• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NASA G-1s

Chandler

Treetopflyer said:
...we have been able to wear G-1s out in town for years.

I didn't realize that had changed -- it used to be a pretty strict rule.

My little adventure was probably about 6 years ago -- and I'm sure I was probably wearing jeans and hiking boots because that's what I always wore on Fridays, when I would also wear the G-1 -- so I wasn't looking terribly regulation. ;)

(not to mention the G-1 is an early 50s G-1 and looks a little past issue!)

Oddly enough, not many people would know. I have discovered that the leather flight jacket is something that most aviators don’t know much about, other than that it is an issued piece of gear that keeps them warm. I have also known guys that have their fathers G-1s and still wear them in uniform. I also know guys that commercially purchase them and make sure they have the side entry pockets. Because they don’t know that they are not supposed to have side entry pockets.

I have given training to the Junior Officers in the squadrons that I have been in on the history of the leather flight jacket in the Navy, in hopes to heighten their appreciation for it as well as increase their sense of history and pride in the aviation community.

Chandler

Treetopflyer said:
I have given training to the Junior Officers in the squadrons that I have been in on the history of the leather flight jacket in the Navy, in hopes to heighten their appreciation for it as well as increase their sense of history and pride in the aviation community.

Bravo.

Do you get much appreciation or just eye rolls?

I received nothing but positive feedback from them. Most of them like the fact that they are wearing the same jacket, more or less, than the guys that fought in all of the famous air battles we preach about in the Navy. They also like the fact that we have never stopped issuing them out since their introduction to the fleet.

Marv

Treetopflyer said:
I received nothing but positive feedback from them. Most of them like the fact that they are wearing the same jacket, more or less, than the guys that fought in all of the famous air battles we preach about in the Navy. They also like the fact that we have never stopped issuing them out since their introduction to the fleet.

+1 Bravo :)

Chandler

Treetopflyer said:
Most of them like the fact that they are wearing the same jacket, more or less, than the guys that fought in all of the famous air battles we preach about in the Navy.

And bravo to them. Good to hear that elán isn't lost on the new generations.