• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Making A-2 practice pieces...

zoomer

It's like I always say - the clothes business is a closed business. No one wants the dedicated home hobbyist learning to make quality stuff - what if a trend caught on?

fishmeok

yankee air pirate said:
There is really nothing to see other than me practicing sewing straight seams. Right now I have patterned 2 vintage jackets and am going to pattern a dubow, but I have had a hell of a time sourcing HH leather. The few that do sell it either only sell in large bulk quantities or only have heavy chap (5-6oz) leather. All I would need is 1 or 2 hides. Even finding a decent cow has took some time!

I know it's hard to get thin horsehide, it took John a while to get some decent hides. You might want to give him a ring, he can probably give you some good leads to source, and his advice on A-2 construction saved me a LOT of hassle and wasted time.

BTW, what machine do you use?
Cheers
MArk

yankee air pirate

I am using an old 60's Moorse sewing machine. It was giving to me a while ago and can sew up to 4 layers of 2-3oz leather. Anything more than that it starts to jam up. I am going to make up a test jacket soon usings a 50's Sears Hercules jacket I patterned. But until I find some horsehide or a good cowhide the dubow will have to wait.

fishmeok

Re: Making A-2 practice pieces... Wilis & Geiger

I'm continuing my education with some old cheap jackets in the closet. This is a W&G that I used to practice making and installing my first liner as well as the replacing knits and re-painting the jacket to resemble a re-spray . It turned out pretty well, but I had some serious problems getting the liner edges along the zipper correct because I had to use the original holes (plus I made the main body of the new liner too friggin short). I took pics during the process as will make a longer write up when i get the time...
Cheers
Mark

Before, with the crappy liner and knits removed.
DSCN3449.jpg

After: new liner, knits, and paint...

DSCN3552.jpg

DSCN3527.jpg

DSCN3530.jpg

DSCN3536.jpg

fishmeok

Hell no- there is no WAY I would be able to put up with the OC nitpicking from you guys :lol:

Besides, this is too much work for a lazy guy like me.... I just want to get good enough at it for my own satisfaction, and 'cause I like to make stuff. I have a long list of jackets I want to try and make, but I still have LONG way to go.
Cheers
Mark

fishmeok

This is kind of interesting- to see how the finish I airbrushed on the W&G would hold up under extreme conditions I threw it into my environmental test chamber, also known as the washer. I'm disappointed that so much of the finish came off, but it did turn out pretty nifty. I think a coat of something to tone down the differences and it will look fairly close to a very worn example of the genuine item.
Cheers
Mark

DSCN3556.jpg

DSCN3558.jpg

DSCN3561.jpg

DSCN3560.jpg

fishmeok

The Willis&Geiger is officially finished. I toned down the wear and re-stitched some. Also added the hanger (done with semi-original color leather as that part would probably not be spray-dyed) and re-sewed the label. I think it turned out pretty well, though I am still not satisfied with some of the liner stitching. This jacket is a modern 44, but it's a little tight in the shoulders and uncomfortable with anything other than a t-shirt or light shirt on underneath. When we get tired of wearing it it will probably go up on e-bay to fund still more projects. I like the cut, but it has a ridiculously big collar stand and kind of an Elvis Vegas jumpsuit collar thing going on if I don't wear it open and unsnapped.
Cheers
Mark

DSCN3608.jpg

DSCN3606.jpg

DSCN3642.jpg

DSCN3641.jpg

DSCN3616.jpg

DSCN3629.jpg

DSCN3651.jpg

DSCN3649.jpg

DSCN3631.jpg

DSCN3637.jpg

bfrench

Administrator
fishmeok said:
The Willis&Geiger is officially finished. I toned down the wear and re-stitched some. Also added the hanger (done with semi-original color leather as that part would probably not be spray-dyed) and re-sewed the label. I think it turned out pretty well, though I am still not satisfied with some of the liner stitching. This jacket is a modern 44, but it's a little tight in the shoulders and uncomfortable with anything other than a t-shirt or light shirt on underneath. When we get tired of wearing it it will probably go up on e-bay to fund still more projects. I like the cut, but it has a ridiculously big collar stand and kind of an Elvis Vegas jumpsuit collar thing going on if I don't wear it open and unsnapped.
Cheers
Mark

Hi, Mark,

An absolutely job - for once I'm speechless.

Now that you've almost reached the end - yeah right :D :p , would you consider doing a photo essay for the How To section.

There are so many possibilities for people to learn - repairing seams, replacing cuffs and waistbands and even for the daring, replacing the linings. Maybe even adding a fur collar to a jacket.

Again, I really appreciate what you have done and wonder at your drive to go and take on such a project and still maintain a full time job and keep a marriage together also.

Bill French

fishmeok

So I'm ready to make my first jacket. I ended up taking apart the civi horsehide jacket I bought off e-bay and making re-sized patterns out of it- a lot harder than I thought it would be to accomplish. I made the liner tonight to try out my re-sized patterns, and I will be cutting leather this weekend. I have two large hides to work with, one I actually paid money for, and one cheapy from e-bay that I will have to re-dye before sewing it together. I really like the russet hide, it has very nice grain and will look good as an A-2. I'm going to make the civilian first because I was able to take the jacket apart and make patterns- I tried to make them with the jacket assembled, but that didn't work out too well. The stitching was rotten anyway so I just took it apart. The jacket I am going to make will have Dubow pockets and epaulets and i may copy the three piece sleeves to save some hide, depends on how it cuts.

Pile o' pattern jacket:
DSCN4023.jpg

More practice pieces-
DSCN4036.jpg

DSCN4039.jpg

My two hides- guess which one I'm going to have to dye
DSCN4046.jpg

The patterns, original size (about a 40) and resized to a 46
DSCN4026.jpg

This should be fun.
Cheers
Mark