• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NASA G-1s

herk115

Folks,

Over the years I have seen several NASA photos of astronauts wearing G-1s over their blue flight suits. Sometime in the 1980s the Johnson Space Center Roundup internal newspaper featured a front page photo of an entire class of astronauts all wearing G-1s. Comparatively, I have seen only one photo of an astronaut wearing an A-2 (Mike Fincke wearing what looks like an issue A-2, Cooper or such, obviously from his air force days). Some of the astronauts in G-1s are Navy and could be wearing their G-1s from their navy days, but it seems that astronaut G-1s are devoid of any patches or insignia, and seem to be worn not only by the navy astros, but civilians as well (Marsha Ivins, for example). My question is, do you know if the astronauts are issued a G-1 as a matter of course, or if it's just a fad for astronauts to purchase G-1s for wear, even on NASA business? The absence of A-2s is conspicuous.

Cheers,

Larry

Chandler

My first guess would be that the A-2 has been out of commission for much of the Space Race. If you dig up pictures from flight tests in the late 40s and early 50s you'll see a lot of A-2s, but even then they started to dwindle. Yeager's pictures start with the A-2 then evolve into the nylon jackets that were the more current issue.

As the A-2 was re-intoruduced in the late 20th century, I have the feeling it was worn more for show than practicality. Still too many other issue jackets that probably worked better for space training.

As to seeing the G-1s more, I'd guess the Naval Aviators have a little more attachment to them as trophies and "status" symbols. The A-2 sort of lost that stigma when it wasn't issue for so long.

JMO

watchmanjimg

Chandler said:
My first guess would be that the A-2 has been out of commission for much of the Space Race. If you dig up pictures from flight tests in the late 40s and early 50s you'll see a lot of A-2s, but even then they started to dwindle. Yeager's pictures start with the A-2 then evolve into the nylon jackets that were the more current issue.

As the A-2 was re-intoruduced in the late 20th century, I have the feeling it was worn more for show than practicality. Still too many other issue jackets that probably worked better for space training.

As to seeing the G-1s more, I'd guess the Naval Aviators have a little more attachment to them as trophies and "status" symbols. The A-2 sort of lost that stigma when it wasn't issue for so long.

JMO

This is an excellent analysis. The G-1 would have been well known to astronauts with Navy backgrounds and was the only military leather jacket available to everyone else prior to the A-2's reintroduction.

Chandler

What's funny to think about, and granted -- it's all Hollywood, but every one of the NASA characters in Space Cowboys wears an A-2. This may fall into Herk's other question in this forum, "Which jacket is more cool." We know Hollywood knows cool. ;)

(yes, completely tongue-in-cheek, I own both styles!)

MikeyB-17

In this well-known shot of the Mercury 7, the only leather flight jacket on show is Scott Carpenter's G-1. I've seen pics of astronauts in leather jackets whilst in the military pre-NASA (including one of Pete Conrad on a carrier wearing a G-1, and I've seen Deke Slayton's's WWII A-2 on display at the Astronaut Hall of Fame in Florida), but as has been stated, by the time the Space Programme got well under way, it seems most fliers were wearing nylon.

Mercury7-flash.jpg

Chandler

MikeyB-17 said:

Looks like Carpenter is wearing boondockers too!

And what's Cooper (pretty sure it's Cooper, second from the left) wearing on his feet? They almost look like Danner-style boots.

watchmanjimg

Chandler said:
MikeyB-17 said:

Looks like Carpenter is wearing boondockers too!

And what's Cooper (pretty sure it's Cooper, second from the left) wearing on his feet? They almost look like Danner-style boots.

