• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original B-1 and B-2 jackets !

John Lever

If you want one then just tell me !!
If we have several orders then the price could even be less than £500.
A French seam is the same as that found on the back of an A-2 collar. Apparently it requires a particular type of post sewing machine or something. If you look at JC's thumbnail details, the seams are of this type, there are no folded or rolled seams.
The machinists up at Aero are almost mythically skilled at sewing HH, I can't imagine how they work with such materials.
David,
The seam is in the outer HH shell. The liner is sheepskin.
Will is very keen to get the project moving, they are just very, very busy.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
John Lever said:
David,

Oh yeah ... I had in mind that Aero were making you some sort of of Navy shearling jacket.

Sometimes I forget which thread I'm reading.

Tokyo Jones

John Lever said:
If you want one then just tell me !!
If we have several orders then the price could even be less than £500.
A French seam is the same as that found on the back of an A-2 collar. Apparently it requires a particular type of post sewing machine or something. If you look at JC's thumbnail details, the seams are of this type, there are no folded or rolled seams.
The machinists up at Aero are almost mythically skilled at sewing HH, I can't imagine how they work with such materials.
David,
Will is very keen to get the project moving, they are just very, very busy.

John, I'd quite like to know the details (what kind of leather, shearling, etc.) of that coat, if you wouldn't mind. PM me if you like, or reply here. At that price point, having it and the 1729 A-2 I'm wanting is all too "reasonable..."

John Lever

Ended at just below £800 check out the sellers activity in the last 30 days -

30-Day Summary
Total bids: 3151
Items bid on: 2854
Bid activity (%) with this seller: 0%
Bid retractions: 0
Bid retractions (6 months): 1

If that's not a professional ....

fishmeok

deeb7 said:
fishmeok said:
Do you have a pic of the French seam? I'm not visualizing it- seems too hard to do with leather...

This page has a picture, Mark ...

http://www.bysonleather.co.uk/BYSON%20L ... athers.htm

Good luck trying that in shearling. :?

Thanks Dave- I thought that's what John meant, but that would be very difficult to do unless you had some VERY thin horse to work with. I'd also want a double-needle industrial. MAN those B-1/B-2's would be a lot of work to make. An A-2 or B-3 is simple in comparison. Out of my league, anyway (for the time being :D)
Cheers
Mark

asiamiles

John Lever said:
Ended at just below £800

Did you bid, John? I was third highest. It ended in the middle of the night here, so no way could I get into a bidding war. I'd have bid considerably higher (probably twice as much) if the jacket had not had the hole in the sleeve...that was a major minus for me.

I'll probably end up getting an Aero repro along with yourself...keep me updated on it.

Stony

I found this B-1 at a militaria show, and on a phone call advice from JC, purchased it for him. It's a nice jacket and rare to boot. Fortunately the person selling it at the show had no idea what they had.

John Lever

asiamiles said:
John Lever said:
Ended at just below £800

Did you bid, John? I was third highest. It ended in the middle of the night here, so no way could I get into a bidding war. I'd have bid considerably higher (probably twice as much) if the jacket had not had the hole in the sleeve...that was a major minus for me.

I'll probably end up getting an Aero repro along with yourself...keep me updated on it.
Miles,
What happened to the one at auction in Japan ?
I was very tempted to bid to ' keep it in the family' so to speak. Now I think it's disappeared forever.
Will had promised me the jacket this Autumn, but workload has pushed it back. I think only the B-1 had the French seams. The B-2 at auction has the simple folded ones.

asiamiles

John Lever said:
What happened to the one at auction in Japan ?
I was very tempted to bid to ' keep it in the family' so to speak. Now I think it's disappeared forever.

Remember it had been tampered with, so was of less value than John's that he just sold...and asking price was 150,000 yen. I don't know if it ever sold...I doubt it.

John Lever

Look at the activity of the highest bider so far -

30-Day Summary
Total bids: 128
Items bid on: 42
Bid activity (%) with this seller: 3%
Bid retractions (6 months): 12

Is it another shop or online store ?

Roughwear

John Lever said:

30-Day Summary

NO. Its the seller's brother. ;)

John Lever

Roughwear said:
John Lever said:

30-Day Summary

NO. Its the seller's brother. ;)
??

Roughwear

Bidding up the price John! Well perhaps not. There are some desperate people out there eagre to own this rare beast. ;)