• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Latest win, a CWU-45P

deand

Won moments ago. Looks like genuine issue. Went for $56 +$15 S&H. Stayed close to my budget on the bidding. Hoping it's a good'n!

CdT5SQCWkKGrHqMOKiEEzQgM2swBNDBg9HWDw_3.jpg

CdT7vQ2kKGrHqEOKpIEyjC0SuoBNDBhJJhQ_3.jpg

dean

watchmanjimg

Good score, Dean! It's legit. Some gripe about the quality of Isratex as I believe the company is a bit controversial, but I doubt yours will see the hard use typical of military service. Enjoy!

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Good work, Dean ... :)

Perhaps I don't see enough, but the Isratex jackets I've found here always seem to be a little darker in colour, and without the sheen.

deand

Thanks, Dave. These jackets just look so thin, it's hard to believe they're for cold weather wear, when you see how thick an MA-1 is.

dean

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
deand said:
Thanks, Dave. These jackets just look so thin, it's hard to believe they're for cold weather wear, when you see how thick an MA-1 is.

Yes, they're surprisingly warm, and much easier to wear, less bulky than a MA-1 ... and for me, they're a better fit. I need a Large in the MA-1 to get the lengths, but a Medium 45/P fits well.

Weasel_Loader

Nice grab Dean. Knew you'd find one sooner or later. I loved my -45, but had the earlier version with the pleated back. Almost everyone here prefers the early models, but for me, I kept snagging the back side of the jacket on everything while working around aircraft. Might someday indulge myself in a new version if I can find for cheap.

deand

Weasel_Loader said:
Nice grab Dean. Knew you'd find one sooner or later. I loved my -45, but had the earlier version with the pleated back. Almost everyone here prefers the early models, but for me, I kept snagging the back side of the jacket on everything while working around aircraft. Might someday indulge myself in a new version if I can find for cheap.

I did a little research through the forum about the CWU-45P and noticed you mentioned snagging them on B-52 ejection seat pins! :shock: Yikes! My only reservation is that the Isratex reputation is shady, and it got me wondering about the overall sturdiness of this jacket, apart from the fact that I do not have any involvement in the military wearing and usage...just a tax payer bilked by Isratex hi-jinks. In the first photo, that cigarette pocket on the sleeve seems to extend outward from the sleeve body, which I attribute to what I'd call a 'bellows" design, expandibility inherent in how it was manufactured. Then it occurs to me that the threads could have let loose and it's justing hanging there. :? Those who own one could set me straight on that.

dean

dilbert

I believe the Isratex problems occurred with their manufacture of clothing for the Army and did not concern their flight jackets. As I recall they delivered chemical warfare clothing that was poorly made, holes in some, threadbare in others, overall bad quality. After investigation one of the Isratex partners fled overseas and the other was prosecuted and jailed.

As for the 45's snagging on ejection seats, I am not familiar with the B-52 details but the earliest jackets had bi-swing backs that were a concern to the Air Force as they might interfere with ejection seats. The design was changed in 1982 to do away with the bi-swing backs. I have an older model with the back and prefer it as they are more comfortable. From what I have seen the bi-swing backs fetch more money on eBay but it is more of a challenge to find one in good condition due to their age.

The bi-swing backs were used for both the CWU-45P and its lighter counterpart, the 36P as well.

dilbert

Sorry, forgot about the "cigarette pocket." They do extend bellows-like from the body of the jacket and is the same design that has been used for years on flight suits. It is quite normal to find loose threads (Irish Pennants) on all jackets of all manufacturers and is not a problem. I have a number of jackets from different manufacturers (including one Isratex- a fine jacket, as good as any of the others) and they all have hanging threads here and there.

Weasel_Loader

Yes, I do remember mentioning it Dean. Of course when I was active duty, I never wore any flight gear, but still managed to catch my field jacket on B-52 seats. Working the aircraft as a civilian and wearing my early model CWU-45, I found that it wouldn't be long before I ripped the jacket and soon stopped wearing it.