That's not the first astronaut pic where we've seen those boots. Could also be Chippewas or Red Wings.

oose

here is the whole line up, this the best shot of this iconic photo I've found to date. Got to go I've two more pumpkins to hollow out and its getting dark! :)

All the best
stu

herk115

oose said:
here is the whole line up, this the best shot of this iconic photo I've found to date. Got to go I've two more pumpkins to hollow out and its getting dark! :)

All the best
stu

And for that matter, what's Grissom wearing on his feet?

derleicaman

And for that matter, what's Grissom wearing on his feet?[/quote]

I was thinking the same thing. Grissom's look like astronaut boots. Glenn's look like the feet of the robot in the Day the Earth Stood Still. Proof of alien involvement in our space program! Maybe snagged them from Roswell! Seriously, they almost look like the semi-transparent "rubbers" folks would wear over their street shoes in the 50's.

herk115

Chandler said:

JMO

I'm still not sure why these guys are wearing the G-1s. The A-2 was available in mass numbers from 1988 on, so for most of the shuttle program it, too, could have been worn if desired or allowed. Many of the astronauts wearing G-1s are not naval aviators and some are civilians. Notice that there are no patches or insignia on the jackets. So I was just wondering if anyone knew if NASA actually issues a G-1 or if the astros just have decided on their own to make them an unofficial uniform?

There are a few test pilots out at NASA-Dryden at Edwards that wear A-2s, but these are definitely unofficial, as they are of "Cooper" quality and in one case, was a horrible cowhide "mall" jacket. And they put the 4" NASA "meatball" emblem and small American flag on them.

Chandler

herk115 said:
I'm still not sure why these guys are wearing the G-1s. The A-2 was available in mass numbers from 1988 on, so for most of the shuttle program it, too, could have been worn if desired or allowed.

But see, by '88 when the re-issue came out, the A-2 had lost a lot of its renown. The Air Force used it as a recruiting tool, but I'm not sure it was terribly successful because so many "kids" didn't really see it as "cool." For flying comfort, most pilots were wearing specialized suits and new design jackets. The A-2 had become more fashion statement than practical garment while the G-1 had been in issue all along, to smaller numbers of flyers who perpetuated the symbol.

Many of the astronauts wearing G-1s are not naval aviators and some are civilians.

Are you sure about that? The Navy is pretty particular about who gets a G-1 for flying and where they wear it.* Could these astros be Navy vets who still have their G-1? As far as NASA issuing the G-1, again I point to the Navy's protective ownership of the jacket. And I'm not sure NASA would have chosen sides for some sort of issue jacket -- then again, the G-1 was the one "classic" flight jacket still being issued up to 1988.

Interesting research topic. I hope there's someone with some more insight.

*I used to work near a Naval base and wore my G-1 now and again. I'd go to lunch locally and get some stares from Navy brass! ;)

As for no patches on the jackets, not all aviators patch up their jackets, especially their leather jackets. Navy uniform regs state that a person has the option to place a squadron patch and name tag on the jacket. The norm is a leather name tag with wings, but even that is not always the case. I know several aviators that have no patches on their leather jackets. It also depends on where these people have been stationed and deployed to. I was stationed in Guam and wearing a jacket let alone my G-1 would be unheard of.

As for NASA issuing G-1s, I have never heard of it.

Chandler, the reason you were probably getting stares from Navy personnel is that the G-1 is not supposed to be worn with civilian clothes. If you look military then they might assume that you are and breaking uniform regs and that you should know better.

Chandler

Treetopflyer said:
Chandler, the reason you were probably getting stares from Navy personnel is that the G-1 is not supposed to be worn with civilian clothes. If you look military then they might assume that you are and breaking uniform regs and that you should know better.

Oh, I understand the stares completely! The G-1 is also not to be worn off the flight-line too, or has that reg changed?

And to tell the truth, I was probably being a little provoking at the time -- hoping someone might ask me about the jacket. At a fast look I could be mistaken for in-service, but my goatee would probably give me away on second assessment -- probably why I didn't get approached.

G-1s are allowed off the flight line and out in town now, as are flight suits. That changed as of June or July of this year. The flight suit rules that is, we have been able to wear G-1s out in town for years.