• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Repro Irvin project - FINISHED!

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
calvindance.gif

jack aranda

I've not chipped in before now, as I'm not usually a big fan of shearling. BUT, I just took a look at your jacket back on page 1 of this thread, and, I'm as stunned and wowed as everyone else, johnnyboy. That is one heck of a piece of work. Well done! I may have to move somewhere with a real winter to justify buying one. :)

A

Anonymous

Really amazing, congratulations. I imagine should be much harder to make than the A-2s
I am waiting to see your B-3.

Jason

Absolutely superb! Be very proud of your efforts, when you're this engaged in a project there's no tougher critic than yourself. To the rest of us, we're seeing something that may as well be an Irvin stored in a time capsule from 1940.

zoomer

:ugeek: You have learned well grasshoppa...you may be justly proud.
This was not a project for a beginner - yet you done done it!
applause.gif

I hope you'll next consider a B-2! You'd have one customer and probably more!

jonnyboy

Hi guys,

Thank you for all the great comments and encouragement! To be honest, I'm completely bowled over by the response. I didn't really know what the outcome would be when I started this project. For me it was about making a reproduction Irvin which looked and felt as much like an original as possible, because that's what I had been looking for, but hadn't found.

The only thing I'm not happy with on the test jacket is some of the stitching. I think a bit of wonky stitching is fine, and to aim to make a 'stitch perfect' repro would not be in keeping with original Irvins - I don't think any of them had perfect stitching. What I am keen to achieve though is stitching which is competent enough to be professional. I improved a lot just on this test jacket, so over the next month or so I will be doing lots of practising!

Now that I've successfully put a jacket together I've come to realise how important this project is to me. I'd love more than anything to be able to do this full time. Even though it was hard, I enjoyed every minute of it. Some of the materials and hardware I bought and had made are in sufficient quantity to kit out a squadron or two, but I will need to order more sheepskin after the next two or three jackets. These will be test jackets, but hopefully to a saleable standard. One concern I have is the potential price I would have to charge if I go into full production. There's no way that I can compete with the likes of Eastman or Aero on price, as they are larger-scale makers with machinists, more buying power, etc. Taking into consideration the high cost of the materials and the time it takes me to make them, I would have to charge more than Eastman and Aero to make an income. What I'd like to know, in order to see if I can actually make this work, is how much would people be willing to part with? Your input on this would be really appreciated, because I don't want to get off on the wrong foot with something so important.

Anyway, I don't want to get ahead of myself, so in the meantime here are a few more photos of some of the details. I still have the elastic collar strap to sew together, so will post a photo of that when it's done.

Cheers guys, and thanks again for all your support.

Open-1.jpg

Sleeve-top.jpg

Hanging-strap.jpg

Collar-strap.jpg

Collar-back.jpg

Collar-rings.jpg

Buckle.jpg

Air-vents.jpg

markc

Stunning, just stunning, and a first effort to boot!

I don't post here as often as I should but I keep an eye on the forum and am amazed by the skill and dedication shown by some of you guys who have started making your own jackets.

How does one learn to do something like that?

Keep it up, personally I think that you've a potential career there (certainly based on the comments) if that's what you want.

Cheers,

flyboy

Whats a jacket like that worth to the owner?
Since we are talking almost "tailormade" - plus the care you put into choosing and selecting the right material, fleece, zippers, thread etc. etc I would say a price around 600-700£ for ordinary sizes and 750 for bigger ones (like mine)
Isn't that the price for a nice and solid original these days?

zoomer

markc said:
Stunning, just stunning, and a first effort to boot!

I don't post here as often as I should but I keep an eye on the forum and am amazed by the skill and dedication shown by some of you guys who have started making your own jackets.

How does one learn to do something like that?
From my limited experience, you have to be willing to waste a lot of time, effort, money and material - which will no longer be wasted the moment you complete something the way you want it.

A lot of what you're doing is still considered precious trade knowledge and was always kept out of books and courses. Imagine if no one would show you how to fix a carburetor or miter a baseboard - you'd have to reinvent a lot of wheels, and do a lot more "getting it wrong" to get it right.

I've only done repairs so far, and limited ones. But it strikes me as a fun process studded with a lot of negatives and roadblocks. That makes it a challenge - trying to get past those "no, you can'ts."

A

Anonymous

After seeing the detail photos must say that this is unbelievably good.

jonnyboy

Again, thanks for the positive comments guys.

Søren, that's roughly the figure I was coming out at, after adding up the material costs and time, etc. Well, I should have two or three jackets for sale in the next couple of months (in the same size as the test jacket, which I would say is a size 42-44). I need to work out how to accurately scale up and down from the pattern, to offer different sizes. Hopefully that will be sorted out quite quickly.

Regarding labels, as the original jacket I made the pattern from was most likely a Wereing's jacket, and there have been a few comments noting the similarity to Wareing's jackets, it would be great to make an accurate copy of a wereing's label. Does anyone have a good example of one which they could take a clear photo of? It would be nice to offer this as a 'maker' jacket. The next step would then be to reproduce other specific manufacturers, with their labels. And a Coastal Command....

Cheers,

Jon

rich

Jon, I can't remember where I got these, but it was surely Andrew Roughwear or Andrew Leadsky........... if so maybe they could do you some better hi-res shots.

w1.jpg

w2.jpg

Andrew

Jon, i'm happy to take and send you detail shots and dimensions of my Wareings if you'd like them. It's a size 5 and is labelled.

I personally prefer the pre War pattens so i'll have to wait a year or so till our next season I suspect, but that'll allow time to save for it and by then you'd have sorted out the details after Andrew's given you all the info you need for a '38 IAC :cool: .

ps I just tried to post but Rich's got in before me- yep, I think that's my jacket....

jonnyboy

Thanks for the label pics Rich! I'll see if I can work from them.

Andrew, when you say pre war, are you meaning fewer seams, or more closely cropped wool?

OK John, here's a couple of photos of me wearing the jacket. Sorry, but you have to put up with my ugly mug as well!

Cheers,

Jon

wearing-front.jpg

wearing-BACK.jpg

Andrew

jonnyboy said:
Andrew, when you say pre war, are you meaning fewer seams, or more closely cropped wool?

Yes Jon, something like this with pale Veg tanned trim. I'm also interested in the look of the skin as i'm not a huge fan of either shiny leather or ELC's pre-aged.
P5080167-Copy.jpg

Please don't think i'm being a critical bugger as I think your creation is by far the most exciting thing i've seen, I just prefer the earlier finishes and details.

While I have photobucket open, here's my Wareings worn- same as yours.
P5090157-Copy.jpg