I think you'll have no problem with the Isratex Dean. Let us know when you get it. ;)

Atticus

Dean, I think that you'll really enjoy wearing your new CWU. I remember being a bit unimpressed with first one I bought because I thought it felt "plastic" and stiff. The more I wore it, though, the more I came to like it. In my opinion, CWUs are very warm for their weight. They are comfortabe to wear...cut generously for the "modern" man and aren't too short in the body like MA-1s and L-2bs. They have quasi-usefull pockets...not as usefull as MA-1 pockets, but nothing will ever beat the MA-1 in the pocket catagory. Maybe best of all, CWUs are fire resistant. Just saying. You never know when you might have to rush into your neighbor's burning house to rescue his beautiful wife....I mean, family.

By the way, my two most-worn CWUs are both eighty-something Isratexs. The only problems I've had with them seem to be common in all nomex jackets, that is, the seams sometimes need to be resewn. I think that nomex thread is just not as capable of withstanding abrasion as are other kinds of thread and it tends to fail sooner or later, especially at stress points.

AF

deand

Atticus, you bring up a point I realized when I first saw one of those jackets: I thought the pockets looked positivelyl absurd. I still do. I realize there's this need to avoid making it easy to put your hands in your pockets, and all that, but flaps that look like you've got landing gear inside the jacket are just lame. I guess you'd get used to the look overtime, and afterall it's work wear, not a fashion statement item.

dean

HackerF15E

deand said:
I thought the pockets looked positivelyl absurd. I still do. I realize there's this need to avoid making it easy to put your hands in your pockets,

IMHO it IS because of utility, and not fashion. My understanding was that the angle of the entry to the pockets on the 36/P and 45/P has to do with them being accessible while wearing a parachute harness.

I had always heard that it was the A-2 in which the story went (rumored, but probably also not true) that AAF leadership didn't want pilots walking around looking like mobsters with their hands in their pockets. My belief is that this story, too, is false, and that the top-entry pockets are also due to the tight confines of 30s and 40s fighter cockpits and the constraints of parachute harnesses.

If I get a chance this next week, I'll take some photos of the A-2 and the 36/P while wearing a chute harness and it'll be pretty obvious why side-entry pockets just wouldn't work.

deand

Well, it's here! It fits. It needs some sewing on the right pocket. And it is wrinkled all over, just like the picture. What do I do to elimimate the wrinkles? Warm iron with a towel between it and the jacket? Tumble dry at low heat? Your ideas are welcome. I like the jacket. Nice feel to it. I'll get pics up after I deal with the wrinkle issue.

dean

HackerF15E

If you're not concerned about maintaining the fire resistance of the Aramid, then the clothes dryer is just fine.

deand

HackerF15E said:
If you're not concerned about maintaining the fire resistance of the Aramid, then the clothes dryer is just fine.

Thanks! Did some online research, and they said an iron set at permanent press could be used. I did it. It looks better. The fire resistance is not a big issue for me, since I don't fly aircraft. Thank for the reply, Hacker!

dean

Atticus

Just picked up another CWU-45/P from ebay. Got it for the opening bid. I'm not sure why because it wasn't listed that badly. I sure hope that I'm not missing something. Here's some photos from the auction. As you can see, the jacket is kinda velcroed up, so maybe that's why nobody wanted it, I dunno.

Anyhow, it appears to be a mid-eighties Valley Apparel, a maker with which I am totally unfamiliar. I'm thinking I'll keep the jacket if I like it, otherwise, I'll give it to my sorta brother-in-law. He's tickled pink with any kind of flight jacket as long as it is free.

If the weather doesn't soon warm up, so I can do something other than sit indoors and prowl ebay, I'm gonna go broke.

CBko2KwCWkKGrHqJi4E0FlSuh8tBNIPu6g140_12.jpg

CBko5pgEGkKGrHqNlcEzwnlkBNIPvFWbFw0_12.jpg

AF

MikeyB-17

The CWU's are my favourite of the cloth jackets. I had a bi-swing 45/P, sold it and had to get another because I missed it. I think they're quite sharp looking, without the thuggish look that the MA-1 has (or has become associated with in Europe, through no fault of its own). I've never owned a 36/P, which one day I must rectify. I've only ever had bi-swing ones, never had any problems with it snagging, although I don't spend too much time around aircraft. You can get the bi-swing ones cheap if you're patient, but I've seen them going for silly money.

deand

Thanks for posting your jacket! I must admit, I love the wearability of my CWU-45p, and the warmth, and I even really love the look. Honestly, they are phenomenal jackets! I'm gunning for a 36p for spring/summer. But those dang prices are creeping up in size Large everytime I look!.

dean