• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

RED WING IRON RANGER boots

Doug C

Hey guys just thought I'd pass along that these boots can be had for $229.95 shipped from bakershoes. They are $275 everywhere else, zappos has 'em for $269. Baker's has a pretty decent rep too. I just ordered a pair of black cherry GT's for $219.95 delivered.

Best deal in town (vertual town of course) http://www.bakershoe.com/red-wing-catalog/index.htm

Doug C

Grant

That's a great price, but they don't have the original natural color leather that my boots are made from. Red Wing told me it'll be available later this year so maybe they'll carry them then.

Doug C

Grant I didn't pay much attention to the color detail that you mentioned earlier in this thread, so now I'm confused. What model number is yours exactly? Because to me yours look very much like the color of the ones at bakershoes, I assumed that the picture was just darker on their site. I also assume (now) that those are darker than the ones you have though, right? Baker's doesn't specify a color but the model is 8111, while Cultizm has an 8112 Iron Ranger boot who's color is called "oro-iginal". That's probably what you have, but the color doesn't really come off looking much lighter, it just looks like the picture is brighter or was taken with more flash. Are you saying that this natural color will be released here in the states at some point?

Doug C

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Doug C said:
... but the color doesn't really come off looking much lighter, it just looks like the picture is brighter or was taken with more flash.

Doug, here's a UK site that carries both, so it's easier to compare ...

http://www.hobsonshoes.co.uk/shoes/rf/v ... Red%20Wing

8111 Amber Harness:

RW-8111-AmberHarness.jpg

8112 Oro-iginal:

RW-8112-Oro-iginal.jpg

CBI

very cool, great looking boots. One can buy What Price Glory or is it At The Front WWII repo AAF/US Army service shoes (boots) for $100-120 that are really excellent and half the price AND, they are fine quality.

Doug C

deeb7, those pics cleared up my confusion on color, thanks.... it's Oro. vs harness.
I've actually considered buying the rough-out version and waterproofing them with several coats of olive oil. There was a couple guys over at FL who did this to WWII rough-out repros and it created a wonderful brown color to the surface and maintained the breathability of the leather as well as waterproofing.

CBI, I've had the ATF boot and you're right they are a good value and they do have a lot in common with the Iron Ranger boots, and I hear the WWII Impressions ones are even better repros BUT the RWs are generally more refined, as they should be for the money you pay. Still though I think it's enough to make the RWs worth the extra cash if you're getting them to wear alot, but maybe not if they'd only be worn occasionally (JMHO).

Doug C

Grant

Thanks for posting the photos of the different colors offered, my boots are the 8112 model. I was told they're going to be available here in the states at some point this year, when I'm not sure. The color is definitely lighter than the model that's currently available here.

If you want repro WWII service shoes, get the cheaper WWII Imp, ATF or WPG boots. If you want a pair of cool, old school, cap toe work boots these are a great choice. BTW, I also have a pair of the WWII Impressions service shoes and the Red Wings are much more comfortable than the service shoes.

Doug C

grant wrote:
I was told they're going to be available here in the states at some point this year, when I'm not sure.

That's great because hopefully they'll also offer the 9013, which is just a natural colored plain-toe GT. I'll definately be getting those if I can. The whole "release a few models here and go back and release elsewhere later" thing is just bizzar to me. I guess that you could say that they'd release the rest of the european model to the states IF the sales were good on the inital models but really it seems like the rest of the planet is getting first dibs on an American made product - it certainly should be the other way around. I guess they just realise that there are many more people in the rest of the world that are willimg to pay such high prices, frustrating. I mean one of the main advertising pitch is 'made in the USA' then you don't offer the product to Americans, what the hell !? (rant over)

Doug C

CBI

Correct, I was just thinking in terms of boots to wear with a flight jacket. My boots get lots of wear and I have to say, I like the modest construction and look. The RW's are very nice.

zoomer

Doug C said:
grant wrote:
I was told they're going to be available here in the states at some point this year, when I'm not sure.

