• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My collection 2015

NW Carver

STEVE S. said:
NW Carver said:
Thanks Wayne, the patched one needed some repair work as it was rather tired - a forum member kindly sold it to me, he had sewn it back together and repaired some of it - I finished it off by getting new knits put on, having the collar restored and a hole on the back shoulder blades repaired from the inside. Interestingly it has been 'branded' just above the left pocket with USN, while on the chest there are stitch holes for a wings/name/rank patch and also the remains of yellow stencilling that names a Squadron...very faded though...:-(

With regards to storing - yea, all mine were on hangars but after learning that this can harm the jackets over time (stretching the leather across the shoulder blades), so I have started to lay them flat where I can :D

is that the one you got from me many moons ago? It's the only one i've ever run across with that USN branded like that.

Yep, that's the one Steve :)

flyboy

John Lever said:
Roughwear said:
Which others are you referring to John?
Soren's jacket looks like the cuffs have a different shape and lack the same taper.

I wouldn't say that - but it might look like it, on this photo.
But they are "taper", as a matter of fact I often have the sleeve zippers 1/3 open, just in order to keep the temperature down. :)

flyboy

Just took these brand new photos. Tubular sleeves? I think not.

Sorry to hijack your post, NW Carver - it's an amazing collection, you've got there!!! :D

John Lever

It's more than that. If you look at some jackets the arm shape is created by very subtle curves to produce the taper. The arms on your jacket Soren have straight lines towards the ends. I am not saying this is incorrect just that I find the more complex shape more appealing.

Apparently when the arm panels in an original are taken apart there are no straight lines every piece is curved.
Look at this BoB I photographed for Ian. The sleeve curves outwards as it tapers, very subtle. The whole arm is curved towards the body to produce a pleasing effect.

NW Carver

Here are some close up's in the daylight of my Poughkeepsie leather with Andrews Diamond Co Poughkeepsie leather - hope your okay with this Andrew-please feel free to add some more here, as this just proves how outstanding the leather on that jacket is! I am just so shocked at how this repro is identical to my original - it could be from the same run of jackets!

The pockets on my original - pic 1

Original - pic 2

Original - pic 3

Andrews Poughkeepsie Diamond Co repro pocket - pic 1

Andrews Poughkeepsie Diamond Co repro pocket - pic 2

TankBuster

Very nice collection! It's great to see some nice originals. Really love your M-422a and Irvin jackets. I should really get the camera out as well some day.
As for storage, Vic hit most of the important aspects. I would just add that keeping humidity levels in the 40-50% area will really prolong the life of the leather. Too dry is a big problem and too humid promotes mold.

NW Carver

TankBuster said:
Very nice collection! It's great to see some nice originals. Really love your M-422a and Irvin jackets. I should really get the camera out as well some day.
As for storage, Vic hit most of the important aspects. I would just add that keeping humidity levels in the 40-50% area will really prolong the life of the leather. Too dry is a big problem and too humid promotes mold.

Thanks Jeff - will do mate :) And would be good to see your collection too :)

NW Carver

Peter Graham said:
Great jackets Nigel. Thanks for taking the time to photograph them. The Navy jackets are particularly nice.

Thanks Peter - yea, I do have a soft spot for the M442a and G1..I find them easier to wear and a little more flattering than the A2..and I always struggle to find a repro A2 that fits me right :-(

Thing is that I now worry about wearing my original M442as and G1s, as these all appear to be hard to find now...at some point I willl have to bite the bullet and get a repro G1 and another repro A2 (probably a JC or DD)...

Kind regards