• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New jacket from AVI LEATHER: A-2A

Greg Gale

It may not be for jacket purists, but this is really the 'best of' all flying jackets, a great idea. This is exactly how I would design my ideal flying jacket.

I have never tried one, but maybe the biswing back would allow for a slimmer fit too? I always thought A-2 needed to be worn much baggier than G-1s because of the single-piece back and the way it restricts movement.

ZuZu

I actually think this a great idea too. It may not please some of the 25+ members here who are jacket purists but it will definitely sell to the "normal" people out there who want a practical jacket. At your price point getting original zippers and trying to make a "perfect" repro might be a stretch. The only critique I have of the jacket is the goofy shoulder pleats. Maybe drop them or in keeping with the practicality theme just make regular bi-swing. Dropping them altogether would look cleaner IMO.

Juanito

Hi Morten
Thanks for letting us have the opportunity to comment on your newest design of the A2’A jacket . I think that for the most part, many of us here are A2 jacket “Purists”. As such we tend to admire the A2 jacket from a historical perspective and we look for the most accurate and authentic WWII repros that are currently available. So for me , a “Hybrid” A2 jacket would not be of much interest. In the past, I did purchase your first generation A2 Russett Bronco jacket in goatskin. I liked the jacket, but eventually sold it as it was lacking some of the finer details of a true WWII military issued Bronco A2. I would respectfully suggest that if you’re looking to increase sales, that you consider refining your current offerings, such as your A2 and M-422a jackets, in an effort to produce as accurate as possible repros of those jackets.
I sincerely say this with the utmost respect as I really don’t think this A2A will be a big seller for you .
Regards
B-Man2
I could not have said it better. The market is and always has been flooded with jackets that are similar to the originals they try to emulate or improve. Good lord, there's Members Only, Schott, Wilson Leather, and a million others.

As Burt said, if you want to increase sales and find a place in the market (which I would agruably say you already have with reasonable accurate contracts and a practically free price for what you are getting), refine the jackets you have to be more accurate, and perhaps branch out to others such as "The Fonz" jacket that was actually offered by Cooper at one time, or a better copy of your Indiana Jones "Crusdaer" jacket. The thing that has always baffled me is that the jacket are close, but off the mark in the simplest and easy to fix details (the width of the top panel of the Crusader jacket for example). How hard would it be to make the panel taperd like the original and opposed to nearly square?

Given that the new and last Raider's movie is coming out shortly, I would guess the demand would be substantial.

Please don't get me wrong--I am a past Five Star customer and have zero issues with the quality of the Doniger A-2 I purchased, but you can have good sewing and materials, cut to a very sub par pattern or design. Tighten up some to the details on the jackets and I would likely be heavy, repeat customer.

Smithy

If you're going to go for a fictional jacket, go the whole hog and put a sheepskin or mouton collar on it. That way it's pretty much a ringer for lots of civvy 40s/50s "flying" jackets and yet it won't eat into sales of your ANJ-3.

Just my 3 rupees Morten.

mortene

I already have one -- my "Ersatz" AN-J-3 I had Flight Suits make for me some years back.

And I see AVI already has an AN, so doesn't that make this new jacket somewhat redundant?

I feel the same way regarding being an A-2 purist, but I do see the potential for this as a civilian style 'bomber' jacket.

It might appeal more to the fashion market or person looking for practicality/ versatility over WW2 authenticity... This is arguably more practical/ comfortable than the classic A-2, with the bi-swing back and internal pocket.
I'd say if its has black leather, it should maybe have black knit parts, or have the option choose the leather and knits..
Also the ANJ-3 rayon lining... More comfy.

Maybe, this is too close to the classic A-2 in design. I wonder if it would be better to have side hand warmer pockets and lose the epaulets, more like those 1950's civilian post-war flight jackets...
Have the option to choose leather and knits. Brown rayon lining.... Also, Id angle the inside pocket, like the G-1/ M-422a
I would be interested on something like this...
View attachment 87683

Aerialstar a few years back did one and it looked great! I think Nick might have bought one?
Classy civilian style flight jacket. And the guys who like black can get it in black...
View attachment 87685
Hi Brett. Thank you so much for your feedback. I think you are right. Maybe it looks like an A2 "too much". Maybe I should add the side hand warmer pockets and lose the epaulets.

mortene

It may not be for jacket purists, but this is really the 'best of' all flying jackets, a great idea. This is exactly how I would design my ideal flying jacket.

I have never tried one, but maybe the biswing back would allow for a slimmer fit too? I always thought A-2 needed to be worn much baggier than G-1s because of the single-piece back and the way it restricts movement.
Hi Greg. Im glad you like it. Yes, i think you will be able to have a slimmer fit in this style.

Last edited:

mortene

I actually think this a great idea too. It may not please some of the 25+ members here who are jacket purists but it will definitely sell to the "normal" people out there who want a practical jacket. At your price point getting original zippers and trying to make a "perfect" repro might be a stretch. The only critique I have of the jacket is the goofy shoulder pleats. Maybe drop them or in keeping with the practicality theme just make regular bi-swing. Dropping them altogether would look cleaner IMO.
Thank you very much for the feedback. I think its a good idea to remove the epaulettes for a more clean look.

