• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mouton

Micawber

A chunk of fur went missing because areas of the collar are showing small areas of dry rot. I really like the look of the collar because the mouton has worn around the edges and gives it a timeworn look that matches with the rest of the jacket. Replacing the whole collar will change the look...I didn't see when that piece of mouton flaked off, but there's a possible chance it's somewhere on the floor trapped in some dust bunnies under my bookshelf etc. I'll have to get under and take a look for it.

If it has a patch missing due to rot then you can put money on it shedding or flaking other bits too. If you attempt to glue bits back on it will change the characteristic of the underlying hide potentially causing the surrounding area to crack and peel. Obviously you can try but the only way the guarantee a lasting fix is replacement... you could even shave the new bit to match the worn areas of the old one.

Been there, done it, got the Y Fronts ;)

John Lever

This looks like Mouton(to me)
Screenshot_20231129_185851_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20231129_185851_Chrome.jpg

Kermit3D

What about the B-10 ?
On my B-10 Bronson, the collar looks like curly "sheepskin". On Bronson's site it says "Mouton fur collar", but it doesn't look like what is described in this thread.
On the B-10 Buzz Rickson (for example), the collar looks like those you can see on the G-1 (real "mouton").

Did original B-10 all have "mouton" collars ? were some made of curly sheepskin ?

I suspect a lack of precision on the collar of the B-10 Bronson.

Bronson B-10 :

1701336610045.png

Buzz Rickson B-10 :

1701336701722.png

The B-10 ELC also looks like a curly sheepskin type fur? (with a strange pointed shape) :

1701336935807.png

All this compares to the original B-10 Stagg Coat from Wz1999 :

1701337168905.png

Last edited:

Kermit3D

Hello G..
Mouton only as already discussed…
However, some tend to compact with aging and wear.. but certainly not like the ELC ones ( no bashing intended)..
Just compare with the originals seen all over..
Thank you Brice. It is only mouton, but as it ages it can sometimes have a curly appearance.

Micawber

Thank you Brice. It is only mouton, but as it ages it can sometimes have a curly appearance.

Conjecturing here but I think perhaps the initial processing that results in the fur like texture may wear off a bit over time after exposure to the elements and wear? Certainly some of the cream / white collars on jackets like the B10 were perhaps more sheep wool in appearance even when new. I have some period close up images that I will post up later.

Pilot

Conjecturing here but I think perhaps the initial processing that results in the fur like texture may wear off a bit over time after exposure to the elements and wear? Certainly some of the cream / white collars on jackets like the B10 were perhaps more sheep wool in appearance even when new. I have some period close up images that I will post up later.
Fully agree!
Well said!

Pilot

Bronson uses a "dead Teddy bear" for their collars :p
Well said… stop riding your horse if you saved feeding it.
My Grandpa had a saying…( he departed for ever in 1985… too early…):
Quote:
There are two qualities of horse oat…:
One is top quality it goes into the horses…
Anotherone is also oat… but it comes out of the horses… its called s..t …
Both products are oat…
End of quote.
Apologies, had to get rid of this…:) and really liked my Grandpa..
A wise man… it still applies..

Saint-ex

What about the B-10 ?
On my B-10 Bronson, the collar looks like curly "sheepskin". On Bronson's site it says "Mouton fur collar", but it doesn't look like what is described in this thread.
On the B-10 Buzz Rickson (for example), the collar looks like those you can see on the G-1 (real "mouton").

Did original B-10 all have "mouton" collars ? were some made of curly sheepskin ?

I suspect a lack of precision on the collar of the B-10 Bronson.

Bronson B-10 :

View attachment 129037

Buzz Rickson B-10 :

View attachment 129039

The B-10 ELC also looks like a curly sheepskin type fur? (with a strange pointed shape) :

View attachment 129041

All this compares to the original B-10 Stagg Coat from Wz1999 :

View attachment 129045

Nothing beat the Pike Brothers !
1701357710335.png

ZuZu

Pretty sure the white B-10 collars were just sheepskin. No moutonizing involved.