• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New jacket from AVI LEATHER: A-2A

mortene

Hi,

Morten from AVI LEATHER here. We are currently working on a new jacket called A-2A. The concept of this jacket is how we would design the A2. The jacket is based on the A2 Bronco pattern but with some “updates”. The jacket is made with a bi-swing back for better movement, we have added an inside pocket and its made in black horsehide with a mid brown thread contrast. Would you change or add anything to this design? :)

WhatsApp Image 2022-11-18 at 16.17.38.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-11-18 at 16.17.40.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-11-18 at 16.17.40 (1).jpeg

B-Man2

Hi Morten
Thanks for letting us have the opportunity to comment on your newest design of the A2’A jacket . I think that for the most part, many of us here are A2 jacket “Purists”. As such we tend to admire the A2 jacket from a historical perspective and we look for the most accurate and authentic WWII repros that are currently available. So for me , a “Hybrid” A2 jacket would not be of much interest. In the past, I did purchase your first generation A2 Russett Bronco jacket in goatskin. I liked the jacket, but eventually sold it as it was lacking some of the finer details of a true WWII military issued Bronco A2. I would respectfully suggest that if you’re looking to increase sales, that you consider refining your current offerings, such as your A2 and M-422a jackets, in an effort to produce as accurate as possible repros of those jackets.
I sincerely say this with the utmost respect as I really don’t think this A2A will be a big seller for you .
Regards
B-Man2

mulceber

Yeah, I have mixed feelings about this: as a project, I think it's neat, and it's a nice jacket design.

That said, would I buy one? Nope.

I definitely fall into the purist category Burt mentioned. I think if you're looking for a way forward, the way to proceed is either by refining the contracts you already have (maybe an option for upgraded hardware, like the fancy M-42 Talon repros that the top-tier makers use, if you can source them). Alternately, maybe add another A-2 contract to your line-up. Take my opinion for however much you think it's worth, but I think there would be more of a market for that.

jss0930

Hi,

Morten from AVI LEATHER here. We are currently working on a new jacket called A-2A. The concept of this jacket is how we would design the A2. The jacket is based on the A2 Bronco pattern but with some “updates”. The jacket is made with a bi-swing back for better movement, we have added an inside pocket and its made in black horsehide with a mid brown thread contrast. Would you change or add anything to this design? :)

View attachment 87635
View attachment 87637
View attachment 87639

I would wear this. Don’t care that much about authenticity, love the bi-swing back on my M-422A from y’all but have been looking for a similar jacket without a fur collar as the fur is very nice but can be hot. Is there a closure on the inside pocket?

mortene

Hi Morten
Thanks for letting us have the opportunity to comment on your newest design of the A2’A jacket . I think that for the most part, many of us here are A2 jacket “Purists”. As such we tend to admire the A2 jacket from a historical perspective and we look for the most accurate and authentic WWII repros that are currently available. So for me , a “Hybrid” A2 jacket would not be of much interest. In the past, I did purchase your first generation A2 Russett Bronco jacket in goatskin. I liked the jacket, but eventually sold it as it was lacking some of the finer details of a true WWII military issued Bronco A2. I would respectfully suggest that if you’re looking to increase sales, that you consider refining your current offerings, such as your A2 and M-422a jackets, in an effort to produce as accurate as possible repros of those jackets.
I sincerely say this with the utmost respect as I really don’t think this A2A will be a big seller for you .
Regards
B-Man2
Thank you very much for your feedback.

mortene

Yeah, I have mixed feelings about this: as a project, I think it's neat, and it's a nice jacket design.

That said, would I buy one? Nope.

