• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My collection 2015

NW Carver

Thought I would post some pictures of my now consolidated collection - having sold nearly all my repros and a few originals to free up some cupboard space...

M442a - left hand side is a Willis and Geiger, right hand side there is no label but I think is the same maker

G1s - left hand side is a very worn/tired Pritzker 55J14, right hand side is a Werber J-7823.

G1s - left hand side is a LW Foster J-7823, right hand side is a Brill Bros.

G1s - left hand side is the Brill Bros in the pic above, right hand side is a Star Sportswear.

A2s - top is a Poughkeepsie, bottom is a depot 're-dye' and labelled as a Cable Raincoat but is actually a Perry (put the wrong label back in at the dept?) and was discussed before on the forum.

A2s - close up shot of above.

Irvins - left hand side is a Aces High repro, right hand side is a DGL original (many thanks to Andrew for identifying it).

Irvins-close up of Aces High Irvin leather against my original - almost an identical match!

All the jackets in my cupboard but wanted to check with you guys if this is the best way to store them, rather than on hangars?

johnwayne

Nice collection you have there, I really like the 2 m442a's, particularly the patched one!
Always promised myself a nice one if one my size (44) comes along but with 2 good G1s (both early Caglego's) I've resisted so far!!
As to storing I personally prefer hanging them but I guess it's whether or not you have the room - my jackets have a wardrobe to themselves and my wife has her own shoe cupboard so she can't complain!!!
Cheers
Wayne

NW Carver

Thanks Wayne, the patched one needed some repair work as it was rather tired - a forum member kindly sold it to me, he had sewn it back together and repaired some of it - I finished it off by getting new knits put on, having the collar restored and a hole on the back shoulder blades repaired from the inside. Interestingly it has been 'branded' just above the left pocket with USN, while on the chest there are stitch holes for a wings/name/rank patch and also the remains of yellow stencilling that names a Squadron...very faded though...:-(

With regards to storing - yea, all mine were on hangars but after learning that this can harm the jackets over time (stretching the leather across the shoulder blades), so I have started to lay them flat where I can :D

Roughwear

It is not to often these days that members post pictures of original jackets in their collection and it is really appreciated when they do. Thanks Nigel for taking the time to photograph your jackets. Apart from the Irvins which we have already discussed elsewhere I really like your m422A navel jackets. Decent examples from the 1940s are getting harder to find these days.

NW Carver

Thank you Andrew, and thank you so much for the info on the Irvin. Agree, the M422a jackets are my favs too - although I would still like to get a good repro A2 that fits like my original Poughkeepsie :)

Silver Surfer

dont ever hang your vintage jacs for reasons stated above. so often you will see a-2s, m series, g series jacs, offered for sale with that tell tale bulge at the shoulder tops, and or holes. this is due to the jackets being hung on hangers. some guys prefer mannequins, and they are right. however, if ya have ten jackets, so does that mean that ya need ten mannequins? point being they take up room. folding them back just above the pocket flaps, and then folding the sleeves [as close to the seam lines] over the front works for me. if they are in a pile, say three or more together, rotate the top jac down and bring the next one up to the top every 3-6 months, thereby insuring that the weight of the upper jacs dont flatten the ones below. temperature and humidity is a whole other kettle of fish, and unless you have a dedicated room that is climate controlled, ya just have to use common sense about not letting the jackets get moldy. a large old vintage [vintage because the wood no longer exudes oils and will absorb any moisture in the atmosphere] blanket chest or two works well. by moving them around periodicly you should keep an eye out for moth larve. oh, and were em, thats what they were made for. wearing them airs them out and keeps them draping as they should. ya have a nice collection of jacs there, keep em flying.

NW Carver

Not certain Andrew, the Poughkeepsie measures 22inches armpit to armpit and fits a little roomy, while the Perry measures 21inches armpit to armpit...

Roughwear

NW Carver said:
Not certain Andrew, the Poughkeepsie measures 22inches armpit to armpit and fits a little roomy, while the Perry measures 21inches armpit to armpit...

In that case the Poughkeepsie is likely to be a size 42 and the Perry a size 40.

NW Carver

Roughwear said:
NW Carver said:

In that case the Poughkeepsie is likely to be a size 42 and the Perry a size 40.

Thanks Andrew - yep, the Poughkeepsie is labelled as a 42, while the Perry has the incorrect Cable label with a 42 size on it too :)

With the Diamond Clothing Poughkeepsie, do the measurements come up to the same size, I.e. 22 inches armpit to armpit for a 42,

NW Carver

Roughwear said:
The pit measurement on the Diamond Poughkeepsie was around 23" so nearer to a Wartime 44. It's a fantastic repro which I would highly recommend Nigel.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=18012

I know Andrew, I have compared that jacket to my original and am really stunned - it is a 100% match to my Poughkeepsie in colour, look and the leather, even the leather training on the pockets is identical to my original...I am flabbergasted how good that jacket is!

I will try to take some close pics of my original and compare against your - you will see then! :)

STEVE S.

NW Carver said:
Thanks Wayne, the patched one needed some repair work as it was rather tired - a forum member kindly sold it to me, he had sewn it back together and repaired some of it - I finished it off by getting new knits put on, having the collar restored and a hole on the back shoulder blades repaired from the inside. Interestingly it has been 'branded' just above the left pocket with USN, while on the chest there are stitch holes for a wings/name/rank patch and also the remains of yellow stencilling that names a Squadron...very faded though...:-(

With regards to storing - yea, all mine were on hangars but after learning that this can harm the jackets over time (stretching the leather across the shoulder blades), so I have started to lay them flat where I can :D

is that the one you got from me many moons ago? It's the only one i've ever run across with that USN branded like that.