• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just won this A-2 on Ebay

shanghai joe

bazelot said:
Miles_Archer said:
Now THAT is dry rot.
Probably but it seems to be limited to the shoulder area. I am buying it for the history (P47 pilot) not to wear :) I can't wait to get the name and track him down.

good luck baze

........keep us informed on condition and provenance tracking........too bad it doesn't have a name tag.......can't have em all, eh?

like you say you're buying it for the provenance so enjoy :)

bazelot

Yup provenance. Hopefully it is not dry rot. Even if it is, it's nothing a can of Pecard can't fix :)
seriously though i am thrilled. I never had an A-2 jacket from a fighter pilot before. Too bad the name tag is gone though. I will post pics when I get it.

zoomer

Anyone ever hear of this goo called Cellugel? It's made for book bindings with red rot - supposedly kills the rot and makes the powdery layer set up.

A

Anonymous

bristolherc said:
Miles_Archer said:
What is your definition of dry rot?

Ummmm,

Depends on whether you are the vendor or not.

My favourite description from vendors is "minor surface flaking" .

In my experience with collecting WW2 RAF head gear, this statement means it has red rot and it's f*cked. I don't think jackets are any different.

BEVAN

Amusing. I'll remember to rephrase any actual 'minor surface flaking' to 'abrasion'.
I would agree with Miles - that's dry rot.

shanghai joe

Tranquility Base said:
bristolherc said:
Miles_Archer said:

Ummmm,

In my experience with collecting WW2 RAF head gear, this statement means it has red rot and it's f*cked. I don't think jackets are any different.

BEVAN

Amusing. I'll remember to rephrase any actual 'minor surface flaking' to 'abrasion'.
I would agree with Miles - that's dry rot.

spin spin spin.......

no dry rot no dry rot

derma-abrasion derma-abrasion derma-abrasion

spinee queenie

zoomer

According to this conservator, dry rot properly describes a fungus that only occurs in wood or wood pulp products. The stuff that happens to leather is red rot or leather rot, a chemical reaction.

bazelot

zoomer said:
According to this conservator, dry rot properly describes a fungus that only occurs in wood or wood pulp products. The stuff that happens to leather is red rot or leather rot, a chemical reaction.

That's what I thought. I thought leather rot was red.

A

Anonymous

bazelot said:
zoomer said:

Courtesy of Andrew...

RIMG0024.jpg

bazelot

Tranquility Base said:
bazelot said:
zoomer said:

Courtesy of Andrew...

RIMG0024.jpg

Ouch, This hurts just to look at it!!!

bristolherc said:
Miles_Archer said:

Ummmm,

BEVAN

To illustrate my point ( I know Andrew has put up good pic's of a jacket as well ), this is an RAF Type B helmet that had no bids on eBay, because;

125321776_o1.jpg

it has red rot. At least the vendor did not try and cover it up with "boat glue" or some such, and layers of "Goo-cards",

He merely states " the only slight fault is the outer top is scuffed: the thin surface has worn off, otherwise in excellent condition and very wearable" !!!!!

Like I said, it's fucked.

BEVAN

BEVAN

shanghai joe

interesting if the conditon is red rot and NOT dry-rot?

so it's no misrepresentation if a vendor describes the item as having NO dry rot? after all it's suffering form red rot...........

oooops have I opened up another can of..worms?? ;)

bazelot

Just got the jacket. It came with a lot of paperwork. The pilot's name is Robert W. Schafer he was a pilot in the 506 squadron, 404 Fighter Group, 9th Air Force. I am going to have to do some research on this pilot. Any good sites for the 404th?
The jacket itself is in ok shape. i will put picture as soon as I have them. It is hard to say whether the dry sections are dry rot or not.

shanghai joe

bazelot said:
Just got the jacket. It came with a lot of paperwork. The pilot's name is Robert W. Schafer he was a pilot in the 506 squadron, 404 Fighter Group, 9th Air Force. I am going to have to do some research of this pilot. Any good sites for the 404th?
The jacket itself is in ok shape. i will put picture as soon as I have them. It is hard to say whether the dry sections are dry rot or not.

any pix of the pilot WEARING his A2?? That'll be so koooooooool..........

bazelot

I will post pics of the jacket tonight. The seller will also send me more original pics of the pilot. Unfortunately the jacket does not fit me. In the papers i got it says that he was 5 feet 4 inches tall. I guess those fighter pilots were pretty small :)
I still have to ID the manufacturer of the jacket also.

shanghai joe

bazelot said:
I will post pics of the jacket tonight. The seller will also send me more original pics of the pilot. Unfortunately the jacket does not fit me. In the papers i got it says that he was 5 feet 4 inches tall. I guess those fighter pilots were pretty small :)
I still have to ID the manufacturer of the jacket also.

keep us updated!