I definitely fall into the purist category Burt mentioned. I think if you're looking for a way forward, the way to proceed is either by refining the contracts you already have (maybe an option for upgraded hardware, like the fancy M-42 Talon repros that the top-tier makers use, if you can source them). Alternately, maybe add another A-2 contract to your line-up. Take my opinion for however much you think it's worth, but I think there would be more of a market for that.
Thank you very much for your feedback. I will investigate if we can have our Talon zippers upgraded. What do you think about this one? https://www.mash-japan.co.jp/oversea/cgi-bin/prd-eng.cgi?itemno=95-01-4205

mortene

I would wear this. Don’t care that much about authenticity, love the bi-swing back on my M-422A from y’all but have been looking for a similar jacket without a fur collar as the fur is very nice but can be hot. Is there a closure on the inside pocket?
Thanks. At the moment we do not have a closure on the inside pocket. But i think its a good idea to add one. How would you prefer to have the closure? Maybe you can find a picture?

I recommend that you have a look at our anj-3 https://www.avileather.com/product/anj3-flight-jacket/ which has the bi swing without fur collar.

mulceber

Yeah, that one's perfect. The only trouble is, it's an original (I don't think MASH makes repros zippers) and so the supply is limited. I'm not sure who makes the first-rate repros, and I gather the big makers aren't all that keen on sharing. I've never been able to discover who makes them, at any rate. :(

Silver Surfer

Purists? More like anal addicts, imo. Yes, I agree with some of the above regarding upgrading your current line, and perhaps adding other goatskin a-2s to your line up. If your intent is to broaden your customer base, the jacket that you are proposing may very well have a market for those that do not care about a-2 authenticity. There are many, many guys who only want the “look”, wear black, and would appreciate the bi-swing back.

mortene

Purists? More like anal addicts, imo. Yes, I agree with some of the above regarding upgrading your current line, and perhaps adding other goatskin a-2s to your line up. If your intent is to broaden your customer base, the jacket that you are proposing may very well have a market for those that do not care about a-2 authenticity. There are many, many guys who only want the “look”, wear black, and would appreciate the bi-swing back.
Thanks. I know this jacket not is for the A2 jacket “Purists”. But more the guys who like the A2 look.

mortene

It’d be nice to see you guys make cossack style aviator jackets (no windflap, knits/waistband etc)
Have you seen our "Classic jackets"? :)

Brettafett

I feel the same way regarding being an A-2 purist, but I do see the potential for this as a civilian style 'bomber' jacket.

It might appeal more to the fashion market or person looking for practicality/ versatility over WW2 authenticity... This is arguably more practical/ comfortable than the classic A-2, with the bi-swing back and internal pocket.
I'd say if its has black leather, it should maybe have black knit parts, or have the option choose the leather and knits..
Also the ANJ-3 rayon lining... More comfy.

Maybe, this is too close to the classic A-2 in design. I wonder if it would be better to have side hand warmer pockets and lose the epaulets, more like those 1950's civilian post-war flight jackets...
Have the option to choose leather and knits. Brown rayon lining.... Also, Id angle the inside pocket, like the G-1/ M-422a
I would be interested on something like this...
images.jpeg

Aerialstar a few years back did one and it looked great! I think Nick might have bought one?
Classy civilian style flight jacket. And the guys who like black can get it in black...
7303.png

Chandler

I feel the same way regarding being an A-2 purist, but I do see the potential for this as a civilian style 'bomber' jacket.

It might appeal more to the fashion market or person looking for practicality/ versatility over WW2 authenticity... This is arguably more practical/ comfortable than the classic A-2, with the bi-swing back and internal pocket.
I'd say if its has black leather, it should maybe have black knit parts, or have the option choose the leather and knits..
Also the ANJ-3 rayon lining... More comfy.

Maybe, this is too close to the classic A-2 in design. I wonder if it would be better to have side hand warmer pockets and lose the epaulets, more like those 1950's civilian post-war flight jackets...
Have the option to choose leather and knits. Brown rayon lining.... Also, Id angle the inside pocket, like the G-1/ M-422a
I would be interested on something like this...
View attachment 87683

Aerialstar a few years back did one and it looked great! I think Nick might have bought one?
Classy civilian style flight jacket. And the guys who like black can get it in black...
View attachment 87685
So THAT's where Fonzie got his jacket! ;)