• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My new G1 1963 Foster 7823B

Hobbstc

Hey guys, just picked this up off Ebay. Luckily it fits well, its labeled a 44. I was kind of guessing on the size. I need to replace the cuffs, but other than that its in great shape. The mouton is an almost golden color that didn't show up as well in the pic. Anyway, I bought it to put my patches on from the units I've been in. Some may say its sacrilege to put Army aviation patches on a G1, but my A2 is going to be too nice and too expensive to do that to.

7742612698_1561a60e58_z.jpg

7742615366_e17207f06e_z.jpg

jack aranda

Nice score. I thought about this one myself. Glad someone from here picked it up. Some pics with you wearing it would be cool.

Hobbstc

A couple of quick questions. First, where's the best place to get correct replacement knits? Aecond, what's the best thing to darken the white streaks where it's worn? Thanks!

MikeyB-17

This is pretty much identical to my first G-1, which was also a '63 Irvin B. in size 44. Mine also had a greyish leather under the surface-I used to use a bit of brown boot polish to cover the exposed areas, but it never really cured the problem as it tended to wear off. I think it's just part of the jacket's character. As for knits, in the US (I assume that's where you are) I'm not sure of the current favourites. Aero in Scotland do it, but they take forever. Have to say I personally wouldn't put patches on an original jacket that didn't relate to its history, but that's up to you.

Dr H

MikeyB-17 said:
Have to say I personally wouldn't put patches on an original jacket that didn't relate to its history, but that's up to you.

Your call of course, but I'm with Mikey here - very nice looking G-1 in a good size (I'd buy a good used GW or ELC A-2 and patch that).

Roughwear

Nice G1 with some character. I'm sure a local tailor or leather worker would replace the knits for you. I'm with the others here-please don't put patches on this jacket as they have no historical link with the jacket and could confuse buyers in the furture.

A

Anonymous

Hi looks like nice jacket but photos aren't very clear
I can't see the zipper from here
what zipper is it?

Hobbstc

I hear you guys. I bought this jacket for the purpose of patching it. Unfortunately the Army doesn't issue anything we can personalize anymore. I'll still consider your opinions though, but unless you can show me a GW for $120 (g1 purchase price) for me to patch, that's out of the question. I was really looking more for where to source the correct knits from, I have someone who can replace them. It's not like this is a rare contract or in perfect shape or anything, it's my "beater jacket" if you will.

Platon, I will let you know when I get home. Btw, sent you a PM earlier about ordering a BK.

Dr H

Very good purchase price - I'd have been tempted myself in that size/price.
Just as well that I wasn't presented with the choice!

watchmanjimg

Hobbstc said:
I hear you guys. I bought this jacket for the purpose of patching it. Unfortunately the Army doesn't issue anything we can personalize anymore. I'll still consider your opinions though, but unless you can show me a GW for $120 (g1 purchase price) for me to patch, that's out of the question. I was really looking more for where to source the correct knits from, I have someone who can replace them. It's not like this is a rare contract or in perfect shape or anything, it's my "beater jacket" if you will.

Platon, I will let you know when I get home. Btw, sent you a PM earlier about ordering a BK.

Couldn't you find a modern Cooper/Saddlery A-2 to patch? They're not too pricey and far better suited to your application than a historic Navy jacket.

Marv

watchmanjimg said:
Hobbstc said:

Couldn't you find a modern Cooper/Saddlery A-2 to patch? They're not too pricey and far better suited to your application than a historic Navy jacket.

I have to agree with that.

Hobbstc

Man, you guys are a tough crowd! :D Can I at least put my nametag on it? :mrgreen: And there's no way i'm wearing a Cooper. Can't stand the wya they look and are cut.

Anyway, Platon it has the big "paperclip" style Conmar zipper that used to be painted black.

Hobbstc

Ha! Not unless you send some greenbacks my way. I guess as long as I can nametag it and not be burned at the stake, I'll just get a cwu36p for my patches. Happy guys? ;)

Jason

They're a nice G-1, the IBF 7823B - have one myself and love it to bits. I subscribe to the less-is-more theory, but each to their own in regards to patching, but a nametag couldn't possibly be considered over the top, surely? If done closely resembling a naval FO name tag, it would be in keeping with the character of how these jackets normally look. Hell of a good price for a B series G-1 in relatively good condition - well done!

If you don't like the Cooper for the purposes of patching, then perhaps a later 7823E jacket... they're considered a dime a dozen and wouldn't be hard to find at all.