• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nice period photos (all jackets except A-2's)

Shanghai-Mayne

IMG_9173.jpeg

Shanghai-Mayne

I'd guess this is a picture of The West giving up the ghost in Niger- right?
At least, French military prevented ISIS or their buddies spread all over Africa, and under very limit budget, their one year’s budget equals to what US Africa Command spent in a week or two.

B-Man2

The blonde hair guy standing in the top photo is what some of us here would consider a jacket having a nice drape to it. When really the jacket is just over sized on the guy. Look where the shoulder seam fit him, they’re off his shoulders. Point being that we all have a tendency to like our jacket to fit trimly, when in fact a little looser fit is really a good thing. You can layer under it for a trim fit or short sleeve it for a little bit of a draping look.

Chandler

Erik Shilling is in the A-2 in the color photo. JC has told me he believes it to be an Aero* (second incarnation of the company? I'll have to check my notes).

Shilling is one of the few AAC pilots to bring his A-2 to the AVG (or wear it, at least). At one time I wrote up a list of every pilot I could find in a picture wearing an A-2 while in the AVG (not the 23rd FG) -- the list wasn't long.

For my own aesthetic, I can't agree with Shilling's A-2 fit -- it's more baggy than I prefer in the jacket, though I'm not one who thinks it should fit like a shirt. Somewhere in between.

*37 or 38 Aero.

Last edited:

B-Man2

Erik Shilling is in the A-2 in the color photo. JC has told me he believes it to be an Aero (second incarnation of the company? I'll have to check my notes).

Shilling is one of the few AAC pilots to bring his A-2 to the AVG. At one time I wrote up a list of every pilot I could find in a picture wearing an A-2 while in the AVG (not the 23rd FG) -- the list wasn't long.

For my own aesthetic, I can't agree with Shilling's A-2 fit -- it's more baggy than I prefer in the jacket, though I'm not one who thinks it should fit like a shirt. Somewhere in between.
You’re right his jacket is baggy. So my contention has always been that the reason the guys in Europe and colder climates have trim fitting A2’s is that they wear a number of layers under it to keep warm. Remember the A2 was originally issued as a summer flight jacket. If they wear those same jackets without the layering, their jackets would look loose on them as well .

Chandler

If they wear those same jackets without the layering, their jackets would look loose on them as well .
But there are plenty of pics of men wearing an A-2 just over a uniform shirt and the jacket doesn't look baggy (or trim).

Of course, the main thing to keep in mind is that there are also plenty of pics showing 4 or 5 guys in A-2s and they all fit differently!

It's really all a matter of your own aesthetic preference.

B-Man2

But there are plenty of pics of men wearing an A-2 just over a uniform shirt and the jacket doesn't look baggy (or trim).

Of course, the main thing to keep in mind is that there are also plenty of pics showing 4 or 5 guys in A-2s and they all fit differently!

It's really all a matter of your own aesthetic preference.
I’m guessing this guy on the right didn’t didn’t have much of a choice when it came to aesthetic preference… :D
(Doolittle Raiders)
IMG_2142.jpeg

Chandler

I’m guessing this guy on the right didn’t didn’t have much of a choice when it came to aesthetic preference… :D
(Doolittle Raiders)
View attachment 134033
We've discussed him previously (sorry I never remember his name) -- if you read 30 Seconds Over Tokyo they talk about him being a giant of a man -- very atypical compared to most air crew.

I'm sure they gave him the largest size they had in stock.

Members online

Latest posts