• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

RED WING IRON RANGER boots

Grant

Red Wing is remaking one of their early boot designs that was originally made for iron workers in the 60's. They look kinda like 40's service shoes with the cap toe, but are made from a lighter brown color unique to Red Wing boots.
ironrangerside.jpg
ironranger.jpg

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the heads-up Grant. I agree, they are an awesome looking pair of boots. Now where did I leave my credit card ? :D

Dave

Grant

Yeah, it's pretty cool they're making their old design again and staying true to the original color leather. For some silly reason this original color is only available in Europe and Japan, but supposedly it will become available later this year in the US.

Grant

They're a composite cork/rubber soles with the cool old Red Wing logo stamped in the heel.

Chandler

That's still $208 US, and the same price we pay if not "on sale."

And I wouldn't be worried about delivery as much as wondering how far $300 would take me, there's a Red Wing store down the road from me. Might have to see how their sales are going for the quarter...

Chandler

kevlarg

Jake431 said:
How do they fit, Grant (And yes I will get your boots in the mail, soon, I promise!)?

-Jake

Yeah I was curious about fit as well. I have heard Red Wings can be a bit big and that I should order a half size down. Do you find this to be true?

-Kevin

Grant

Normally I wear a sz. 10 so that's what I got and they fit fine. I paid $230 delivered from Germany. It really sucks you can't get the original color in the states yet even though their made here. Since they were made in the US I don't mind paying what I did for them. With most boots made in China or somewhere else I'm happy to support American workers.

Tim P

i cant help feeling that that particular brand of red wing can be substituted more cheaply from at the front or ww2 impressions with no loss of quality. all you would lose are the hooks at the top.
other vintage styles not so much so.

Grant

Doug, The marketing manager for Red Wing Germany was visiting NY so he brought a pair for me.

Tim, They do kinda look like WWII service shoes, but that's not why I bought them. I liked them because the look like a pair of old school work boots from the 50's or 60's. A friend told me the original design was made by Red Wing back in the 50's for iron workers who needed a boot with nonslip soles (hence the Iron Ranger name). It's kinda cool that Red Wing is re-introducing some of their old designs.

If you want a pair of repro WWII service shoes, you're right, buy from WWII Impressions or any of the other repro makers.

Grant

josisek

Not sure if anyone mentioned this ... but j. crew online has a few Red Wing vintage styles that look quite good -- including the iron ranger. Not cheap though.

Jeff

Tommer45

I've got a pair of the Alden "indy boots" and while they are extremely comfortable boots the leather is very thin. I put a 3/4 inch gash competely through the leather in mine when I accidentally caught them on my pick-axe while walking in the garage. I wear my Wescos or Red Wings for the tough stuff but the Aldens definitely keep your feet comfortable.