Brettafett

The 'Fonz' style jacket, could easily be offered with or without a mouton collar also.
Not one of those nasty detachable versions, but as an option at check out.

I love the idea of side hand warmer pockets. 'Im using my ELC B-15 a lot recently and the had warmer pockets are fantastic!
Bomber.png

I agree about the bi-swing back pleats. Would be nicer if they were closer to the shoulders, more subtle,
but as long as they are functional and add to the comfort aspect, being about to lift arms without that A-2 'pull'.
ANJ-3.VII.JPG
Screenshot 2022-12-04 at 09.37.00.png

I think theres room for this along with the more 'authentic' ANJ-3. They are different enough.

Last edited:

Harris_HTM

The 'Fonz' style jacket, could easily be offered with or without a mouton collar also.

I love the idea of hand warmer pockets.

I think theres room for this along with the more 'authentic' ANJ-3. They are different enough.
Or since Morten goes for an all purpose A2 "inspired" jacket: maybe cargo pockets as the original ones with side entries as handwarmers, the best of both worlds.

mortene

I love the idea of hand warmer pockets.

Maybe the Fonzie jacket can be offered as another jacket? And then try to recreate this style as close as possible.
Skærmbillede 2022-12-04 kl. 10.37.19.png

mortene

Maybe a solution could be:

1. The A-2A jacket. This jacket has the A2 look but with some updates. Cargo pockets as the original ones with side entries as hand warmers. Inside pocket. Bi-swing back. Brown rayon lining. This jacket is for the customers who would like a more practical A2 jacket (still with the A2 look) and not the A2 purists.

2. The 'Fonz' style jacket. This jacket will be similar with the original Fonzie-style Jacket.

MikeyB-17

Bi-swing, cargo pockets, hand warmers, it all comes very close to Schott’s famous ‘flight jacket’, which I’m sure must be one of their best sellers, and which they still make. Many of us started off with one of these, and I’m always seeing them second hand. Their snap-down epaulettes are a bit crap (IMHO), but proper A-2 style ones might work. Definitely avoid the detachable fur collar too. Once again, we need to remember that nutters like us who give a monkey’s about bang-on historical accuracy are actually few and far between, whereas normal folk who like the idea of a flight-style jacket could well be plentiful.

mortene

Bi-swing, cargo pockets, hand warmers, it all comes very close to Schott’s famous ‘flight jacket’, which I’m sure must be one of their best sellers, and which they still make. Many of us started off with one of these, and I’m always seeing them second hand. Their snap-down epaulettes are a bit crap (IMHO), but proper A-2 style ones might work. Definitely avoid the detachable fur collar too. Once again, we need to remember that nutters like us who give a monkey’s about bang-on historical accuracy are actually few and far between, whereas normal folk who like the idea of a flight-style jacket could well be plentiful.
Thats a very good point. Many customers are not concerned about the historical accuracy.

Southoftheborder

Yes, that would be a good idea to keep the A2 look. Do you mean pockets like these? I actually often have customers asking for these pockets.
View attachment 87717

That kind of side pocket looks terrible because it sticks out at the sides when the jacket is done up and makes you look pregnant. The forties A2 inspired jackets often made by the same companies who had wartime A2 contracts would be the ones to copy IMO.

Like the way they often did their pockets like this, as seen on an Aero 1950's Flight Jacket which is based on those post war ones. This one has a mouton collar but that wasn't always the case.

Without the epaulets as well.
B68393FE-64BF-491E-B973-34FF38F934B4.jpg

Brettafett

That makes ssense.
Two jackets.

Id be keen to see a seal goat Fonz. subtle bi-swing back, single back panel, no epaulets, large slit hand warmer pockets, and inside pocket like the G-1
The A-2A with the cargo pockets and side entry does make practical sense for a civilian market, but I loathe the concept myself lol

I also agree with the comments to refine patterns and detailing.
Theres always room to improve what you have, without doing anything other than inspecting the detailing and cross-checking these with your originals. Updating where necessary.

Updating hardware is a plus if possible without adding costs, I wouldn't personally do anything that would make make the jackets more expensive.
To me, a relatively decent original-maker repro at these prices is what's most appealing.

Same can be said about zippers and hardware... I think most outside these forums would prefer an honest decent enough accurate repro at a lower price point, than pay another $100 to get a top end repro zip.
Do that, then you should also update the throat hooks, studs, buttons, etc...
I think that what's the high end makers are for... The best of the best of everything, top accuracy, top detailing, top hardware and top dollar.

mortene

That kind of side pocket looks terrible because it sticks out at the sides when the jacket is done up and makes you look pregnant. The forties A2 inspired jackets often made by the same companies who had wartime A2 contracts would be the ones to copy IMO.

Like the way they often did their pockets like this, as seen on an Aero 1950's Flight Jacket which is based on those post war ones. This one has a mouton collar but that wasn't always the case.

Without the epaulets as well.
View attachment 87729
Thats very important feedback. I dont want any guys to look pregnant! :)

What about this design for the hand warmer?

Skærmbillede 2022-12-04 kl. 14.45.46.png