• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Putting squardron patches on your flight jacket

1911A1US

I was wondering the concensus of folks that put squadron patches on their jackets,if a relative or you had been in a specific unit I guess that might work.It just seems to draw attention to the wearer of the jacket,ie what are you reverting back to your childhood or something what do you think you are a f`n pilot.I had a Roughwear (repo) that had my relatives 359th fighter squadron patch sewn on and got to much flack about it.I sold it. I have another A2 now and I guess I will leave it alone.............

TankBuster

I've never recieved any negative comments about my Goodwear I had patched
with 95th FS and 15th AAF patches. I guess it depends where you're from, and
when you wear it.

Vcruiser

Hell..I was never even a pilot...never issued any kind of flight jacket...especially a WW2 A2. However..I might wear one,or a copy of one..simply because I like the style. I might even wear a patch to honor a time in history..or the men,squadron that went before me. Or I might just like the patch. I've "earned" alot of things in life...and alot I haven't. But you may be right about childhood. In some ways,tho...I earned 2nd childhood that I purposely entered into several years ago. It may not be politically correct behavior or sensative enough to satisfy everyone's acceptance...but my lifestyle and decisions,more than likely, have always pissed someone off somewhere somehow many times. If a concerned citizen would stop me... questioning my reasoning for wearing even a Nam patch...more than likely I politely wouldn't care to give any explanation or attempt to gain approval. Now a WW2 vet might be a different story simply because I would want to take time to give them my reasoning.
However..the average Joe blow..can usually just go blow!
...but that's just me.
Van

jacketimp

1911A1US said:
I was wondering the concensus of folks that put squadron patches on their jackets,if a relative or you had been in a specific unit I guess that might work.It just seems to draw attention to the wearer of the jacket,ie what are you reverting back to your childhood or something what do you think you are a f`n pilot.I had a Roughwear (repo) that had my relatives 359th fighter squadron patch sewn on and got to much flack about it.I sold it. I have another A2 now and I guess I will leave it alone.............

it's your jacket...your call..your decision.

more importantly is how you feel, not what others think how you should feel.

Atticus

I guess this topic has been discussed about as much as anything here on VLJ. There are generally a great many opinions about the subject and here's mine:

I like to patch nylon jackets---but only nylon. I never wear rank insigna, but I like squadron and wing patches on MA-1s and L-2Bs. Also, I generally apply an empty, plastic, name-tag holder to the jacket's left chest for balance. I think unpatched nylon jackets can look skinhead or gangsta. I also think that nylon jackets without patches lack personality and character.

On the other hand, I seldom patch leather jackets. I think that leather jackets have tons of character with or without patches. The few times that I have patched a leather jacket has been to cover particularly nasty stitch marks or other damage on the jacket's shell. Except for that, I leave them alone.

Just my two cents.

AF

Roughwear

Most people have no idea about a squadron patch worn on an A2 jacket. I have a rather nice original CBI hump patch of a naked lady, which I shall wear at an air show this year. It will be interesting to see if anyone notices it! I can see nothing wrong with adding a patch to a repro jacket. I have several originals with surviving rank insignia, which I wear. I would not remove the insignia as its part of the jacket.

MikeyB-17

I've got the 524th BS, 385th BG patch on my A-2 (Bugs Bunny on a bomb). Never got anything but compliments-no I don't think I'm a f'n pilot, but I like it, it's my jacket and it's my tribute to the boys who put their necks on the line to come over here, far from home, and fight the Nazis. Many of whom never went home.

fishmeok

I patched up my B-10 as a replica of one I found on line- it has my uncle's unit patch and a CBI and 10th AF patch. Never had anyone look at me twice. But I'm kind of oblivious most of the time. (that's an easy one for Clark)

As for legitimacy- it's my uncle's unit, I used to work on airplanes, and I really don't care what anybody else thinks- I'm proud to be able to wear some of my family's history. I don't see a problem.
Cheers
Mark

IMG_1504.jpg

A

Anonymous

I have way more patches than jackets and I continually make more of the ones I like with a view to having them sewn on some of my A-2s .I guess that the patches are good enough to use but I find it hard to actually have it done .My tastes have changed and not through people making comments or the fear devaluing the jacket or making it less saleable .I do however have one Good Wear which is fully patched up with the 44th bg and 8th & AAf shoulder roundels which are all leather made by me .I have had very positive comment made by younger people ,like the patches for eg .I know in New York you get to see fashion and styles in all tastes and designs and for the most part nobody knows what the jacket is or the patches represent .I did however wear my patched jacket to a customers house ,he is a WW2 vet 8th Af machine gunner on B17s and is a very famous person in the acting world and was best friends to George C Scott .The question was brought up by me were you in the war and he told me yes and what he did but followed that with thats not a part of my life I like to talk about ,but the day I wore the jacket to his house he stared at it for a while but made no comments .He certainly knew what it was ,the only thing he ever told me about his service life was I was a machine gunner and I did not like it because the Germans always went after us first .I have been working for him on contractor basis every 2 weeks for the last 10 years .The bottom line on the patch issue for me is the USAAF no longer exists as a branch of the military so the patched jacket can only be viewed as a testament of honour and bravery of the men who served .Your personal interest in the men units squadrons and such should be taken as a compliment to show that the USAAF fighting men are not forgotten .Rank is for original A-2s ,painted backs are for reenactors .Its down to you what you do with your jacket and how its displayed ,I just airing my personal opinion from where I am on this issue .

