

MikeyB-17

Boy, this is looking great. If these ever go into production, I'm seriously interested. Well played that man.

art of a2

Looking good. Don't worry about the stitching. That'll come I'm sure.

From what I've seen so far your work is 'out of the top draw'.

Just keep us updated..