• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mouton

John Lever

Subject to recent controversy so let's see if we can agree about what Mouton actually is ?
From Wiki -

Mouton fur (North America) or beaver lamb (UK) is sheepskin which has been processed to resemble beaver or seal fur[10] (mouton is French for "sheep"). Mouton fur is lambskin whose hair has been straightened, chemically treated, and thermally set to produce a moisture-repellent finish. Mouton is often dyed brown to resemble beaver, but it is also made in many other colors.

ZuZu

Subject to recent controversy so let's see if we can agree about what Mouton actually is ?
From Wiki -

Mouton fur (North America) or beaver lamb (UK) is sheepskin which has been processed to resemble beaver or seal fur[10] (mouton is French for "sheep"). Mouton fur is lambskin whose hair has been straightened, chemically treated, and thermally set to produce a moisture-repellent finish. Mouton is often dyed brown to resemble beaver, but it is also made in many other colors.
Like I said...

Smithy

This should maybe even be a sticky John as it became obvious in that other thread that several guys had no idea what mouton is or what the term actually meant.

John Lever

I wonder if the process is now considered to be too polluting or too expensive?
There are so few tanneries operating now and most of them offer a very limited product range and are high inflexible about small batch runs.

Dumpster D

While on the subject. I have a Cagleco sportswear G-1 which I recently noticed, has a Large chunk of mouton missing from the collar since I got it. Please let me know where I could find a patch or small piece of mouton to make a repair patch, if possible? Would be grateful to hear any suggestions or thoughts.

Smithy

I wonder if the process is now considered to be too polluting or too expensive?
There are so few tanneries operating now and most of them offer a very limited product range and are high inflexible about small batch runs.

I think that it's waned because of two factors John.

The first is how mouton was used to simulate fur especially for women's coats. The fact that fur is terribly unpopular now means that that has dried up a lot of demand for it.

Secondly, the military demand for collars and suchlike. This has been long overtaken but better and (probably) cheaper materials.

B-Man2

While on the subject. I have a Cagleco sportswear G-1 which I recently noticed, has a Large chunk of mouton missing from the collar since I got it. Please let me know where I could find a patch or small piece of mouton to make a repair patch, if possible? Would be grateful to hear any suggestions or thoughts.
Check eBay for vintage woman mouton coats.
You can pick up mouton at very low prices and have enough left over for life or to sell and get your money back .

Dumpster D

Although I said 'large chunk' It's only about 2 square inches. I wouldn't recycle an entire coat for just a small patch. I only Thought maybe someone here would have some leftover from a project they might be able to swap/trade for etc. since I don't need too much.

bseal

Although I said 'large chunk' It's only about 2 square inches.

“It's only about 2 square inches.”

IMG_2548.gif

Last edited:

Pilot

Although I said 'large chunk' It's only about 2 square inches. I wouldn't recycle an entire coat for just a small patch. I only Thought maybe someone here would have some leftover from a project they might be able to swap/trade for etc. since I don't need too much.
With all due respect, it will not work since you would need precisely the same color, the same structure, etc.
Also the shipping costs might be more than a 2“ chunk is worth.
Go for the real thing and replace it all over.
I have original material and can ship after Dec.8th.
Pm if interested.

Micawber

While most large mouton garments such as jackets and coats were made up of part skins with bits sewn together using special sewing machines, letting bits in to repair small damaged patches is difficult and time consuming. As Pilot states not least of the difficulties is getting a decent colour and texture match but you will more than likely find that other parts potentially frail or rotten making removal of the collar to repair and let in unviable. Replacing the whole fur is the only guaranteed way to a decent and durable repair.

Dumpster D

A chunk of fur went missing because the collar is showing small areas of dry rot. I really like the look of the collar because the mouton has worn around the edges and gives it a timeworn look that matches with the rest of the jacket. Replacing the whole collar will change the look...I didn't see when that piece of mouton flaked off, but there's a possible chance it's somewhere on the floor trapped in some dust bunnies under my bookshelf etc. I'll have to get under and take a look for it.

Last edited:

B-Man2

As most here have suggested you would be better off replacing the entire collar because the base of the mouton collar is dried and rotting . It will be a continuous problem for you but … it’s your call … good luck with whatever you decide to do .