Rgds Jeff

RudyN

I don't have one on my A2. However, the only reason I don't is because I don't have the information yet as to which unit my Uncle flew with during WWII. He was an 8th AF B-17 pilot and made it home.

usafwso

NEVER! NEVER!! NEVER!!! Would I put any sort of rank insignia or patches on jackets that I wear out. To me it is just too "has been or wannabe". For me, it is in poor taste. Most people who would see the jacket might mistake it for one of those fashion patched flight jackets and others might just get the wrong impression.

I wore the real thing for many years and am very happy to leave the patches at home.

Roughwear

usafwso said:
NEVER! NEVER!! NEVER!!! Would I put any sort of rank insignia or patches on jackets that I wear out. To me it is just too "has been or wannabe". For me, it is in poor taste. Most people who would see the jacket might mistake it for one of those fashion patched flight jackets and others might just get the wrong impression.

I wore the real thing for many years and am very happy to leave the patches at home.

The great thing about this forum is that there are always going to be differing opinions. I can see your point, but I would not damage an original A2 by removing the rank insignia or the patch as they are integral to the jacket and I would have no worries about wearing it from time to time. However I would probably not put rank insignia on a repro to wear, although installing a squadron patch is fine IMO.

watchmanjimg

For me it's purely a matter of opinion. I don't think anyone here would wear a patched jacket with anything but respect for what it signifies, which in my view eliminates any concern about whether rank, et cetera was "earned." There's always a possibility that someone will be offended by the wearing of original insignia, but it seems far more likely that veterans who see this will appreciate being remembered. That has been my experience in reenacting events and other situations where original uniforms were worn in the presence of actual vets.

That said, my own preference is much the same as that of Atticus. I love patched nylon, and some of my jackets show clear evidence of having been patched sometime ago. I enjoy restoring them as closely as possible to their original state, or in some cases patching them in honor of a particular unit or individual. There are also some cases where it's necessary to cover old stitch holes or Velcro. As far as wearing, I wouldn't personally feel comfortable with rank or wings but I have ordered some leather nameplates that simply bear my name. Here's one attached to my beloved mint Aussie-spec CWU-36:

NameplatesEtc003.jpg

I also have no problem wearing jackets with my name, US Army tape, and my own unit patch, as here:

NameplatesEtc004.jpg

I look forward to attaching MASH badge holders to some of my early sage nylon jackets for use with the appropriate 2x3 nameplates without Velcro. Like the one shown above, these will not have wings or rank.

usafwso

Let me clarify: In my past comment, wearing a patched jacket is something I would never do. If someone else wants to wear them it is certainly fine with me.

tgd31968

usafwso said:

I have a similar view. I don't care what others do, but I wouldn't wear anything I have not earned myself. Rank however is a different matter. Wearing rank insignia is a no-no. I am not sure that it violates any US law, but it certainly has a different significance then a WWII squadron patch.
I had buddy give me a bunch of his old airforce BDU's and I removed his sgt. stripes and his senior crew chief badges before I would wear them.

Of course one should not remove original rank insignia from an original jacket, but in my book one shouldn't wear it out unless part of an enactment.
my opinion.

usafwso

I hope no one was given the impression that one should remove rank insignia, patches and whatnot from vintage jackets. NO WAY! What I am saying is that I would never wear one of my old flight jackets with my old squadron patches and rank insignia. Something like that is simply not done. Now, for those who deal in reenactments, or other historical situations by all means do and if you have a classic flight jacket that happens to have patches on, by all means do.

Living where I do, Las Vegas; as much as I tried, avoiding flyers from Nellis is pretty much impossible. During our very short winters, I do wear many of my flight jackets, sans patches and little tick marks where my rank insignia used to be. That in itself should send a subtle message to those in the know that I'm wearing one of my old jackets. Others, well frankly its beyond what is on their mind, why look at my jacket when there is a slot machine in the supermarket.

The only rank I wear these days on my shoulders are those silly four little stripes (see avatar) and I can tell you now many times I've been saluted by those in the military who must for a flash think I am a Navy Captain instead of a corporate aircraft Captain.

It is unfortunate with all the patched and ranked jackets in my collection that do nothing more live, stored in my closet. Oh well, beats getting coffee splashed over them with an exploding Starbucks coffee cup. :arrow:

Andrew

I've never patched a jacket, but how about this?

Some will know last year I was honoured to have a Vet from the 15thAF, a ball turret gunner paint a copy of the artwork on the back of his own flight jacket on my GW United. It was such a great opportunity that I didn't really consider what impact it would have on me wearing it again, and as it turns out I haven't worn it since!

In 2007 Christos lugged it along to the Gathering of the Mustangs and Legends and had it signed by about 17 other vets, five of them Red Tails. I have also had it signed here by 5 RAAF Bomber guys, one the CO of 100 Sqn. So I imagine it's a bit like what happens when someone gets their first tatoo- they are on a slippery slope to getting more.

At the same time the Vet did the back art he also did me a copy of his Sqn patch on some grainy 'roo hide, and as i'm always wary of putting stitch holes in a jacket and i'm not a total fan of this particular patch design I have only framed it instead of putting it on the jacket. One positive is that it's not a stand out in your face design so it might be ok.

In all there's a bit of a MTO theme going on with it now.

I'm now considering putting them together and i'd like to hear opinions.

IMG_0543.jpg

IMG_0539.jpg

RIMG0382-1.jpg

TankBuster

Put the patch on it. It's a great tribute to the vet you have gotten
to know. Didn't he also do the patches and artwork for the squadron
during the war?? Plus it's already got the back artwork!

Deleted