That's great because hopefully they'll also offer the 9013, which is just a natural colored plain-toe GT. I'll definately be getting those if I can. The whole "release a few models here and go back and release elsewhere later" thing is just bizzar to me. I guess that you could say that they'd release the rest of the european model to the states IF the sales were good on the inital models but really it seems like the rest of the planet is getting first dibs on an American made product - it certainly should be the other way around. I guess they just realise that there are many more people in the rest of the world that are willimg to pay such high prices, frustrating. I mean one of the main advertising pitch is 'made in the USA' then you don't offer the product to Americans, what the hell !? (rant over)

Doug C

They don't want to take sales away from what professional retail people in the USA want to push this season. We are a very big market, and that sometimes means less choice, rather than more. Economy of scale means that if you can't sell zillions of something in the US, it doesn't make sense to sell it at all.

The business, like any other, is also limited by the marketers' preconceptions of people's tastes. Trying new things in such a big market is very expensive and if it fails, it fails badly, causing losses for stores as well as manufacturers.

Remember, even in the internet era where you think you have unlimited choice, you will still pay a high premium for any choice that the mass marketer is not interested in.

High Iron

Was in Red Wing Friday to pick up some Iron Rangers. Wound up getting the 8111 and love them. I would suggest a full size smaller, they run big.

And for anyone looking for a pair they have the Hawthorn in sizes up to 11 1/2 US sizing for $80.00.

Red Wing Shoe Store
315 MAIN ST
RED WING MN 55066
651-388-6233

Jake431

I just got off the phone and they had no idea what I was talking about. No Hawthorn's for 80 bucks. Some J.Crew that ominously "looked like Hawthorne's but aren't" for 90 bucks that they had in the basement. So J.Crew is marking up like a fiend...? I wonder what the difference is between regular Iron Rangers and J.Crew's version. In any event, the regular Iron Ranger Hawthorne's are 30% off at the store if anyone's interested.

-Jake

High Iron

Hey Jake,

Sorry about the price, looked at so many in the basement my wires got crossed. The boxes did have the Red Wing Hawthorne label on them with the J Crew stamp. The store clerk that was helping us referred to them as Iron Rangers and I when I compared them to the ones I purchased couldn't tell a difference but if there was it may have been minimal. They are good looking boots. I had originally wanted the 8111 but when I saw the Hawthorn I fell in love with them, but they didn't have them in my size. Great boots for one third the price. If anyone has been looking at these now is the time to get a great deal.

Jake431

What was the difference in quality, do you think? Did the sales person say anything about why they were so cheap?

-Jake

High Iron

They are discontinuing that model. When I looked at them I had the 8111 and the Hawthorn/J Crew side by side, no difference that I could tell. Also looked at the J Crew site today and they are selling darker roughout boot that is listed as the Iron Ranger. I think Red Wing gives footwear different names or model numbers, possibly, for inventory purposes. The $90.00 boot only comes in regular width which is why I had to go with the others. I think if you were to get a pair you'd be pretty happy with them.

Jake431

I called and talked to a more knowledgeable person at the store than the person I did yesterday. Turns out they are factory seconds. However, nothing structurally wrong, so I pulled the trigger. There were two pairs in my size, so she said she'd take the best left and best right from each pair, and put them together for me. I should get them next week; they ship tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up, High Iron!

PADDY_M

Re: RED WING

Excuse me if you've already seen these photos on the Work Boots' thread on TFL, but having read this one on VLJ I felt it was worthwhile a few years' down the road to sing the praises of my RW-GT's (Gentleman Traveller model). These are the dark cherry which have actually lightened with wear and tear and scuffing..etc.
For those who have said, "Oh I don't like a boot that isn't lined..." well actually these are partially lined with a substantial glove leather where it matters, ie: main toe/foot area and the sides at the back, otherwise you don't need it to be honest. I'm a boot guy anyway, so the breaking in process seemed pretty straight-forward (no blistering). I did put a thin Sorbonthene (which I always used in my military boots and swear by them) insole, which gives an extra level of cushioning (well, they aren't cushioned otherwise!). I love them, and at a fraction of the price of Whites (which mind you, if I could afford would love to give a go), are good bang-for-buck (just hunt around as there are deals out there in internet land!).

Piece of advice: lose the laces they give you! I've since popped leather ones on and they look great!!

Redwings003.jpg

Redwings002.jpg

Redwings001.jpg

High Iron

Good deal Jake, I really think you're going to like the boots especially for the money.

Thanks for the review Paddy. I love a good broken-in pair of boots. Those look real comfy.